Nutella Pizza (Dessert Pizza!)This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Easy, sweet, and the perfect finishing touch to any main course, this homemade Banana Nutella Pizza is made with subtly sweet cinnamon dough and fresh banana slices! Featuring a delicious yet easy-to-make homemade Nutella spread, hazelnuts, and shredded coconut, it is a tasty vegan pizza that is perfect for the whole family!
This delightful dessert pizza is such a simple recipe, but feels elegant and special at the end of a meal. The cinnamon dough is perfectly crispy and is combined with a base layer of homemade Nutella that is indulgent, nutty, and rich in chocolate flavors.
Chocolate Nutella pizza is great with a variety of different fresh fruits, but we love to pair it with sweet and ripe sliced bananas!
This Nutella dessert is ready in less than 30 minutes and is great for holidays, birthday celebrations, brunches, or just whenever you have a sweet tooth! This is the kind of pizza that will wow your guests and that kids will beg for over and over again – I mean who doesn’t like chocolate pizza?
We first had Nutella and banana pizza at our favorite Italian restaurant and once I figured out how to put this Nutella banana dessert together, we couldn’t get enough. If you have leftover Nutella spread after making this chocolate dessert pizza recipe, save it for any of your other favorite Nutella recipes!
🍫 What Is Nutella Pizza?
This easy Nutella pizza recipe is an Italian dessert pizza recipe made with a homemade chocolate hazelnut spread, bananas, dried coconut, and chopped hazelnuts. It is sweet rather than savory and features bananas on the pizza instead of the usual tomatoes, spinach, cheese, and other savory ingredients.
Bananas aren’t the only thing you can put on Nutella dessert pizza, however; almost any combination fruit and sweet dessert toppings are great! Read on to my “variations” section for my full list of recommended alternative toppings.
👩🏽🍳 Why You’ll Love This Nutella Pizza Recipe
- Easy & Quick: Thanks to a quick crust, this recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s the perfect last-minute or weeknight dessert.
- Family-Friendly: Family members of all ages will love this chocolate hazelnut pizza! It’s the kind of pizza kids love. It’s sweet, delicious, and full of whole grains, healthy fats, and fruit!
- Naturally Vegan: Store-bought Nutella is, unfortunately, not vegan. But, since we make this version from scratch it is safe for all of our plant-based friends!
- Easy To Customize: Have a favorite fruit or other sweet toppings that you are looking to use up? This easy dessert pizza with Nutella is delicious with almost any combination of fruit, chocolate, and nuts.
Latest Recipe Video!
This recipe for Nutella pizza with banana requires simple ingredients, easily found at any grocery store! Here’s what you need:
Pizza Crust Ingredients
- Whole Wheat Flour: Adds extra fiber and protein to the pizza dough, not to mention a delicious nutty flavor. For best results, make sure you properly measure the flour by weighing or spooning and leveling it or the pizza may not turn out the way it should.
- Baking Powder: Helps the banana dessert pizza crust rise!
- Cinnamon, Coconut Sugar, Salt: Cinnamon contributes warm and rich notes to the dough, and coconut sugar adds a natural sweetness and caramel undertones to the pizza dough dessert. Salt brings out the sweetness in this recipe. Table salt, pink Himalayan salt, or fine sea salt all work.
- Olive Oil: Adds dimension and moisture to the dough.
Homemade Nutella Ingredients
- Roasted Hazelnuts: Roasting the nuts will provide the best flavor. Purchase pre-roasted nuts or see my expert tips section below to learn how to roast them yourself.
- Cocoa Powder: Natural, unsweetened cocoa powder is best for the chocolate spread.
- Vanilla Extract: For the best flavor, choose pure vanilla extract.
- Coconut Oil: Binds the spread together and adds naturally sweet and nutty notes. For the best flavor, use virgin or unrefined coconut oil.
Pizza Topping Ingredients
- Banana: You want a ripe, but not overripe banana for this banana chocolate pizza recipe.
- Shredded Coconut: Unsweetened and toasted dried coconut is best, but sweetened shredded coconut also works in a pinch.
- Nutella: For this vegan chocolate pizza, we will be making an easy homemade Nutella spread, which is a variation on my vegan Nutella recipe. To save on time or if you have some store-bought Nutella you would like to use up, you can use that instead! You can also try my white chocolate hazelnut spread if you don’t like dark chocolate Nutella.
- Oil: Avocado oil can substitute for the olive oil, though coconut oil really is the best for the Nutella spread.
- Flour: All-purpose flour can replace the whole wheat flour. Use the same amount and measure carefully with the spoon and level method to keep the dough soft and tender.
- Sugar: Raw cane sugar, monk fruit, date sugar, granulated sugar, or packed light brown sugar can all substitute for the coconut sugar for this homemade chocolate pizza.
