Air Fryer Tortilla Chips (How To Make Crispy Homemade Chips!)This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
You are going to love these air fryer tortilla chips! Perfectly crunchy and sprinkled with salt, these crispy tortilla chips made from corn tortillas are a tastier, healthier version of your favorite restaurant chips! Super easy to make and ready in minutes, enjoy this homemade tortilla chips recipe with your favorite dip like – salsa, guacamole, hummus, and nacho cheese!
I’m seriously addicted to corn tortilla chips. That crispy and salty combination is so hard to resist! If you’re familiar with the TikTok trend, then you are well aware of this popular recipe. We had to try our hands at this exciting fad because, pretty often, we get a craving for our favorite tortilla chips from the local Mexican restaurant, or air fryer nachos with sour cream and all the toppings!
And thanks to this recipe, you can make your own homemade tortilla chips in under 15 minutes! The only ingredients you need are olive oil spray, tortillas, and salt! It really doesn’t get any easier than that.
Latest Recipe Video!
These crispy air fryer tortilla chips are a great way to make a healthy appetizer or snack. Whether we’re enjoying our favorite homemade salsa, or any other dip with these chips, this air fryer recipe is one of our favorite ways to utilize any corn or flour tortillas we have lying around the pantry!
The kids will love these crispy chips, too, so make sure you have enough to share with the whole household because this recipe is certainly a crowd pleaser! These gluten-free tortilla chips would fit well with any of our healthy Mexican vegetarian recipes!
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Healthy: These air fried tortilla chips are way healthier than a store bought bag of tortilla chips. Keep this recipe gluten-free by using corn or gluten-free tortillas!
- Kid-Friendly: Kids will love these homemade chips with pineapple salsa, cinnamon sugar, lime juice, or their favorite dips! These chips are the perfect snack for any movie night, game day, birthday party, or family dinner.
- Versatile: We love this recipe because it is just so versatile! You can switch up the tortillas if you would like and use any type such as spinach, flax, or chia seed tortillas. These chips are great for vegetarian nachos and cheese dip!
- Easy to Make: All you need are just a few ingredients and a small amount of time for this recipe. In just a couple of minutes, you will have your tortilla chips ready to be cooked in the air fryer!
You may already have these simple ingredients, but if not, you can easily access these items from the local grocery store or market! For nutritional information, see the recipe card below!
- Tortillas: You can use any type of tortillas for this recipe, but we used corn tortillas because they yield crispier chips! The Mission brand of corn tortillas can be found in pretty much any store!
- Oil: You will need a little bit of nonstick cooking spray, such as olive oil spray, coconut oil, or avocado oil, to ensure the chips get golden brown and crispy.
- Salt: Just a little bit of salt is needed for this recipe! Coarse salt or fine sea salt both work well.
- Change The Tortillas: Use larger tortillas to yield more chips. Try spinach or roasted red pepper tortillas for a different flavor. Almond flour or gluten free tortillas would be a great option as well!
- Make Nachos! Turn these chips into loaded nachos by cooking the chips, then loading with your favorite toppings such as beans, jalapeños, pico de gallo, cheese, etc.
- Add Spices: Try different flavor combinations for these easy homemade air fryer tortilla chips — add a sprinkle of chili powder and cayenne pepper for spicy chips, try nutritional yeast and paprika for a nacho cheese flavor, cinnamon + sugar for a cinnabon flavor, or chili powder + lime juice for a chili-lime flavor!
- Keto Low carb tortilla chips: Instead of regular corn tortillas, use low carb tortillas.
Follow these step-by-step photos to make the best air-fried tortilla chips every time!
Slice the Tortillas: First, stack the tortillas on top of each other and slice them into eight equal wedges.
Sprinkle with Salt: Next, lay the cut tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spray with spray oil. Lightly sprinkle the tortillas with salt.
Layer: Cover the chips with the second sheet of parchment paper and repeat with the remaining chips.
Arrange: Arrange the chips in a single layer without touching each other in the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to do this in multiple batches.
