Get your greens! This is one of the most nutritionally dense purees out there. Combining two of my favorite cruciferous veggies: cauliflower and broccoli with one of the healthiest green veggies out there: spinach – this is a wonderful way to make sure your baby gets their greens daily.
All three veggies contain phytonutrients, which have significant anti-cancer effects. They are all rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber too, and spinach is a veggie friendly source of iron.
A couple of notes on this puree:
1) There is a ton of fiber in this puree, so there is the potential for gas and/or tummy troubles if you introduce too much of it at once. Introduce it slowly, early in the day so any after-effects are dealt with before bedtime.
2) If your little one doesn’t like the taste of greens, try mixing it with whole milk organic yogurt and a little bit of pear. Layla loves that combination!
Baby Food Recipes: Broccoli, Spinach and Cauliflower Puree
- 1 pound frozen organic broccoli
- 1 pound frozen organic spinach
- 2 pounds frozen organic cauliflower
- At least 16oz water - more for a thinner puree.
- Put all of the frozen veggies in your steamer and steam for 5 minutes until the broccoli and spinach is bright green.
- Put into a blender in batches (there will be too much to put in all at once). Add water to thin the puree.
- Pour into ice cube trays, allow to cool, cover/wrap and freeze.
- Thaw in the fridge the night before use, or thaw by putting the ice cube in a bowl over a bowl of hot water on the counter to defrost.
TAGS: baby food recipes