Vegan NutellaThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
This homemade vegan Nutella recipe is a game-changer for all the chocolate hazelnut spread lovers out there. Made with simple ingredients like raw hazelnuts, dark chocolate, and a touch of maple syrup, it’s a healthier alternative to traditional Nutella, without any added sugar or artificial flavors.
When I first discovered original Nutella as a child I thought I’d found the best-kept secret! This chocolate hazelnut spread tasted amazing on just about anything, and quickly became my new favorite treat.
It wasn’t until I got older that I wondered, “Is Nutella Vegan?” turned the jar over to look at the nutrition facts to see that not only was my favorite chocolate treat not suitable for a vegan diet, it also wasn’t healthy!
With processed ingredients and added cane sugar, a 2 tablespoon serving of traditional Nutella comes in at 200 calories and 21 grams of sugar! That’s more sugar than a full-sized Snickers bar!
And I don’t know about you, but I find it difficult to only enjoy 2 tablespoons – so I always end up eating more.
I figured, there had to be a better way right? So I set out to make my own quality healthy vegan Nutella recipe. With healthy, dairy-free ingredients, this low sugar easy healthy chocolate spread can be enjoyed by all with a lot less guilt!
This easy vegan Nutella recipe is incredibly versatile. It can be spread on toast for a quick breakfast, used as a dip for fruits, or even incorporated into your favorite baking recipes. The possibilities are endless!
👩🏽🍳 Why You’ll Love Homemade Vegan Nutella
- Plant-Based: This homemade vegan Nutella recipe is a dream come true for those following a vegan diet. It’s made with natural ingredients like raw hazelnuts, dark chocolate, and maple syrup, making it completely free from animal products.
- Quick and Easy: This recipe requires just a few ingredients and a high speed blender. In just 30 minutes, you’ll have a creamy, delicious chocolate hazelnut spread that’s ready to be enjoyed!
- Gluten-Free: This vegan chocolate hazelnut spread is not only dairy-free but also gluten-free. It’s a perfect treat for those with dietary restrictions, without compromising on the rich, nutty flavor of Nutella.
- Simple Ingredients: With just a handful of natural ingredients, this homemade vegan Nutella is a healthier alternative to store-bought versions. No artificial flavors or added sugars here, just lots of hazelnuts and real, dark chocolate.
- Versatile: This healthy homemade Nutella recipe is not just for spreading on toast. It’s a versatile treat that can be used as a dip for fruits, a topping for pancakes, or even mixed into your favorite dessert recipes.
Latest Recipe Video!
It’s so easy to make your own vegan Nutella at home! The ingredients are simple, easy to find at your local grocery store, and you might already have most of them in your pantry.
- Unsalted Raw Hazelnuts: Hazelnuts are the star of this homemade Nutella recipe, giving it its signature nutty flavor. As the main ingredient, raw hazelnuts are used to make a creamy hazelnut butter which forms the foundation of this dairy-free chocolate hazelnut spread.
- 70% Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate is key for that rich, chocolatey flavor we all love in Nutella. Using at least a dark chocolate with a cocoa content of around seventy percent ensures a deep chocolate taste without added sugar or artificial flavors.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil adds a touch of richness to our homemade vegan Nutella. It also helps create a smooth, creamy consistency in our healthy chocolate hazelnut spread. For the best results, it’s recommended not to skip this ingredient.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is used to sweeten this homemade chocolate hazelnut spread. It’s a natural sweetener that pairs well with the flavors of hazelnut and chocolate, and you can adjust the amount to your preference.
- Almond Milk: Almond milk is used to thin out this diy hazelnut spread and make it easier to blend. It also adds a bit of creaminess without adding any dairy.
- Vanilla Extract: A little vanilla extract enhances the flavors of the hazelnuts and the dark chocolate, rounding out the taste of this simple chocolate hazelnut spread recipe.
- Sea Salt: A pinch of salt is all it takes to bring out the flavors of the other ingredients and balance the sweetness of the maple syrup.
- Dates (Optional): Adding a date to the mix is optional but it can add a touch of extra sweetness and a hint of caramel flavor to your homemade vegan Nutella.
🍲 Ingredient Substitutions
- Hazelnuts: The main ingredient in this easy recipe is raw hazelnuts. They provide the unique nutty flavor of Nutella. However, if you’re allergic to hazelnuts or don’t have them on hand, you can make a chocolate nut spread with other nuts like almonds or cashews. Remember, this will change the flavor profile of your homemade Nutella.
- Dark Chocolate: For the best flavor, use at least a bar of a good quality dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips. If you prefer a less intense chocolate flavor, you can use semi-sweet chocolate chips. If you’re following a vegan diet, ensure that the chocolate you’re using is vegan. I have never tried this healthy hazelnut spread with cocoa powder as a substitute for the dark chocolate, but you can always try it to see if it will work!