Cook the Chips: Next, set the air fryer to 390 degrees F or 200 degrees Celsius and cook for five to seven minutes. Check every few minutes to ensure the chips do not burn.
Cool: Remove the chips from the basket when lightly brown and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Repeat: Repeat with the rest of the chips, in batches, until all are cooked.
To heat already-made tortilla chips in the air fryer, simply turn the air fryer to 350°F and spray the chips with oil. Transfer the chips to the air fryer and cook for about three minutes.
You can elevate tortilla chips by adding different seasonings like lime or lemon juice, chili powder or cayenne pepper, garlic powder, or even cinnamon and sugar. You can also pair the chips with any number of yummy dips like hummus, salsa, guacamole, spinach artichoke dip, tahini, pico de gallo, and more!
Not necessarily! Deep frying is really what makes corn tortilla chips unhealthy. But with this recipe, you can make healthy homemade tortilla chips in the air fryer with way less oil than the traditional version! That makes this version a perfect snack and a healthy alternative to most packaged snacks!
We recommend laying a piece of parchment paper in between the layers of chips to make sure both layers get evenly cooked.
Yes! Aluminum foil can be used in the air fryer, but only with certain foods since acidic ingredients can cause the foil to break down.
Out of all of the tortillas we tested, yellow corn tortillas gave us the crispiest chip! If you use another tortilla like flour, white corn, gluten-free, etc. you will have to adjust the cooking time, let the chips cool, and then cook them again in the air fryer if needed (to get them to be super crispy).
🧊 How to Store
Room Temperature: Store these air fryer tortilla chips in an airtight container in a cool dry place. They will stay fresh for up to four days. I don’t recommend freezing or refrigerating these chips!
👨👩👧 Serving Suggestions
Here are some of our favorite ways to serve these air fryer tortilla chips:
- Alongside any Mexican meal like tacos, enchiladas, tostadas, or this veggie quesadilla
- As a base for loaded vegetarian nachos
- With your favorite salsa, dip, queso, guacamole, hummus, etc.
- As a garnish for soup like this vegetarian taco soup
- If you choose to add cinnamon & sugar to these air fryer chips, crumble them on top of Greek yogurt or dip them in chocolate sauce!
💭 Expert Tips
- Corn tortillas will yield crispier chips. If you want to make flour tortilla chips, you will have to adjust the cooking time.
- If you find that after the chips have cooled for five minutes, they aren’t as crunchy as you’d like, then return the chips to the air fryer basket to cook for another couple of minutes.
- Do not overcrowd the basket, otherwise the chips won’t cook properly!
- The cook time may vary depending on the make, model, and size of the air fryer used.
- You can use avocado spray oil instead of olive oil.
🍲 More Air Fryer Recipes!
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- Air Fryer Tofu
- Brussels Sprouts in the Air Fryer
- Crispy Air Fryer Ravioli
- 25 Healthy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fried Sweet Potatoes
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips (Easy 3 Ingredient Recipe!)
- 8 corn tortillas
- Olive Oil Spray
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Stack the corn tortillas on top of each other and slice into eight equal wedges.
- Lay the cut tortillas in a single layer on a tray lined with parchment paper and spray with spray oil. Lightly sprinkle the chips with salt.
- Cover the tortillas with a layer of parchment paper and repeat with the remaining chips.
- Arrange the chips, not touching or overlapping, in the air fryer basket.
- Set the air fryer to 390°F or 200°C and cook for five to seven minutes. Make sure to check every few minutes so the chips do not burn.
- Remove the chips from the basket when lightly golden and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Chips will become crunchier as they cool.
- Repeat, in batches, until all of the chips are cooked.
- Corn tortillas will yield crispier chips. Flour tortilla chips, you may not need to cook them as long.
- If you find after five minutes of cooling the chips aren’t as crunchy as you’d like, then return the chips to the air fryer basket to cook for another couple of minutes.
- The cooking time may vary depending on the make, model, and size of the air fryer used.
- If on a keto or low carb diet, then use low-carb tortillas. Use gluten free tortillas to make this a gluten free recipe.
- You can use avocado spray oil instead of olive oil.