High Protein Overnight Oats (7 Ways!)This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Energize your mornings with this healthy high protein overnight oats recipe! Packed with rolled oats, chia seeds, and protein powder, this high-protein breakfast option tastes amazing, is great for meal prep, has 7 different flavor options, and is super easy to make too!
Breakfast just got a whole lot tastier and healthier with this high protein overnight oats with protein powder. Say goodbye to stressful mornings and start your day with a nutrient-rich, protein-packed easy breakfast that will keep you fueled for hours!
I love overnight oats recipes because they’re a super easy breakfast that also happens to be healthy and filling at the same time. And this high protein oats recipe might be one of my favorites! Not only is it simple to make, but it’s packed with protein and requires only 5 minutes of prep time.
The best part though, is that this base recipe literally has endless flavor combinations. We included 7 different options here, but you can add just about any flavors and toppings you like for a delicious breakfast every day!
With endless variations and the convenience of preparing it ahead of time, this healthy breakfast is a game-changer on busy mornings. It really is the best high protein overnight oats recipe ever!
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Protein-packed convenience: Easy to up your protein intake since this simple recipe has tons of plant based protein!
- Overnight simplicity: Prep in 5 minutes, enjoy magically transformed oats.
- Flexible Flavors: Customize to suit your personal preference with various protein powder flavors and spices. See 7 different flavor options below!
- Balanced and nourishing: Nutritious blend of oats, chia seeds, and milk.
- Prepare ahead, enjoy later: Meal prep and make delicious, hassle-free breakfast all week.
- Dietary adaptability: Suitable for vegan or dairy-free with plant-based alternatives.
Latest Recipe Video!
To create these high-protein creamy overnight oats, you will need the following simple ingredients:
- Rolled Oats: As the base of this dish, old fashioned oats are the key ingredient that provides a hearty and satisfying texture. They are packed with fiber, which promotes digestion and helps keep you full all morning long. Don’t use quick oats, instant oats, or steel-cut oats for this easy recipe as the texture will not turn out the same. Quick oats will create a mushy texture, steel cut oats will be way too tough. To make this healthy protein overnight oats recipe gluten free, make sure to use gluten-free certified oats.
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds enhance the texture and boost the nutritional value of these high protein breakfast oats. They are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and antioxidants. They also absorb liquid, creating a thick and creamy consistency in the oats.
- Vanilla Protein Powder: Adds flavor and is a great source of protein. Whey protein powder or plant-based protein powder helps promote muscle recovery and satiety, making these overnight oats a perfect choice for a high-protein breakfast.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a warm, sweet spice that complements the other flavors in this delicious recipe. You can substitute the cinnamon for other spices like nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, or a small pinch of ground cloves or ground cardamom.
- Milk: Milk provides creaminess, richness, and moisture to these high protein vegan overnight oats. You can use your favorite type of milk, whether it’s dairy milk (if you don’t need this recipe to be vegan) or plant-based like almond milk or soy milk.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract adds a slightly rich & creamy flavor to the oats. It enhances the sweetness and complements the other ingredients, creating a well-rounded taste.
- Maple Syrup: A touch of maple syrup provides natural sweetness and adds a hint of caramel-like flavor to these protein rich overnight oats. You can adjust the amount of maple syrup based on your desired level of sweetness.
- Chia Seeds: If you don’t have chia seeds, you can use ground flaxseeds or shelled hemp seeds. Flaxseeds or hemp seeds will act similarly to chia seeds and provides the same textural component to the oats. Use them in the same quantity as specified in this high protein oat recipe.
- Protein Powder: Use your favorite flavor of protein powder! Chocolate protein powder, strawberry, or even a blend of flavors can be used to customize your overnight oats. Just make sure that the protein powder you choose mixes well, and feel free to adjust the quantity based on your desired protein content. I used vegan protein powder for this recipe, but you could also use whey protein or any type of protein powder you like.
- Milk: Any type of milk works in this recipe. We used almond milk, but any other plant-based milk (like soy milk, coconut milk, or oat milk) would work for a vegan or dairy-free version. You can also use regular milk / whole milk, low fat, or nonfat dairy milk.
- Maple Syrup: To make the overnight oats sugar free, you can substitute maple syrup with natural sweeteners like stevia, monk fruit sweetener, or a few drops of liquid vanilla or almond extract. Start with a smaller quantity and adjust to taste. You can also use agave nectar, coconut sugar, or honey if you don’t need this low sugar protein oats recipe to be vegan friendly.
