Nutella WafflesThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Nutella lovers, listen up! Make these sweet and decadent Nutella waffles the next time you want an indulgent breakfast. Chocolate Nutella waffles are rich in flavor, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and totally delicious! They’re easy to customize, and come with a vegan and gluten free option too!
Take your waffle game to the next level and satisfy your sweet tooth with this delicious Nutella waffles recipe! With crispy edges and a soft, fluffy center, these waffles are the perfect canvas for a generous spread of creamy Nutella.
Chocolate spread for waffles is a dream topping. All you need is a little Nutella makes to make this waffle recipe rich and satisfying. This feels like breakfast for a special occasion but it’s one of those easy breakfast recipes that you can make any time. It’s perfect for a special treat to enjoy on lazy weekends, to serve as part of a larger brunch spread, or even for dessert!
You can make these delicious waffles gluten free and vegan, and customize them in a variety of ways, so there is something for everyone! If you want to make these vegan, try it with my homemade vegan nutella.
If you’re a fan of indulgent breakfasts or just love the delicious combination of chocolate and hazelnut, this Nutella and waffles recipe is for you!
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Perfect waffles for breakfast or dessert
- Can be made ahead of time, great for meal prep
- Quick breakfast
- Kid friendly
- Family friendly
- Can easily be vegan and / or gluten free
- Best Nutella waffles recipe ever!
Latest Recipe Video!
Get all the details for the ingredients and the instructions for making these chocolate hazelnut waffles in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- All-Purpose Flour: All purpose flour makes up the bulk of these waffles and Nutella. You can use any flour you want, including gluten free flour.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder increases the volume of baked items and gives them a lighter and fluffier texture.
- Sugar: Use regular sugar or any sugar substitute that you prefer. Keep in mind that sugar substitutes are typically sweeter than regular sugar, you may want to decrease the amount you use.
- Oat Milk & Egg: Oat milk is the liquid in this recipe that combines all the ingredients together. Use any kind of milk you want, make sure you use plant milk to make it vegan. Egg is the binder that holds all of the ingredients together. To make it vegan, use 1 flax egg.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract adds a warmth to the flavor and is also great for enhancing the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Oil: Light oil, coconut oil, or melted butter: Use oil or vegan butter to make this waffle with Nutella vegan.
- Nutella: Nutella on waffles can be made with traditional chocolate-hazelnut spread or a vegan substitute.
Prep & Mix Dry Ingredients: Preheat the waffle machine. Whisk the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl.
Mix Wet Ingredients: In a separate mixing bowl add the oat milk, egg, vanilla extract, oil and Nutella. Whisk until smooth.
Combine Wet And Dry Ingredients: Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and whisk until incorporated and no lumps, being careful not to over mix the batter.
Add Batter To Waffle Machine: Scoop the batter into the waffle machine, being careful not to over fill, and cook as directed by the manufacturer.
Continue Cooking Waffles: When the waffle is cooked remove and repeat with remaining batter. Batter makes 6 large waffles.
Serve: Serve these Nutella belgian waffles topped with a drizzle of Nutella, crushed hazelnuts, whipped cream or coconut cream or any of your favorite toppings.
💭 Expert Tips
- Use a good quality waffle maker. The quality of your waffle maker can significantly impact how your chocolate waffles with Nutella turn out. Invest in a good quality waffle maker with non-stick plates that heats evenly for best results.
- Make sure your waffle iron is hot enough before adding the batter. If it’s not hot enough, your Nutella waffles will come out soft and you won’t get that golden brown color. The best way to ensure the correct temperature setting is to refer to the waffle maker instructions for your machine.
- Don’t overfill the waffle iron, use the right amount of batter. Using too much batter can result in waffles that are too thick and undercooked in the middle, while using too little can result in flat waffles. Follow the recommended amount of batter for your waffle maker and adjust accordingly.
- Keep waffles warm, or serve immediately. If you can’t make these hazelnut chocolate waffles to order, and if you’re making more than one waffle, add finished waffles to a warm oven or toaster oven to keep them heated while you’re cooking the rest of the waffles. You can either use a baking sheet or just place them right on the oven rack to keep them crispy.
Make the best Nutella waffles to suit your tastes with these variation options!
- Banana Nutella Waffles: Add sliced bananas on top for Nutella banana waffles.
- Nutella Stuffed Waffles: Make this easy Nutella waffle recipe into Nutella stuffed waffles by slicing your waffle in half horizontally, spreading Nutella in the middle, and adding the other half on top, making sort of a Nutella waffle sandwich.
