Unicorn PopcornThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Enjoy this vibrant and whimsical treat for kid’s birthday parties, baby showers, or celebrations! Colorful unicorn popcorn is a quick and easy snack that’s ready in less than 20 minutes.
Surprise your kiddos with this rainbow unicorn popcorn! It’s a great addition to a unicorn themed birthday party or celebration, but I like to make it just for fun. It’s quick, simple, and easy to make too! You just need popcorn, pink food spray, candy melts, and sprinkles.
This easy unicorn popcorn recipe is inspired by Unicorn Popcornopolis, the pink popcorn-filled cones you find at the store. At 5 to 10 bucks for one cone, this homemade version is much cheaper (and tastier too!). My kids love to help spray the popcorn and drizzle on the melted candy.
Unicorn poop popcorn is a fun recipe for movie night. You can even buy unicorn popcorn boxes at the craft store or if not, find them online. It’s a playful, perfect treat the kids are sure to love! The best part? It’s super easy and ready in under 20 minutes!
👩🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Perfect for a unicorn themed party
- Colorful treat for movie night
- Candy flavored popcorn
- Quick and easy to make
- The kids love to help make it!
- Fun popcorn for party favors
Latest Recipe Video!
This addictive snack calls for four simple ingredients, easily found at your grocery store! If your grocery store doesn’t have pink food spray, you can find that online!
- Popcorn: You will need six cups of popped popcorn. A fourth cup of popcorn kernels should give you the right amount. You can double or triple this delicious recipe if you’re making it for a large group of kids.
- Candy Melts: You will need pink, blue, and orange for this recipe. Or you can just choose the colors you or your kiddos like best. Unicorns come in every color and shade.
- Pink Food Spray: You can find food spray in the baking aisle at your local craft store. It will come in a small canister and should spray a light mist, and you can get it in variety of colors. I like to find all natural food spray that doesn’t use artificial colors!
- Unicorn Sprinkles: I can find unicorn themed sprinkles at most grocery stores now, but you can definitely find them online or at a craft store. Rainbow sprinkles work great too!
Here are a few more fun party popcorn ideas to try!
- Mix-ins: For even more fun and color, try adding bright mix-ins like pastel M&M’s, rainbow marshmallows, pastel jelly beans, or different types of popcorn sprinkles.
- Food Spray: If pink isn’t your favorite color, try purple, gold, green, or orange!
- Candy Melts: These sweet treats come in every hue. You can swap the pink, blue, and orange melts with any colors you like. All the different colors look great!
- Unicorn Party Food Ideas: You could serve this pastel popcorn treat alongside unicorn cake pops, unicorn shaped PB & J’s, or rice krispy treats with unicorn sprinkles, or make diy popcorn party favors using these cute unicorn popcorn bags.
- Cotton Candy Flavored Popcorn: Place the popcorn in a large bowl. Pour melted candy melts onto the popcorn with torn cotton candy. Stir until the cotton candy melts and coats the popcorn.
Here’s step-by-step instructions to show you how to make unicorn popcorn. It’s super easy!
Prep Popcorn: Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and spread the cooked popcorn in an even layer over both trays.
Spray Popcorn Twice: Lightly spray the popcorn with the pink spray. Let the spray dry, then turn the popcorn over and spray the other side.
Heat Candy: Place the candy melts into separate microwave-safe bowls. Heat them in 30-second increments, stirring in between each time, until fully melted.
Drizzle Popcorn: Scoop half of the melted candy into a piping bag or ziplock bag. Use scissors to snip a small hole on the end and drizzle half of the candy coating over the popcorn.
Repeat Process: Let the melts harden, then toss the pastel popcorn. Heat the remaining candy and repeat the process.
Add Sprinkles: Sprinkle with the unicorn sprinkles, then let this delicious treat dry before tossing one more time. Enjoy your gourmet candy popcorn!
❓ Recipe FAQs
An easy way to make colored popcorn is to spray it with edible food coloring mist. You can find it in the baking aisle at your local craft store. Wilton sells it and it comes in a variety of colors. Just be sure to lightly mist it so it doesn’t add too much moisture, then let it dry.
Most candy melts are gluten-free and so is popcorn! To make sure this popcorn unicorn recipe is gluten-free, check the labels of the candy melts and sprinkles before you buy them. Betty Crocker brand sprinkles are gluten-free and Wilton candy melts don’t contain any gluten ingredients.
Homemade popcorn is best the same day it’s made, but you can store it. Once the popcorn is completely dried and room temperature, store it in an airtight container for up to three days. Avoid storing it in a ziplock bag, because it will get stale faster.
You can serve it in a big bowl or if you want to get creative, you can buy unicorn themed boxes to serve it in. You can also serve it with other pastel or brightly colored treats like M&M’s, skittles, nerds, sprinkles, or gummies.
💭 Expert Tips
- You can use air popped popcorn or microwaveable bags! It’s up to you. For an extra bit of sweetness, use kettle corn instead of plain. Or for a sweet and salty treat, use butter popcorn.
- If you decide to use melted white chocolate, only use oil-based food colorings. Water-based food coloring will cause the white chocolate to seize.
- You can skip spraying the popcorn if you don’t want the popcorn pink. Just melt and drizzle the candy melts as directed.
- Make sure to add the sprinkles while the melted candy is still wet. This way the sprinkles will stick to the popcorn!
- Use freshly popped popcorn. Don’t use old popcorn or this wonderful treat will taste stale!
🍿 More Delicious Snacks!
- Instant Pot Popcorn
- Jalapeno Popcorn
- No Bake Healthy Date Bars
- Mango Mochi
- Greek Fries
- Healthy Vegan Pop Tarts
- Vegan Graham Cracker Recipe
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
- 6 cups cooked popcorn
- pink food spray
- ½ cup pink candy melts
- ¼ cup blue candy melts
- ¼ cup orange candy melts
- unicorn sprinkles
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and spread the cooked popcorn in an even layer over both trays.
- Lightly spray the popcorn with pink food spray.
- Allow the spray to dry, turn the popcorn over and spray the other side of the popcorn.
- While the food spray is drying place the candy melts into separate microwave safe bowls.
- Heat in 30 second bursts, stirring in between each burst of heat, until fully melted.
- Scoop half of the melted candy into a piping bag or ziplock bag, snip a small hole in the end, and drizzle over the popcorn.
- Allow the candy melts to set.
- Toss the popcorn, heat remaining candy melts in the microwave and repeat.
- Sprinkle with unicorn sprinkles and let it dry before tossing one final time.
- Serve and enjoy!
- ¼ cup of corn kernels will produce 6 cups of cooked popcorn.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- ½ tsp of coconut oil can be added to the candy melts to make it easier to drizzle if you’re using a spoon instead of a piping bag.
- Any colored candy melts can be used.