- Vanilla Extract: If you don’t have vanilla extract on hand, you can use almond extract, coconut extract, or omit it altogether. These morning protein oats will still be delicious without the vanilla flavor.
🔪 How To Make High Protein Overnight Oats
These healthy overnight protein oats are super simple to prepare the night before you need them. With just minutes of prep time, you’ll have this nutritious breakfast in the refrigerator in no time!
Mix Together: In a medium mixing bowl mix together the dry ingredients: oats, chia seeds, protein powder, and cinnamon.
Add Liquid Ingredients: Stir through the milk, vanilla extract and maple syrup until well combined.
Refrigerate: Cover and refrigerate overnight. You can also transfer these overnight proats to a glass jar or mason jar and refrigerate it. Give the oat mixture a good stir after 2 hours to ensure all oats and chia seeds are evenly absorbing the liquids, and place back in the fridge.
Serve and Enjoy! The next morning, divide the mixture between 2 bowls or glasses and top it with your favorite toppings such as fresh berries, yogurt, or crushed nuts. Enjoy your high-protein breakfast oats!
💭 Expert Tips
- Consistency Is Key: If you prefer a thicker texture for your high protein oats, reduce the amount of milk slightly. For a creamier consistency, add a touch more milk. Experiment with different ratios until you find your ideal texture. Adjust the quantity as needed to achieve the desired creaminess.
- Allow Enough Rest Time: Overnight oats need time to set and develop their creamy texture. While the minimum recommended rest time is overnight (about 6-8 hours), you can extend it to up to 24 hours for even better results. This extra time allows the oats and chia seeds to fully absorb the liquid, resulting in smoother oats with a creamy texture.
- Adjusting Sweetness: Start with a small amount of maple syrup, taste your overnight high protein oats, and add more if needed. You can always add more sweetener but you can’t take it out once it’s in!
- Preparing In Bulk: Take advantage of the convenience of overnight oats by preparing them in larger batches. This healthy overnight oats recipe with protein powder can easily be doubled or tripled to ensure you have enough servings for the week ahead.
- Meal Prep: This is a make-ahead breakfast recipe! To meal prep, layer your overnight oats in a mason jar or airtight container with your desired toppings. This way, you can simply grab it from the fridge in the morning and enjoy it as a quick and nourishing breakfast on the go.
📖 Flavor Variations
Here are 7 ways you can customize your easy protein overnight oats and pack them with flavor!
- Classic Blueberry Almond: Start with a base of this creamy overnight oats recipe and top them off in the morning with a handful of juicy blueberries, a sprinkle of sliced almonds, and a squeeze of honey.
- Pina Colada: Create a tropical escape by adding diced pineapple, banana slices, shredded coconut, and a sprinkle of chia seeds to your chilled overnight oats in the morning. Each spoonful will transport you to an island getaway! Add any other chopped tropical fruits you have available for extra flavor.
- Apple Cinnamon Crunch: Wake up to the comforting aroma of apple and cinnamon. Simply layer your overnight oats with diced apple, a dash of cinnamon, a handful of crunchy walnuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup for a perfect morning crunch.
- Peanut Butter Banana: Indulge in a classic combination by swirling in a generous spoonful of creamy peanut butter and topping it with freshly sliced bananas in the morning. Feel free to add a handful of dark chocolate chips for a chocolate peanut butter banana combination!
- Chocolate Raspberry Delight: Satisfy your sweet tooth by adding fresh raspberries, a handful of dark chocolate chips, and a sprinkle of crushed almonds to this overnight oats protein recipe in the morning. It’s like having dessert for breakfast!
- Maple Pecan Pumpkin: Embrace the flavors of fall by stirring in pumpkin puree, a drizzle of maple syrup, and a handful of chopped pecans to your chilled overnight oats in the morning. Pumpkin pie in a bowl!
- Cherry Vanilla Coconut: Create a delightful combination by topping your overnight oats with fresh cherries, coconut flakes, and a sprinkle of sliced almonds in the morning.
🥜 Topping Ideas For High Protein Overnight Oats
Top your healthy protein overnight oats with anything you like! Fresh fruit, vegan whipped cream, peanut butter or almond butter, nuts, seeds, vegan chocolate syrup, the possibilities are endless. Here are some of our favorite combinations:
- Fresh Fruit: Top your high-protein oats with fresh fruit like fresh strawberries, ripe bananas, or tropical fruits. You can elevate it even more with this pear compote, this apple curd, or served with this breakfast fruit salad!