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil gives this vegan hazelnut spread recipe a luscious texture. If you don’t have coconut oil, you can substitute it with another neutrally flavored oil like avocado oil or grapeseed oil.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is used to naturally sweeten this homemade Nutella recipe. If maple syrup isn’t available, you can substitute it with agave syrup, coconut sugar, brown sugar, or even just xregular sugar. Adjust the sweetness to your liking.
- Almond Milk: Almond milk is used to achieve the creamy consistency of this chocolate hazelnut spread. If you don’t have almond milk, you can substitute it with other plant-based milks like coconut milk or oat milk.
🔪 How To Make Vegan Nutella
Ready to satisfy your chocolate cravings in a healthy way? Let’s dive into this best homemade vegan Nutella recipe! For more detailed instructions and nutrition facts, see the recipe card at the end of this post.
Roast Hazelnuts: Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet, and roast for 15 minutes.
Blend Into Hazelnut Butter: Remove from the oven, and place hazelnuts into a food processor or high-speed blender. Blitz for a few minutes, until you have thick and creamy nut butter. Keep in mind that you’ll likely need to pause and scrape down the sides of the container a few times for the best results.
Add Melted Chocolate: While the nuts are processing, break the chocolate into small pieces and melt with the coconut oil. You can do this in the microwave in 30-second intervals, or over the stovetop on low heat. Add to the smooth butter.
Add Rest Of Ingredients: Add the remaining ingredients including the coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Blend for another couple of minutes, until you have a creamy hazelnut butter – everything should be completely mixed together and smooth.
Blend & Finish: When finished, this hazelnut vegan chocolate spread recipe will have a thick, almond butter or peanut butter-like consistency. Transfer your low calorie Nutella to an airtight jar or serve immediately.
💭 Expert Tips
- Choose The Right Hazelnuts: For the best flavor, use raw unsalted hazelnuts. They are the main ingredient in this homemade vegan nutella recipe and will give you the authentic hazelnut flavor.
- Invest In A High-Speed Blender: To achieve the smoothest results and a creamy consistency, use a high-speed blender or a Vitamix. It will help you transform the hazelnuts into a smooth butter, which is crucial for the texture of your chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Don’t Skip The Coconut Oil: The coconut oil in this recipe not only enhances the richness but also ensures a luscious texture that isn’t grainy. It’s a simple ingredient that makes a big difference in terms of taste.
- Storage Affects Consistency: If you prefer a thinner consistency, store your homemade Nutella at room temperature. For a thicker, more traditional Nutella-like consistency, refrigerate it.
This is absolutely the best homemade vegan Nutella recipe, but if you’re looking to change up the flavor, we have 7 different variations you can try!
- Mint Chocolate Nutella: For a refreshing twist on the classic vegan Nutella, swap out the dark chocolate for vegan mint chocolate. This will give your homemade hazelnut spread a cool, minty flavor that’s perfect for a unique dessert spread or an indulgent treat!
- White Chocolate Nutella: If you’re a fan of white chocolate, try this variation! Simply replace the dark chocolate with vegan white chocolate and follow this white chocolate hazelnut spread recipe. The result will be a creamy, sweet, and nutty white chocolate hazelnut spread that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Extra Sweet Nutella: If you prefer your Nutella a bit sweeter, consider adding a couple of soaked dates into the mix. This natural sweetener will enhance the sweetness of your vegan Nutella alternative without adding any refined sugars. Just remember to add them at the same time as the almond milk.
- Nutella With Mix-Ins: For a fun and flavorful twist, try adding some mix-ins to this creamy spread. You can add cacao nibs, coconut shreds, vegan chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or even crushed vegan cookies. This will give your homemade Nutella an interesting texture and an extra burst of flavor!
- Spiced Nutella: Spice up this hazelnut and cocoa spread by adding a dash of your favorite extract or spice. You could add almond extract, maple extract, coconut extract, or even a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice. This will give your hazelnut chocolate spread recipe a warm, comforting flavor that’s perfect for the colder months.
- 3 Ingredient Nutella: For a simple and easy vegan Nutella, you can make a version with just roasted hazelnuts, chocolate, and vanilla extract. Just blend these three ingredients together until smooth, and you’ll have a delicious, homemade chocolate hazelnut spread in no time!
- Dark Chocolate Nutella: For the dark chocolate lovers out there, add a dash of instant coffee to your vegan Nutella recipe. This will enhance the rich, chocolatey flavor and give your homemade Nutella a robust and decadent taste that’s sure to satisfy your chocolate cravings.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Our homemade vegan Nutella recipe is not just a spread; it’s a versatile addition to your vegan diet that can be used in a variety of ways. Here are some of our favorite serving suggestions:
- Breakfast: Start your day by spreading this vegan Nutella on gluten free bread, buckwheat bread, vegan bagels, or use it as a filling for your vegan crepes. It’s also perfect swirled into some vegan zucchini muffins or used as a topping on top of a wide variety of breakfast recipes like a breakfast fruit salad, vegan french toast casserole, banana porridge, healthy pancakes, croffles, or even vegan protein waffles!
