Boba Smoothie (4 Ways!)This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Take your boba obsession to the next level with a boba smoothie! From the sweet flavor of the boba pearls to the creamy base of the smoothie, this recipe will satisfy your bubble tea cravings in the most delicious way with 4 different flavors to try! Boba lovers can enjoy this smoothie for an easy breakfast or fun snack.
The only thing better than boba teas are yummy boba smoothies! They make for a unique, cold, and refreshing beverage with chewy tapioca pearls. The combination of the sweetness of the smoothie with the chewiness of the boba makes it a seriously delightful experience! If you’ve never tried it, you will love the texture of boba and how fun it is to get to the bottom of the cup.
This refreshing boba smoothie is made by blending fruit and other desired ingredients, like yogurt or juice, together in a blender. These ingredients vary by the flavor you choose, but they are all topped with tapioca pearls, which are also known as boba or bubble tea pearls.
The boba pearls are added to the top of the drink and stirred in after it has been blended. Keep reading for the best boba smoothie flavors, from a mango smoothie to honeydew or strawberry banana! Pull out that high-speed blender, and let’s get started!
👩🏽🍳 Why You’ll Love Boba Smoothies
- Delicious & Refreshing: The boba drink recipe is fresh tasting and takes a normal smoothie to the next level. It is perfect for hot summer days or any time of year.
- A Fun Twist: Bubble milk teas in their original form are so fun and tasty! Adding brown sugar boba to a smoothie is a great twist that you will love.
- Lots Of Flavors: We have included 4 delicious flavor combinations and even more variations so there’s something for everyone with this recipe!
- Healthy Treat: This boba smoothie is a healthy sweet treat with nutrient-rich ingredients.
Latest Recipe Video!
This smoothie with tapioca can be made in so many different flavors! You’ll need tapioca pearls and brown sugar. The rest of the ingredients will depend on which flavor you choose. Find these ingredients at the grocery store or local asian market. Keep reading for flavor variations for this delicious drink.
- Tapioca Pearls: Tapioca in smoothies is so delicious! This recipe is written for regular (white) chewy boba pearls, but you can use black tapioca balls and skip adding the brown sugar.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar is used to flavor the plain tapioca pearls.
Strawberry Banana Boba Smoothie
- Strawberries: Use fresh strawberries for a more intense flavor.
- Frozen Banana: Using frozen bananas will give this more of a smoothie texture.
- Coconut Yogurt: Coconut yogurt works to sweeten this drink and make it creamy.
- Almond Milk: Almond milk is the liquid that will help these ingredients blend together and not be too thick to drink.
- Maple Syrup: A healthier sweetener for this strawberry banana smoothie. You can also use honey.
Mango Boba Smoothie
- Frozen Mango Chunks: You can use fresh mango if you want this to have a little less of that frozen texture in your mango boba smoothies.
- Frozen Pineapple: Frozen or fresh, but use at least one frozen fruit in this recipe.
- Coconut Water: Coconut water adds the perfect tropical flavor.
- Almond Milk: Use any milk you like, whether that be vegan or skim milk. This is just for mixing and thinning a little.
- Maple Syrup: This is optional but can add a little more sweetness if you want it.
Honeydew Boba Smoothie
- Diced Honeydew: This melon flavor is refreshing and sweet.
- Coconut Yogurt: Coconut yogurt gives this a creamy consistency.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla really enhances the flavors in this recipe.
- Frozen Pineapple: Use frozen pineapple for a cold and thicker smoothie texture.
Blueberry Boba Smoothie
- Frozen Blueberries: I recommend using frozen blueberries to keep this smoothie cold and thick.
- Frozen Banana: Frozen banana is great for thickness and creaminess.
- Maple Syrup: Add maple syrup for extra sweetness. You can also use honey.
- Chia Seeds: These add nutritional value, but you won’t taste them.
- Almond Milk: Use any plant-based milk you want, or even dairy milk if you prefer.
- Almond Butter: Almond butter gives this drink a richer flavor and adds to the bulk of it. It will be much more filling with this ingredient.
🔪 How To Make A Boba Smoothie
This recipe is so easy! You’ll make whatever smoothie flavor you wish with your fruit of choice, and then add the boba. Find the exact measurements for this recipe down below on the recipe card. Here is how to make this easy boba tea smoothie:
Cook Tapioca Pearls: Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the tapioca pearls and reduce heat. Simmer for 5-6 minutes. Read your boba package instructions to see how many cups of water it recommends.
Mix Pearls & Brown Sugar: Strain the pearls, and then add to a small bowl while hot. Stir the brown sugar through the cup of tapioca pearls. Set aside and allow to cool.
Blend: Prepare the milk tea smoothie by adding all smoothie ingredients into a high speed blender and blending until smooth.
Add Pearls: Divide the cooked tapioca pearls between 2 serving glasses and top with smoothie.
Serve and enjoy!
💭 Expert Tips
- Cook Pearls When Ready To Use. It’s best to cook the tapioca pearls when needed and not ahead of time.
- Adjust Thickness: Adjust this drink’s thickness to suit your tastes by adding additional almond milk or coconut water. If you accidentally make it too thin, you can thicken it up with ice cubes or by tossing in a little more frozen fruit.