- Creamy Toppings: Try a dollop of whipped cream, white chocolate hazelnut spread, or vegan nutella. For a sweet treat, serve your protein morning oats with vanilla ice cream, matcha ice cream, chocolate banana ice cream, caramel nice cream, or even lychee ice cream!
- Protein Toppings: Sprinkle some chopped nuts or seeds like walnuts, sliced almonds, pecans, chia seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, or this high-protein granola. You can also use a drizzle of your favorite nut butter for some healthy fats, or a dollop of cottage cheese! Alternatively, if you want to add extra protein, you can make protein overnight oats with Greek yogurt AND protein powder by adding 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt to the mixture before refrigerating it overnight.
- Syrup Toppings: Serve this easy overnight protein oats recipe with some vegan honey, strawberry simple syrup, peach simple syrup, or blackberry simple syrup.
In the Fridge: Once prepared, protein overnight oats can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Place the oats in an airtight container or individual jars with lids to keep them fresh. This allows you to have a convenient and ready-to-eat breakfast option throughout the week.
Reheating: Protein overnight oatmeal can be enjoyed cold, straight from the refrigerator, or you can choose to warm them up. To heat, simply transfer the desired portion of oats to a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Adjust the heating time based on your desired temperature preference.
Regular overnight oats on their own have a moderate amount of protein, but they are not a substantial source compared to other protein-rich foods. But you can make overnight oats a good source of protein by adding in protein powder and other protein-rich ingredients like chia seeds or Greek yogurt. This high protein overnight oats recipe is super high in protein, and is guaranteed to keep you full and satisfied until lunch!
To thicken overnight oats, there are a few techniques you can try. You can reduce the amount of liquid (such as milk or yogurt) you use when preparing the oats. This will result in a lower ratio of liquid to oats, making a creamier and thicker texture. Another method is to add more chia seeds or ground flaxseeds, which have natural thickening properties when mixed with liquid. These seeds absorb moisture and create a gel-like texture, contributing to a thicker consistency.
Yes! Overnight oats are a healthy choice and are great to eat daily as they are high in fiber, low in sugar, packed with vitamins and minerals, and are a great base to add lots of nutritious customizable toppings like nuts, seeds, and fruit. They also happen to be super convenient, making it easy to have a great option for breakfast with minimal time spent in the morning. This protein oats breakfast has 8 grams of fiber and 18 grams of protein per serving!
Overnight oats are better with milk! This is because milk, whether it’s non-dairy milk or not, makes the overnight oats creamier and slightly thicker while also providing more nutrients and protein. Water is a great alternative to milk and will make the overnight oats slightly thinner but the chia seeds will still thicken up the oats until creamy.
🥣 More Tasty Oatmeal Recipes!
- Matcha Overnight Oats
- Protein Baked Oats
- Tiramisu Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter Baked Oatmeal
- Chocolate Chip Baked Oats
- Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Masala Oats
- Baked Oats without Banana
Love this healthy oatmeal recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
High Protein Overnight Oats
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together the oats, chia seeds, protein powder and cinnamon.
- Stir through the milk, vanilla extract and maple syrup until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Stir the mixture after 2 hours to ensure all oats and chia seeds are evenly absorbing the liquids, and place back in the fridge.
- In the morning divide the mixture between 2 bowls or glasses and top with your favorite toppings such as fresh berries, yoghurt, crushed nuts etc.
- Consistency is Key: If you prefer a thicker texture, reduce the amount of milk slightly. For a creamier consistency, add a touch more milk. Experiment with different ratios until you find your ideal texture.
- Allow Ample Rest Time: Overnight oats need time to set and develop their creamy texture. While the minimum recommended rest time is overnight (approximately 8 hours), you can extend it to up to 24 hours for even better results. This extra time allows the oats and chia seeds to fully absorb the liquid, resulting in smoother oats with a creamy texture.
- Adjust Sweetness: If you prefer a sweeter flavor, increase the amount of maple syrup or add a dash of honey or your preferred sweetener. Otherwise, if you prefer a less sweet taste, reduce the amount of maple syrup or omit it altogether.
- Preparing in Bulk: Take advantage of the convenience of overnight oats by preparing them in larger batches. Double or triple the recipe to ensure you have enough servings for the week ahead.
- On-the-Go Options: If you prefer a portable breakfast, consider layering your overnight oats in a mason jar or airtight container with your desired toppings. This way, you can simply grab it from the fridge in the morning and enjoy it as a quick and nourishing breakfast on the go.
- Note: Nutritional information calculated using pea protein powder and unsweetened almond milk.