- Snacks: Satisfy your mid-afternoon chocolate cravings by dipping fresh fruit slices, such as bananas and strawberries, into this chocolate hazelnut spread. It’s also delicious spread on some vegan graham crackers or instead of peanut butter in a classic banana peanut butter sandwich.
- Desserts: Spread this non dairy Nutella on top of cupcakes, brownies, or even these air fryer cinnamon rolls instead of frosting, mix into quick breads like banana bread without butter, drizzle on top of this caramel nice cream, or make a Nutella pizza with flatbread, topped with chopped nuts, fruit, and vegan marshmallows! You can also just enjoy it all on its own!
- Beverages: Blend this vegan chocolate hazelnut spread into your smoothies for a rich, nutty flavor, like in this avocado peanut butter smoothie. Or stir a spoonful into a healthy hot chocolate with cinnamon or your favorite coffee for a homemade mocha.
🙌 Dietary Adaptations
This homemade vegan Nutella recipe is already plant-based, dairy-free, and gluten-free, so it’s suitable for those following a vegan diet or anyone with dairy or gluten intolerances. The main ingredients are raw hazelnuts, dark chocolate, coconut oil, and maple syrup, all of which are naturally gluten-free and vegan.
To Make This Recipe Nut-Free: If you have a nut allergy, you can replace the hazelnuts with sunflower seeds to create a sunflower seed spread. Keep in mind that this will alter the flavor, but it will still be delicious and creamy.
Lower Sugar Option: This healthy Nutella recipe uses maple syrup as a sweetener, but if you want to reduce the sugar content, you can use a sugar-free sweetener like monk fruit sweetener or stevia. Adjust the amount to your taste. You can also just omit the sugar altogether but it will be a more savory spread, similar to almond butter.
- To Refrigerate: If you have leftovers of this homemade vegan Nutella, place it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to one month. The consistency will become thicker, but you can bring it back to room temperature and give it a good stir before using for a smoother spread.
- Room Temperature: If you prefer a thinner consistency, you can also store this homemade chocolate spread at room temperature for up to one week. Just make sure it’s tightly sealed to maintain its freshness and hazelnut flavor.
- Note About Freezing: Due to the high oil content in the hazelnuts and the coconut oil, freezing this vegan Nutella is not recommended. The texture may become grainy and not as enjoyable when thawed.
Yes! There are lots of vegan Nutella brands out there, and you should be able to easily find a dairy-free Nutella at the store. Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter is vegan-friendly. Other lactose free Nutella brands include: TBH Hazelnut Cocoa Spread, Nutiva Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, Fine and Raw Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, Nocciolata Spread, and Vego Hazelnut Spread.
Any food that uses animal products is not considered vegan. Store-bought Nutella uses powdered milk (which you’ll also see on the label as skim milk powder). Because of this ingredient, it is not vegan. There are other store-bought chocolate spreads that are vegan that do not add milk, such as Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter, but I’ve found that the homemade version tastes even better than store-bought!
Nutella is gluten free! The Ferrero Foodservice website states: “Nutella does not contain any ingredients deriving from wheat, barley, rye or oats.” Unfortunately, Nutella is not dairy free, as it contains milk. Therefore it’s not both gluten free AND dairy free – it’s just gluten free.
Nutella sold in Europe lists its ingredients as follows (sugar, palm oil, hazelnuts, milk, cocoa, soy lecithin, and vanillin.) Therefore, it is not vegan because it contains milk. It is labeled as vegetarian, but not vegan.
🍫 More Vegan Chocolate Recipes!
- Chocolate Ganache Tart
- Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Edible Brownie Batter
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Oatmeal
Love this plant based dessert recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
- Heat your oven to 350°F.
- Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet, and roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and place into a food processor or high-speed blender. Blitz for a few minutes, until you have a thick and creamy nut butter. (You'll probably need to stop and scrape down the sides of the container a few times.)
- While the nuts are processing, break the chocolate into small pieces and melt with the coconut oil (can be done in the microwave or on the stovetop).
- Once the nut butter is ready, add the melted chocolate and coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla extract, and salt. If using a date (for more sweetness), add at this time. Blitz for another couple of minutes, until everything is completely mixed together and smooth.
- Transfer to an airtight jar, and store at room temperature or in the fridge for a thicker texture. It will keep for a month.
- Use raw unsalted hazelnuts for the best flavor and health benefits.
- Use at least 70% dark chocolate to achieve a rich chocolatey flavor.
- Be sure to allow the hazelnuts to process until they create a nut butter. This will ensure you have a creamy texture.
- Don’t skip the coconut oil. The coconut oil helps to give this healthy nutella a luscious texture that isn’t grainy.
- For a thinner consistency store at room temperature. For a thick consistency, refrigerate.
- Try adding a dash of instant coffee to the recipe to enhance the chocolate flavor even more.
- Nutritional info calculated using 88% dark chocolate and 1 date.