Cream Cheese Toast (15 Ways!)This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Craving something sweet and savory for breakfast or an easy lunch? Look no further than this delicious cream cheese toast! We love topping this crispy piece of toast with sweet, juicy blueberries and creamy whipped cream cheese, but we also have 15 different ways you can enjoy this tasty recipe!
This healthy cream cheese toast recipe is made with just a few simple ingredients and comes together in just 20 minutes. Cream cheese on toast can be eaten as-is, or topped with fresh fruit, jams, honey, or even savory ingredients for an extra special treat.
I love making a fresh blueberry compote because it pairs so well with the cream cheese, but that’s not the only way to enjoy this recipe! Below you’ll find ways to enjoy this toast with nut butters, other fruits, fresh herbs, and more!
No matter what variation you choose, you’ll find that toast with cream cheese is the perfect base for a so many different ingredients. It’s super tasty, and quick and simple to make. Enjoy it any time of the day for breakfast, a snack, or a light lunch!
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Easy and quick breakfast option
- Super customizable – 15 different topping ideas!
- Can be made ahead of time
- Gluten free and vegan options
- Family friendly
Latest Recipe Video!
This cream cheese breakfast toast with blueberries is made with simple ingredients, most of which you may already have on hand. Grab all the ingredient details and the full recipe from the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
- Whole Wheat Bread: Whole wheat bread is the best option for healthy blueberry toast, but you can use any of your favorite bread slices. Sourdough bread and regular white bread would all taste great. Make it gluten free blueberry toast by using your favorite gluten free bread.
- Whipped Cream Cheese: We make this using cream cheese, honey, salt and lemon juice. Honey sweetens the cream cheese slightly, salt brings out the sweetness even more and helps to balance the flavors. Lemon juice gives the cream cheese a fresh taste and brings out the bolder flavors in this lemon blueberry toast!
- Homemade Blueberry Compote: This is made of blueberries, sugar, chia seeds, water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Fresh or frozen blueberries can be used for this recipe. Do not defrost frozen berries before making the compote. Water and sugar are key for any compote, lemon juice/zest provide acidity and flavor, and chia seeds help to thicken up the compote for this cream cheese and berry toast.
These are the instructions for making this cream cheese and blueberry toast recipe. Scroll to the variations section to find instructions for other options!
Prepare Blueberry Compote: Prepare the blueberry compote by adding 1 cup blueberries along with remaining compote ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to ensure the compote doesn’t burn.
Simmer & Cool: Reduce heat and simmer until the blueberries are cooked and the sauce has thickened. This may take between 4-6 minutes. When compote has thickened remove from the heat and allow to cool. As the blueberries cook use a spatula or spoon to gently press the berries to release the juice. If you prefer a smooth compote add the cooked compote to a food processor and blend.
Prepare Whipped Cream Cheese: While the compote is cooling, combine cream cheese and the rest of the whipped cream cheese ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix until smooth. Alternatively you can add the cream cheese ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
Toast Bread & Assemble: Toast the sliced whole wheat bread in a toaster or in the oven until golden brown. Evenly divide the whipped cream cheese and blueberry compote between the toasted bread.
Add Toppings & Serve Blueberry Cream Cheese Toast: Top with remaining fresh blueberries and a sprinkle of lemon zest if desired.
📖 Variations: 15 Cream Cheese Toast Ideas
Cream cheese on toast is a delicious and versatile base for so many different recipes! You can go for a sweet, savory, or even spicy approach depending on your preferences. Here are 15 different ways to top this cream cheese toast:
- Fresh Fruit Or Fruit Compote: We love homemade blueberry compote as a topping, but you could also use apple or pear compote, or a mixed berry compote! Alternatively, fresh strawberries, peaches, pears, or apple would work well too.
- Roasted Blueberry Toast: Instead of a blueberry compote, try roasting blueberries for an amazing flavor to top your cream cheese on toast.
- Preserves, Jams: Try berry jam, peach preserves, apricot jam, or fig spread.
- Cream Cheese And Honey Toast: A simple combination of cream cheese and honey on toast is delicious and easy! Add fruit for even more flavor.
- Smoked Salmon Or Lox: Salmon is a classic topping for cream cheese! Add some capers, thinly sliced onions, and fresh dill to round it out.
- Avocado Toast: Top your cream cheese with slices of fresh avocado, a sprinkle of salt, and a drizzle of lemon juice.
- Cucumber And Dill: You can’t go wrong with thin slices of cucumber, a sprinkle of fresh dill, and a dash of black pepper.
- Bacon And Tomato: Cream cheese topped with crispy cooked bacon and thinly sliced tomato will give you a twist on a BLT.
- Mediterranean Toast: Add chopped Kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, a drizzle of olive oil, and crumbled feta cheese.
- Other Herbs And Spices: All fresh herbs pair well with cream cheese. Try topping your toast with fresh chives, basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, or dill, and sprinkle with some salt and pepper, or try sprinkling bagel seasoning on top of each slice of toast!
