Air Fryer Banana ChipsThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Learn how to make your very own air fryer banana chips! This crispy snack is made with just 3 simple ingredients plus a pinch of salt. These homemade banana chips are ready in minutes, are perfect for a healthy snack whenever you’re craving something crunchy, sweet, and salty!
Simple snacks are a favorite in our household – especially whenever it is a crunchy chip! While I love traditional banana chips, they aren’t exactly the healthiest option since they are deep fried and full of fat and calories.
Homemade banana chips made in the air fryer are a great way to make a healthier version of this deep fried snack, and to use up any leftover bananas you may have lying around! This easy recipe is great for any time of the day or when you need the perfect snack to satisfy your cravings.
I use my trusty air fryer all the time, because it’s a great way to create healthier versions of more indulgent treats!
This is an easy snack for anyone who loves sliced banana and who is looking for a better option than potato chips. This healthy recipe is packed dietary fiber, potassium, and Vitamin C. The crunchiness from these air fryer chips resemble the best part about potato chips – making them somewhat similar and totally desirable.
You can enjoy these homemade chips on their own, or alongside your favorite healthy smoothie for a quick and balanced breakfast or lunch. Banana crisps also work as a quick plant baed dessert after a main meal, or as a topping for this chocolate banana ice cream recipe!
This dehydrated banana chips recipe is great to take on the go, to enjoy mid afternoon, or for school lunches, picnics or camping. Making air fry banana chips is a fuss-free way to prepare a healthy snack from scratch for the kids or yourself. You’ll never get tired of these delicious, crispy chips!
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Perfect texture
- Super crunchy chips
- Naturally vegan and gluten free
- Kid friendly
- Great healthy snack option, good for easy school snacks as well
- Quick method – simple to make air fryer recipe
- Sweet and salty snack
- Satisfying crispy banana chips
- Easy to customize!
Latest Recipe Video!
The ingredient list is basic and easy enough for all cooking levels! For the full measurements, be sure to scroll down to the recipe card.
- Fresh Banana Slices: Ripe but still firm, peeled, and sliced plantains or sliced banana are what you will need for this recipe. You don’t want to use completely raw bananas, as they won’t taste as sweet, the same goes for healthy plantain chips – they’ll be more starchy and less sweet than a regular banana chip recipe.
- Lemon Juice: Fresh lemon juice prevents these bananas for turning brown and gives them bright flavors!
- Salt: A little salt allows these chips to have more flavor and brings out the natural sweetness of the banana.
- Oil / Cooking Spray: Your choice of neutral spray oil for these healthy air fryer plantain banana chips. You can use different types of spray oils such as coconut oil, olive oil, or avocado oil.
Crispy air fryer banana chips are the perfect family snack, are made with very few ingredients, and require little effort – which means it is a way for you to spend less time in the kitchen!
This balanced snack recipe is full of banana flavors that any banana lover will approve of. Here’s how to make banana chips in the air fryer:
Preheat Air Fryer, Prepare Bananas: Preheat the air fryer to 212 degrees Fahrenheit or 100 degrees Celsius. Next, slice bananas into thin slices.
Season Banana Slices: Place the banana slices on a baking sheet. Coat the banana slices with lemon juice and sprinkle lightly with salt. Spray the banana slices with a little oil. Repeat.
Air Fry Banana Chips: Place the banana slices in a single layer in the basket of the air fryer (this helps prevent sticking of banana chips). Place the basket into the air fryer and cook the air fryer banana chips for 40 minutes.
Check Halfway Through: Air frying banana chips will get you a crispy chip, but you have to check the chips at halfway through the cooking time and loosen the bananas from the air fryer basket if needed so that they don’t stick to the basket and cook unevenly. Once you have loosened the banana slices, continue to cook.
Remove From Air Fryer: Finally, remove the thin chips from the air fryer and place on a cooling rack. Repeat the cooking process with the rest of the bananas slices. Serve these air fryer dehydrated bananas warm!
💭 Expert Tips
- Chewy Chips Need More Cooking Time: These easy air fryer banana chips will become crispier as they cool. If you find the chips are chewy, then cook them in the air fryer for an additional five to ten minutes.
- Don’t Use Overripe Bananas: The best bananas to use for this recipe are firm bananas. Overripe bananas won’t crisp up properly.
- Don’t Increase The Temperature: Cooking on low heat will prevent these sweet banana chips from getting burnt. Preheating the air fryer ensures even cooking as well.
- Thin Slices Are Key: For best results, be sure to thinly slice the bananas to ensure you get super crunchy banana air fryer chips. You can use a super sharp chef’s knife or even a mandolin slicer.
- Don’t Forget The Salt!: The salt is optional; however, it does enhance the sweetness of the bananas. Feel free to toss the chips in a little bit of salt when they are done cooking for added flavor.
- Enjoy Immediately: For best results, enjoy these crunchy banana chips immediately as they will lose their crisp over time. However, they will keep for a few days at room temperature!
- Model: Cooking times will vary on make and model of the air fryer oven used. There are so many types of air fryers out there, and any model will work well for this recipe. Two of our favorites include the Philips air fryer and Cuisinart air fryer toaster oven.
- Add Savory Spices: For additional flavor and depth, try adding chili powder, paprika, turmeric powder, curry powder, or cumin to this great snack!
- Air Fryer Salt And Black Pepper Chips: Sprinkle these chips with salt and pepper for a classic combination of flavors!