- Choose Your Favorite: Choose your favorite boba smoothie flavors from the ideas above. With options for strawberry banana, blueberry, honeydew melon, and mango you really can’t go wrong. Each one is packed with flavor and is so easy to make.
- Fresh Or Frozen: You can play with the texture and consistency by using a mix of fresh fruit and frozen fruit.
- Other Fruits: Try other fruit combinations with items like passion fruit, dragon fruit, or peaches.
- Add Protein: Use protein powder for extra protein content and more fuel.
- Strawberry Without Banana: Leave the banana out for a strawberry boba smoothie with stronger berry flavor!
- Orange Mango Smoothie: Add in orange juice to the boba mango smoothie for an extra refreshing drink.
- Boba Milkshake: Make this a boba shake by adding in vanilla ice cream for a sweeter, creamier drink that makes for a great dessert. Top with cool whip!
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Serve your bubble tea smoothie in a tall glass with a boba straw. It is best served right after it’s blended! For a more filling breakfast or healthy snack, serve it as a smoothie bowl with a thicker consistency. Add the boba pearls to the top of the bowl with fresh fruits. Add other toppings like toasted coconut flakes, high protein granola, drizzle of nut butter or vegan nutella, hemp seeds, or some strawberry crunch topping! Get some inspiration from this banana smoothie bowl!
🙌 Dietary Adaptations
This boba smoothie recipe is versatile and can accommodate a vegan or gluten free diet! It is also soy-free and refined sugar free. If you have a nut allergy, skip the almond milk and almond butter that may be found in these recipes depending on the variation you choose. Go with oat milk, coconut milk, whole milk, or soy milk instead!
For best results, follow these directions on how to store and keep this blended boba tea fruit smoothie.
To Store In The Fridge: This smoothie with boba is best served immediately for the freshest taste and texture. However, if you have leftovers, you can store it in a mason jar or airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It may be a little watery or separated the next day, so be sure to stir it before drinking.
To Freeze: If you’d like, you can freeze this boba smoothie for a few days in a covered cup or ice cube trays.
To Re-Serve: If refrigerated, mix the smoothie with bubble tea pearls and enjoy. If frozen, let the smoothie thaw in the fridge until softened and drinkable. Give it a good stir and enjoy. You can also blend the frozen cubes with milk or water.
The tapioca smoothie is a delicious and nutritious twist on classic bubble tea. It’s made with your favorite frozen fruit mixed with creamy milk or coconut water, and poured over tasty boba pearls for an indulgent treat. With all the possibilities to customize this recipe, you can create a one-of-a-kind concoction that will tantalize your taste buds.
A boba smoothie is a healthier version of boba tea because it includes more nutritious ingredients like fruit and plant milk. With all smoothies, the amount of health benefits you receive is really up to you! You can keep it clean and healthy with wholesome ingredients like fresh fruit, nut milk, yogurt, and seeds.
Tapioca pearls are those little pearls found in bubble tea that you’ve likely seen. They are created by combining tapioca starch, which comes from the cassava plant, with boiling water. This mixture is then kneaded to create a dough-like texture. The boba pearls are jelly-like with a chewy texture, for a tasty burst of sweetness like a small candy. Boba is commonly added to tea like green tea or black tea with milk and sweetener, but is great in all of your favorite drinks.
Boba or tapioca pearls are not only edible, but it’s recommended that you chew them to get the full texture experience. The white (clear) tapioca pearls have little to no flavor, but black tapioca pearls are soaked in brown sugar or caramel coloring and have a sweet flavor. You can sip them up with a wide straw or enjoy them after you’re done with the smoothie.
🥤 More Tasty Smoothie Recipes!
- Jackfruit Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Avocado Smoothie
- Pineapple And Banana Smoothie
- Broccoli Smoothie
- Pineapple Cucumber Smoothie
- Raspberry Smoothie
- Dragon Fruit Smoothie
- Apple Carrot Smoothie
- Fruit and Vegetable Smoothie
- Banana Peach Smoothie
Love this healthy smoothie recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Boba Smoothie (4 Ways!)
Boba Ingredients (For All Flavors)
- ½ cup tapioca pearls
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
Strawberry Banana Flavor
Honeydew Melon Flavor
- 1 cup diced honeydew melon
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil, add the tapioca pearls reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Strain the pearls, add to a small bowl while hot and stir through the brown sugar. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Prepare the smoothie by adding all smoothie ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Divide the cooked tapioca pearls between 2 serving glasses and top with smoothie.
- Serve and enjoy.
- It’s best to cook the tapioca pearls right before you plan to serve this drink (cooking them ahead of time is not recommended).
- Choose your favorite smoothie from strawberry banana, blueberry, honeydew melon and mango. Each smoothie is packed with flavor and is so easy to make.
- Leftover smoothie can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Adjust smoothie thickness to suit your tastes by adding additional almond milk or coconut water.
- Fresh fruit can be used instead of frozen if preferred.
- Any plant based or dairy milk can be used in these recipes.
- Greek yogurt can be used instead of coconut yogurt if preferred.
- Nutrition information based on strawberry banana smoothie ingredients, and is meant for a very large sized smoothie. Divide this recipe into 4 cups for a smaller smoothie.