- Vegan Nutella Waffle: Make this recipe vegan by using vegan flax egg and vegan Nutella.
- Gluten Free Nutella Waffle: Make these gluten free by swapping out all purpose flour for gluten free flour.
- Make It Sugar Free: Reduce the amount of sugar in this waffle con Nutella recipe by using a sweetener like stevia or monk fruit. Keep in mind that stevia is much sweeter than sugar, so use less so it doesn’t take over the flavor.
🧇 Waffle Toppings Ideas
What can you put on waffles besides syrup? So many thing!! Here are some of our favorite, most popular waffle toppings:
- Fresh Fruit: We love waffles with Nutella and strawberries or blueberries, or even pear compote or stone fruits on top.
- Creamy Toppings: Try a dollop of whipped cream, a pat of butter, your favorite nut butter, white chocolate hazelnut spread, or serve these Nutella waffles with vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt, or try different ice cream flavors like this chocolate banana ice cream, caramel nice cream, or even lychee ice cream!
- More Chocolate: Drizzle some Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread on top, or try chocolate sauce, a sprinkle of cocoa powder, chocolate chips, or chocolate shavings!
- Crunchy Toppings: Try sprinkles or chopped nuts (hazelnuts, almonds and pecans all taste great).
- Sweet Toppings And Drizzles: Try a light dusting of powdered sugar or instead of maple syrup, try honey, strawberry simple syrup, or blackberry simple syrup for this hazelnut waffle recipe.
Waffles are great made ahead of time and reheated! Once you make them, store them in an airtight container in the fridge. Just use a toaster or toaster oven for reheating (instead of the microwave), so they are crisp instead of soggy.
The main cause of soggy waffles is if your waffle iron isn’t hot enough! Make sure your waffle iron has preheated fully (for at least 5 minutes) before you add the batter to it. Also, if you’re making waffles and storing them, transfer them to a wire rack to cool so that the bottoms of the waffles don’t condense.
For extra crispy waffles, transfer the waffles to a wire rack on top of a baking sheet, and bake in the oven at 250 degrees F for about 5-10 minutes to finish them!
It’s not always necessary, but letting your waffle batter rest will allow the gluten to develop more fully, which will result in super tender, fluffy waffles instead of more chewy waffles.
Some waffle makers recommend flipping halfway through the cooking process, because that ensures that the batter spreads evenly and allows the waffles to cook faster and more evenly as well.
Store leftover Nutella waffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat them in the toaster to serve. Don’t store waffles like this Nutella waffle recipe with their toppings on them. Store everything separately and then add toppings after you reheat the waffles.
🥞 More Tasty Sweet Breakfast Recipes!
- Vegan Protein Waffles
- Breakfast Fruit Salad
- Green Waffles
- Vegan Apple Pancakes
- Pancake Tacos
- Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- Healthy Pancakes
Love this plant based breakfast recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious, healthy, family-friendly food, and if you have any questions, I’m here to help!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour or gluten free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg for vegan
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp light oil coconut oil or melted butter
- ½ cup nutella
- Waffle Iron
- Preheat the waffle machine.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl add the oat milk, egg, vanilla extract, oil and nutella. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until incorporated and no lumps, being careful not to overmix the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the waffle machine, being careful not to over fill, and cook as directed by the manufacturer.
- When the waffle is cooked remove and repeat with remaining batter. Batter makes 6 large waffles.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of nutella, crushed hazelnuts, whipped cream or coconut cream or any of your favorite toppings.
- To make these waffles vegan friendly use a flax egg and vegan nutella.
- Gluten-free flour can be used instead of all-purpose flour to make these waffles gluten-free.
- Lightly spray the waffle machine to ensure waffles don’t stick.
- Waffles are best enjoyed on the day of making.
- If you have leftover waffles cover and store them in the fridge. Reheat them by microwaving for 30 seconds – 1 minute or pop them into the toaster to heat and crisp the outside edges.
Oooh, my kids love everything Nutella so I bet these waffles will be a big hit. They come together so easily too.
Wow these look amazing! Anything Nutella flavored is my absolute favorite!
You will love this recipe Ali! 🙂
This was such a hit! Loving all the ingredients, can’t wait to make this again!
Thanks so much Shadi!
Love this recipe! Such a special treat for my kiddos and who doesn’t love Nutella!
Thanks so much Angela! So glad you liked it!
These Nutella waffles look amazing!! Thank you for the recipe, I can’t wait to make them.
Thank you so much! You will love them!