- Kerala Banana Chips: Turn this air fryer banana chips recipe into a popular snack from South India simply by adding 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric and a little more salt to these chips!
- Lime Juice: For extra bold flavors, add some freshly squeezed lime juice to the chips!
- Sweet Spices: Turn this banana chip air fryer recipe into a dessert by adding a sprinkle of granulated sugar, coconut sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cardamom or even pumpkin pie spice to make these chips sweet and spicy!
- Homemade Plantain Chips: Instead of using ripe bananas, try using ripe plantains for this airfryer recipe! You can easily make tostones (air fryer plantain chips) by substituting the same amount of plantains for the bananas in this recipe. Plantain bananas are part of the banana family, but they are typically larger and thicker than bananas, and slightly more savory than sweet.
It will take 6 hours to to make air fryer dehydrated bananas. Just arrange the banana slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket, select the dehydrate function and set your time to 6 hours. Personally, I think actually air frying the chips is the way to go because it’s so fast, but dehydrating will work as well!
It takes anywhere from 6-12 hours to fully dehydrate fresh banana slices! We like this banana chips air fryer recipe because it doesn’t take nearly as long.
You will want the banana slices to be about ¼-inch thick! This size is not too thin or thick which means the chips will cook evenly.
If you make banana chips in the air fryer and they turn out to be soggy or just not very crispy, here’s what probably went wrong: 1) You didn’t cook them long enough (try popping them back in for 5 minutes and see if they crisp up!) 2) You added too much oil.
The answer is – it depends! Some brands of dried banana chips add oil and sugar, which makes them more of a dessert and not healthy for you. But if you are buying dehydrated banana chips or making this air fryer banana chips recipe, then you will end up with a low calorie and low fat snack option!
Keep in mind: if you follow a low carb lifestyle or are keto, then you will want to avoid these chips, or eat them in moderation. This is because all banana chips are high in net carbs, making them not keto-friendly.
Let the banana chips cool completely, then place them in an airtight container. These easy air fryer plantain chips will keep at room temperature for up to 4-5 days.
🍲 More Air Fryer Recipes!
- Air Fryer Jicama Fries
- Easy Air Fryer Carrots
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Yuca Fries
- Air Fryer Quesadilla
- Crispy Air Fryer Tofu
- 10-Minute Brussels Sprouts
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Air fryer tortilla chips
Love this healthy plant based snack recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious, healthy, family-friendly food, and if you have any questions, I’m here to help!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Air Fryer Banana Chips
- 2 firm bananas We used Lady Finger bananas and they worked well
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- spray oil
- salt just a pinch
- Serving bowl
- Preheat the air fryer to 212 degrees Fahrenheit or 100 degrees Celsius while preparing the bananas. Next, slice the bananas into thin slices.
- In a small bowl, coat the banana slices with lemon juice and sprinkle lightly with salt. Spray the banana slices with oil. Flip the slices and repeat.
- Place the banana slices in a single layer on the base of an air fryer basket. Place the basket into the air fryer and cook the air fryer banana chips for 40 minutes.
- Check halfway through the cooking time and loosen the bananas from the base of the basket if needed. Continue to cook.
- Finally, remove the chips from the air fryer and place on a cooling rack. Repeat the cooking process with the rest of the bananas slices.
- Extra Cooking Time: The banana chips will become crispier as they cool. If you find the chips are chewy, then cook them in the air fryer for an additional ten minutes.
- Crispy Results: Make sure to use firm bananas for this recipe for best results. We used Lady Finger bananas and they worked well.
- Slow Cooking: Cooking on low heat will prevent the banana chips from getting burnt.
- Thin Slices: Be sure to thinly slice the bananas.
- Optional: The salt is optional; however, it does enhance the sweetness of the bananas.
- Balanced Cooking: Preheating the air fryer ensures even cooking.
- Enjoy Immediately: For best results, enjoy the banana chips immediately as they will lose their crisp over time.
- Model: Cooking times will vary on make and model of air fryer used.
This was so easy to make and my kids loved them! Thank you!
Thanks so much Kelley! So glad you all liked this recipe!
When I was little my mom made banana chips using an old Ronco food dehydrator. I’ve had them from the store before but they aren’t the same.
These banana chips are way better than store bought! You will love them!
This is such a fun idea! I love banana chips but never made them on my own. Can’t wait to try them in the air fryer.
You will love this recipe Dana! They turn out perfectly every time!
This was delicious! We really enjoyed both making and eating it!
Thank you so much! 🙂
These banana chips turned out so crispy and delicious!
Yay! So happy to hear that Janessa!
What a great idea! I’ve been using my air fryer to dehydrate lots of fruits, but have not tried bananas yet.
Bananas work so well!! I was pleasantly surprised with how crispy they came out – you will love this recipe Danielle!
such an easy and hassle-free recipe! I loved these healthy treats!
Thanks so much Tavo! 🙂
I absolutely love these! Thank you for giving me an air fryer recipe for it:) They are very addictive and will def try making them at home from now on!
For sure! So glad you liked this recipe!
A great and healthy version, ideal for my family’s breakfast
My kids love this as a topping for their oatmeal in the morning! 🙂
I ate so many banana chips when I was on honeymoon. I really must try making them myself and this air fryer version looks amazing.
I can’t wait for you to try this recipe Dannii!