The Best Vegan Graham CrackersThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
These tasty, crunchy vegan graham crackers are perfect when you are craving a homemade treat that is plant based & refined sugar-free, but as sweet as could be. This vegan version is an excellent alternative to store-bought graham crackers because it is dairy-free, honey-free, and made with wholesome ingredients. Use this crispy cracker recipe to make vegan s’mores with the kids, or when you are looking for a fun family activity!
In the mood for Honey Maid graham crackers, but don’t want the high-fructose corn syrup, soy lecithin, soybean oil, and other overly processed ingredients? This easy graham cracker recipe is made with whole foods and natural ingredients that are kid-friendly and family-approved! It’s the best healthy alternative to regular graham crackers!
We love to pair this homemade cracker recipe with vegan Nutella and vegan marshmallows for a delicious sweet treat. Made without honey and other animal products, this vegan-friendly graham cracker recipe is one of our favorite plant-based desserts because it is easy to make and obsessively crunchy and satisfying!
Make a large batch and enjoy the crackers all week long. They are the perfect tasty and nutritious snack and will disappear in a snap! The best vegan graham crackers are fun to make and so delicious, you’ll never go back to store-bought again!
👩🏽🍳 Why You’ll Love This Vegan Graham Cracker Recipe
- Plant-Based & Healthy: These healthy graham crackers are dairy-free, made with whole grain wheat flour, and are less processed than any grocery store cracker option.
- Easy: Honey-free graham crackers are simple to make and turn out crispy and delicious every time. This is the perfect introductory recipe if you’ve never made homemade crackers!
- Versatile: One of the benefits of making your own vegan crackers is that you can customize this recipe easily to suit your preferences! Use this recipe for vegan graham cracker crust or gluten-free vegan graham crackers. Dietary adaptations and variations are detailed below.
- Family-Friendly: Toddlers, kids, teenagers, and adults will swoon over these dairy-free graham crackers because they are perfectly crunchy and delightful. Great for mid-morning and late-afternoon snack times!
Latest Recipe Video!
Graham cracker ingredients can be found in your pantry or at any well-stocked grocery store! For the full recipe and nutritional info, see the recipe card below.
- Flour: Use regular whole wheat flour for more healthy whole grains than all-purpose flour.
- Coconut Sugar: Keep things refined sugar-free by using coconut sugar. With a low glycemic index, coconut sugar is a delicious natural sweetener to add to baked goods.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon adds a spicy sweetness and familiar graham cracker tastes to this vegan recipe
- Baking Powder: Essential to help the crackers rise while baking.
- Vegan Butter: Use your preferred vegan butter for this recipe. My favorite is Miyoko’s Butter. Cold butter works best.
- Milk: Soy milk works well for this recipe because it is neutral and creamy.
- Maple Syrup: A touch of maple syrup adds sweetness to these cinnamon graham crackers made without honey.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: Rich vanilla extract gives these healthy homemade graham crackers perfectly balanced flavors that are familiar and mouthwatering.
- Kosher Salt: Just a little bit of salt enhances the flavors of all the ingredients.
🍲 Ingredient Substitutions
- Milk: Any unsweetened non-dairy milk can be used. Try coconut milk, cashew milk, oat milk, almond milk, or hemp milk for these plant based graham crackers. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, regular skim milk will work.
- Agave or Vegan Honey: You can use agave or homemade vegan honey in place of maple syrup.
- Sugar: Instead of coconut sugar, use your favorite vegan brown sugar, monk fruit, or date sugar.
🔪 How To Make This Vegan Graham Crackers Recipe
Follow these easy steps to make your own vegan graham crackers, for the most crispy treat ready in no time!
Whisk Dry Ingredients: First, in a large bowl, whisk the flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
Add Butter: Add the vegan butter and rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles bread crumbs. Set aside.
Mix Wet Ingredients: In a small bowl, mix together the soy milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
Combine Wet And Dry Ingredients: Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix to form a dough.
Shape Dough And Chill: Place the dough on a floured work surface, cutting board, or baking sheet, and shape it into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
Preheat Oven, Divide The Dough: Preheat the oven to 320 degrees F and remove the dough from the fridge. Cut into four pieces with a sharp knife.
Roll Dough: Place one piece of the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and place another sheet on top of the dough. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin.
Trim Edges: Using a pizza cutter, trim the edges to form a rectangle. Remove the edges and re-roll them to make more crackers.
Cut Into Crackers: Cut the dough into squares and poke holes into the tops of each cracker.
Bake: Transfer the parchment paper and healthy graham crackers to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until the edges are slightly brown.
Cool: Allow these dairy free crackers to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before separating the crackers and transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. The crackers will get more crispy as they cool. Allow crackers to cool for 1-2 hours before serving!
💭 Expert Tips
- Use Cold Butter: Cold vegan butter will work best for this recipe. The warmth from your fingers will help it mix into the dry ingredients. Use the tips of your fingers to incorporate the butter well before moving on to the next step.
- Don’t Overwork the Dough: Doing so will cause these low sugar graham crackers to become chewy and less crispy. Instead, mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined and then turn the dough onto your work surface and form a ball using your hands. Add a sprinkle of water if the mixture is too dry.
- Chill Before Rolling: Allow the dough to chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before rolling it out. Chilled dough will be easier to roll and cut.
- Use a Fork: A fork makes the perfect perforation in these crackers and pokes multiple holes at once so your crackers will bake evenly and have a similar appearance to store-bought crackers.