- Nuts And Nut Butters: Instead of the cream cheese, try peanut butter, almond butter, or even vegan nutella or white chocolate hazelnut spread and top with blueberries or other fresh fruit! You can even crumble some crushed walnuts or peanuts on top, and feel free to add some sliced banana too.
- Blueberry Ricotta Toast: Swap out the cream cheese for whipped ricotta, and add fresh blueberries and a sprinkle of granola for some crunch.
- Prosciutto And Fig: Thinly sliced prosciutto and fresh figs or fig jam. Adding fresh herbs, like fresh basil, for example, is a great way to add freshness and flavor. , add smoked salmon, or really any of your favorite foods! There isn’t much that doesn’t go well with
- Pesto And Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Add a swirl of pesto and some chopped sun-dried tomatoes to your toast and cream cheese.
- Rainbow Veggies: In order on your toast, add diced red bell pepper, diced orange bell pepper, diced yellow bell peppers, diced baby spinach, and purple cabbage for a “rainbow” toast!
💭 Expert Tips
- For easier spreading, set out your cream cheese and let it come to room temperature before using it for this recipe. I recommend taking it out about 30 minutes before you plan to use it.
- Serve immediately. If you’re making this as blueberry toast, or one of our other variation above, make sure to serve this right away as the toast will begin to become soggy after 10 minutes.
- You can make some components ahead of time: The cream cheese filling and blueberry compote (if using) can be prepared ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Choose your bread wisely. A thick, hearty bread tends to work best for cream cheese toast. Whole grain, multigrain bread, sourdough, a baguette, or rye would all be good choices. You want something sturdy enough to hold up to the cream cheese and any toppings.
- Make sure to toast your bread enough so that it’s golden and crispy, but not too dark or burnt.
🙌 Dietary Adaptations
- Vegan Cream Cheese Toast: Make this blueberry breakfast toast recipe plant based by using dairy free cream cheese and vegan toppings of your choice!
- Gluten Free Toast With Cream Cheese: Gluten free bread works well in this recipe, just choose your favorite type of gf bread or try this homemade gluten free bread recipe or this gluten free buckwheat bread recipe.
You can make the cream cheese mixture ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. The toast should be made fresh or it will get soggy.
Cream cheese is delicious on toast, it’s a great combination. If you’re wondering, “Can I put cream cheese on toast?” The answer is, yes! You can make a whipped mixture or let it come to room temperature for easier spreading. Feel free to eat it plain, or with your favorite toppings.
Wondering what to eat with cream cheese for breakfast, or for a light lunch or snack? Cream cheese is a super versatile ingredient, and goes well with a wide variety of foods, both sweet and savory. Here are the foods cream cheese typically goes well with: bagels, bread, crackers, cucumbers, sandwiches, wraps, pasta, mashed potatoes, stuffed french toast, fruit, pastries, or desserts.
It depends on what you eat it with! Plain white toast for breakfast isn’t healthy, as it’s just a bunch of refined carbs and has no balance of protein or fiber. But if you make whole wheat toast topped with a balance of protein rich and fresh ingredients, then that can be a healthy toast for breakfast!
🍞 More Tasty Breakfast Toast Recipes!
- Avocado Toast With Honey
- Avocado Toast With Tomato and Egg
- Vegan French Toast
- 20 Breakfast Toast Ideas
Love this plant based breakfast recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious, healthy, family-friendly food, and if you have any questions, I’m here to help!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Cream Cheese Toast (15 Ways!)
- 6 slices whole wheat bread If your bread slices are especially large, use 4 slices.
- 1½ cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of ½ a lemon
- Prepare the blueberry compote by adding 1 cup blueberries along with remaining compote ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to ensure the compote doesn’t burn.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the blueberries are cooked and the sauce has thickened. This may take between 4-6 minutes.
- When compote has thickened remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- While the compote is cooling prepare the whipped cream cheese by adding all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until well combined and smooth. Alternatively you can add the cream cheese ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Toast the sliced whole wheat bread in a toaster or in the oven until golden brown.
- Evenly divide the whipped cream cheese and blueberry compote between the toasted bread.
- Top with remaining fresh blueberries and a sprinkle of lemon zest if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Blueberry compote and whipped cream cheese can be prepared ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Serve blueberry toast immediately as the toast will begin to become soggy after 10 minutes.
- Fresh or frozen blueberries can be used for this recipes. Do not defrost frozen berries before making the compote.
- Gluten free bread works well in this recipe, as does sourdough, rye or even multigrain bread.
- As the blueberries cook use a spatula or spoon to gently press the berries to release the juice. If you prefer a smooth compote add the cooked compote to a food processor and blend.
This was delicious. It felt like a real treat breakfast, and was so easy to make too!
Thanks so much Dannii, so happy to hear that!
I love cream cheese on bread but would never have thought to add fruit. Such a simple and delicious idea.
Yes!! It pairs so well and is so satisfying too!
Wonderful ideas for toppings! We had your main recipe with blueberries this morning, but I cannot wait to try some other suggestions!
Yay! Thanks Ieva!
I absolutely love all the variety here! This one tasty way to start the day and I intend on trying them all!
Thanks Gina!! You will love this recipe! 🙂