15 Bean Soup Crock Pot RecipeThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
This hearty 15 bean soup crock pot recipe couldn’t be simpler! Beans, diced veggies, spices, and broth simmer all day in a crock pot until thick and flavorful. It’s a cozy, nutritious dinner for a busy weeknight.
Simplicity meets comfort in this 15 bean soup, slow cooker style! Just toss everything into the crock pot and let it work its magic. I love how hearty and nutritious this soup is. It’s packed with tender beans and veggies. It’s the best soup for a chilly day when you want something to warm you up, or for a hearty meal anytime of the year!
Latest Recipe Video!
This healthy 15 bean soup is easy to make and customize! It’s also budget-friendly since the main ingredient is a package of beans.
I like to buy Hurst’s HamBeen’s 15 bean soup mix. Kidney, pinto, large lima, yellow split pea, black bean, great northern beans, and white kidney beans create a thick and creamy soup even my kiddos can’t resist.
I always have leftovers when I make this slow cooker vegan soup. It makes a big batch that’s easy to reheat and enjoy all week long! It’s one of my favorite recipes, plus it fills the entire house with a delicious aroma. Yes, please!
👩🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- An easy recipe for a busy night
- Best 15 bean soup recipe!
- Healthy & delicious soup
- Budget-friendly & hearty soup
- Perfect way to make a protein-rich, vegan friendly meal
- The whole family will love it
- Makes a cozy Christmas dinner
- Makes a large pot!
- Rich, mouthwatering soup
This recipe requires simple ingredients found at your local grocery store! Find the full list of ingredients and nutritional information at the bottom of this post.
15 Bean Soup Mix: Fifteen bean mix should be with the dry beans. Hurst’s HamBeens is a popular brand that’s also gluten-free. I try to keep a bag of Hurst fifteen bean mix in my pantry at all times – it’s the base for this recipe!
Veggies: Diced celery, carrots, and onion give it a chunky texture with plenty of nutrients!
Spices: Salt, black pepper, thyme, and garlic powder season the soup. For a little bit of heat, add red pepper flakes or chili powder too. If you have a bay leaf, throw it in too!
Vegan Chicken Broth: The beans absorb the broth for even more flavor. Vegetable broth works great too.
Fresh Water: Additional water gives you the perfect amount of liquid. It also cuts back on the amount of sodium.
Diced Tomatoes: No need to drain the tomatoes, the juice adds sweetness and tomato flavor.
Spinach: Spinach is high in fiber, antioxidants, and essential vitamins. It only needs a few minutes to wilt, so stir it in at the end.
This simple soup is easy to customize!
- Toppings: Top with tortilla strips, diced avocado, shredded cheese, or sour cream.
- Make It Spicy: Add a few dashes of hot sauce when you stir in the tomatoes.
- Add Protein: While this vegetarian version doesn’t have meat, you can easily add it for more protein. Shredded chicken or cooked ground beef are great options!
- 15 Bean Soup Instant Pot: Use the sauté function to sauté the veggies in olive oil. Add the remaining ingredients to the pressure cooker except for the spinach. Cook the mixture on high pressure for 40 minutes, then a natural release for 15 minutes. Manually release any remaining pressure, then stir in the spinach.
- Gluten-Free Bean Soup: This soup is naturally gluten-free! Just be sure to buy a gluten-free vegetable stock and bean mix.
Vegan 15 bean soup is super simple to make! Here’s how to make it.
Rinse Beans: Rinse the dried beans and discard any unwanted debris. Pour the beans into the crock pot.
Add Remaining Ingredients: Add the veggies, spices, four cups of stock, and two cups of water into the crockpot. You will need six cups of liquid total. Give it a good stir.
Cook Soup: Cover the crock pot with a lid and cook on low for 7 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
Add Tomatoes & Spinach: Once the beans are fully cooked and tender, add the canned tomatoes and sliced spinach. Cook for 20 more minutes.
Taste & Enjoy: Taste and season if necessary, then enjoy hot!
❓ Recipe FAQs
Northern, pinto beans, large lima, yelloweye bean, garbanzo, baby lima, green split pea, kidney cranberry bean, small white, pink bean, small red, yellow split pea, lentil, navy, white kidney, and black beans.
Yes! Transfer the soup to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until hot.
Serve this hearty soup with your favorite toppings! Tortilla chips, crackers, shredded cheese, and sour cream are delicious on top. I also like to serve it with crusty bread and a side salad.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It’s a great recipe to meal prep – it tastes even better the next day when all the flavors have a chance to blend together. You can store the soup in individual containers for an easy lunch on-the-go!
💭 Expert Tips
- You don’t need to overnight soak the beans beforehand. Don’t worry about the quick soak method either. The slow cooker will do the work for you!
- Feel free to use the seasoning packet, or ditch it and use the spices in the recipe.
- If you aren’t vegetarian, feel free to add ham hocks or a leftover ham bone to the soup for additional flavor.
- For a pop of citrus, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice right before serving.
- Hurst beans are easy to find, but any brand should work great!
- Hurst’s brand comes with a ham flavor packet, but according to their website it doesn’t contain animal products.
🍲 More Easy Bean Soup Recipes!
- Mexican Black Bean Soup with Tortillas
- Vegetarian Black Bean Soup with Kale and Hominy
- Chunky Vegan Black Bean Soup
- 20 Minute Black Bean Soup
- Pinto Bean Soup Recipe (Easy, Hearty)
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
15 Bean Soup Crock Pot Recipe
- Rinse the beans and discard any debris. Add the beans to the crock pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except the canned tomatoes and spinach, and stir.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low for 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Once the beans are tender, stir through the canned tomatoes and sliced spinach. Cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve hot.
- Soup can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- There is no need to soak the beans before use.
- Serve soup with crusty bread or your favorite salad.
- Store soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up tp 5 days.