- Allow Time for Crackers to Cool: As your baked crackers cool, they will continue to get crispy. Make sure to allow them to cool on your cooling rack for at least one hour before serving.
Customize this vegan cracker recipe with one of these variations.
- Chocolate Graham Crackers: To make rich chocolate chip graham crackers, add cocoa powder and dairy-free dark chocolate chips to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Honey Grahams: For vegan honey graham crackers, use my vegan honey recipe in place of maple syrup. Cut graham crackers according to the recipe or make mini squares or bear-shaped crackers using a cookie cutter.
- Extra Cinnamony: Sprinkle these sweet crackers with additional cinnamon before baking for an extra warm spiced flavor. Delicious for serving with tea or coffee.
- Bite-Sized Crackers: Using a pizza cutter, small biscuit cutter, or cookie cutter, make mini bite-sized crackers in any shape! Reduce baking time to 7-9 minutes or until the edges of the crackers become golden brown.
- Vegan Graham Cracker Pie Crust: If you’re making vegan cheesecake and plan to make a homemade graham cracker crust, blend or blitz up these healthier graham crackers to create graham cracker crumbs for the crust!
🍽 Serving Suggestions
These homemade vegan graham crackers are ideal for serving with your favorite sweet dips or sauces or topping nut butter, sunflower seed butter, or even vegan cream cheese. Enjoy with tea, your preferred dairy-free milk, or a refreshing smoothie.
Kids will love these crunchy crackers alongside fresh sliced fruit. They can also dip them in milk or make vegan ice cream sandwiches by sandwiching a scoop of vegan ice cream between two crackers.
🙌 Dietary Adaptations
To make vegan gluten-free graham crackers use your favorite 1:1 gluten-free flour instead of whole wheat flour. Oat flour may also work, but the texture of your crackers will change slightly.
These graham crackers without honey are good for up to 1 week once they’re made. But you can extend their shelf life by freezing them! Here’s how:
- Storing: Store graham crackers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. An airtight container will help keep crackers crisp.
- Freezing: These no-honey graham crackers can also be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Just defrost at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before enjoying.
It depends on the brand! While there are a few vegan options at the grocery store, it’s important to check ingredients labels to identify which popular brands are truly vegan friendly.
Some vegan graham cracker brands include:
Nabisco Original Grahams (vegan + dairy-free)
Teddy Grahams (vegan + dairy-free)
Keebler Graham Crackers (vegan + dairy-free)
Nairn’s Gluten-Free Oat Grahams (vegan + dairy-free)
Annie’s Graham Crackers (vegan, dairy-free and also offer gluten-free options)
Brands that are not vegan:
Honey Maid graham crackers contain honey so they are not vegan.
Scooby-Doo Graham Crackers are not vegan because they contain honey.
One thing to note — while none of these brands include animal ingredients, if you are a very strict vegan you may want to call to ensure that the sugar they use is vegan sugar, as some sugar can be processed with animal bone char to make it whiter in color!
This healthy graham cracker recipe is vegan and egg-free. If you eat egg-free and need a store-bought cracker, it is best to check the packaging of the product you will purchase, as brands change their ingredients from time to time.
Vegan graham crackers have no refined sugar and are made using only plant-based ingredients. This recipe is healthier than many store-bought graham crackers that may contain high-fructose corn syrup, soybean oil, or other processed ingredients.
🍪 More Vegan Desserts!
- Healthy Edible Cookie Dough
- Vegan Protein Balls
- Lemon Popsicles
- Are Oreos Dairy-Free?
- Vegan Pop Tarts Recipe
- Healthy Hot Chocolate
- Vegan Pumpkin Banana Bread
Love this plant based dessert recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
The Best Vegan Graham Crackers
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or your 1:1 gluten-free flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar or your other favorite type of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup vegan butter we like Miyoko's
- 2 tbsp unsweetened soy milk or your favorite dairy-free milk
- 4 tbsp maple syrup or other favorite liquid sweetener
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the vegan butter and rub into the flour mixture until butter is completely incorporated and the mixture looks like bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Next, in a small mixing bowl, mix together the soy milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Add the milk mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix to form a dough.
- Place the dough on a floured work surface and shape it into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for one to two hours.
- Next, preheat the oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit or 160 degrees Celsius and remove the dough from the fridge. Cut into four pieces.
- Place one piece of the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper and place another sheet on top of the dough. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin until it is ¼-inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the edges to form a rectangle. Remove the edges and reroll them to make more crackers.
- Cut the dough into squares and poke holes into the tops of each cracker.
- Place the crackers onto a baking sheet once they are all cut. Bake the crackers in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Allow the crackers to cool on the baking sheet for five minutes before transferring to the wire rack to cool completely. The crackers will get more crispy as they cool. Make sure they cool for at least 1 hour (up to 2 hours) before serving!
- Gluten-Free: To make vegan gluten-free graham crackers use your favorite 1:1 gluten-free flour instead of whole wheat flour.
- Recipe Tips:
- Cold butter works best for this recipe. Use the tips of your fingers to incorporate the butter well before moving on to the next step.
- Overworking the dough will cause the crackers to become chewy and less crispy. Add a sprinkle of water if the dough is too dry to form a ball.
- Allow the dough to chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before rolling it out. Chilled dough will be easier to roll and cut.
- Cool crackers for at least one hour before serving.