🔪 How To Make Nutella Pizza
Make The Dessert Pizza Dough Recipe
It’s so easy to make your own pizza dough at home! Here’s how:
Preheat Oven, Whisk Dry Ingredients: First, preheat the oven. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, and salt.
Knead And Form The Dough: Add the olive oil and the warm water to the flour mixture and form a dough. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth. Form into a dough ball, and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes.
Divide Dough And Roll Out: Cut the ball of pizza dough in half to make two round pieces. With a rolling pin, roll the pizza dough portions out to ½-inch thickness in between parchment paper. Use a fork to poke holes into the pizza dough circles.
Bake Dessert Pizza Crust & Cool The Crust: Spread oil over the prepared pizza dough and place on a pizza pan or baking sheet. Bake the pizza base in a preheated oven for five to ten minutes, until it’s just lightly golden brown. Move the pizza to a wire cooling rack and cool to room temperature while you make the hazelnut spread.
Make The Nutella Spread
Pulse The Hazelnuts: First, add the roasted hazelnuts to a food processor and blitz until they resemble breadcrumbs.
Blend The Hazelnut Chocolate Spread: Add the coconut sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, and cocoa powder and blend until smooth.
Assemble Pizzas & Serve: Once the pizza bases have cooled, spread the dessert pizzas with Nutella. Top with slices of bananas, crushed hazelnuts, toasted coconut. Drizzle the Nutella and banana pizzas with more Nutella spread, if desired, and let sit 5 minutes. Slice with a pizza cutter, and serve immediately.
💭 Expert Tips
- How to Roast Hazelnuts: If you cannot find pre-roasted hazelnuts, it is pretty simple to roast your own! Just spread the raw hazelnuts out on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until the nuts are golden and smell nutty.
- Dough Tips: The dough can be shaped into either 2×8-inch pizzas or one large pizza. Additionally, don’t overwork the dough or it will become tough. You will also want to allow the dough to rest, covered at room temperature before rolling it out.
- Banana Ripeness: Make sure the bananas slices are not too overripe or soft or your banana cinnamon pizza will be mushy.
- Using Pre-Made Pizza Dough: If you don’t have time to make your own cinnamon pizza dough, you can also use a store bought fresh dough like the Trader Joe’s whole wheat pizza dough.
📖 Recipe Variations
Make your own version of this sweet pizza recipe by making any of the following simple dessert pizza ideas:
- Nutella Fruit Pizza: Instead of banana slices, top the pizza with other fresh fruit! Try raspberries, pineapple, kiwi, or orange slices. You can also add sliced fresh strawberries to make strawberry Nutella pizza. Apples, mango, blueberries, and cherries are also always delicious.
- Double Chocolate Banana Pizza: Make it a double chocolate pizza recipe by sprinkling the pizza with mini chocolate chips before serving!
- S’mores Pizza: Add a summer campfire finish to the pizza by topping the Nutella and bananas with mini marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate chips. Sprinkle with the toasted coconut if desired.
- Other Nutella Pizza Toppings: Try chopped peanuts, almonds or hazelnuts for additional crunch, whipped cream and white chocolate chips or chocolate shavings for more decadence, a drizzle of caramel sauce, or even crushed graham crackers on top!
🍽 Serving Suggestions
This homemade Nutella pizza is a fantastic dessert to serve after almost any vegan entree. It’s a particularly great dessert to serve with vegetarian pizza, too! Bring some fun to your next potluck or dessert bar by contributing this pizza; it’s a guaranteed show-stopper!
Of course, you can always enjoy this Nutella banana pizza recipe as a special, any-time-of-day-treat. Just serve it with additional sliced fruit and a cup of coffee, tea, or your favorite mocha latte.
🙌 Dietary Adaptations
This sweet pizza with Nutella is naturally vegetarian and vegan.
To make a gluten-free dessert pizza with this easy recipe, just substitute 1-to-1 gluten-free flour for the whole wheat flour and follow the recipe directions as listed.
- Pizza Storage: Store the leftover chocolate and banana pizza in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Nutella Spread Storage: Store the excess chocolate hazelnut spread in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to one week.
- Pizza Dough Freezing: Freeze baked pizza dough in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. Defrost at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours and use the pizza as directed.
Nutella pizza emerged in the 1990s in Italy when crepe stations became popular. Nutella wanted to increase exposure for their brand and provide a different Italian dessert option than the traditional gelato, and that’s how the idea of Nutella pizza came about!
Bananas on pizza might sound strange, but they are absolutely perfect on a sweet pizza like this one. The sweetness of the bananas is a perfect complement to the chocolate Nutella spread and is a welcome treat any time of the day!
For a savory pizzas, I wouldn’t recommend bananas, but apples, pears or even pineapple would all taste great in their place!
Yes, Nutella pizza is Italian, as is originated in Italy in the 1990s. It is served in many Italian pizzerias as dessert; pizziaolos (or Italian pizza makers) spread the Nutella spread on freshly baked pizza crusts and serve hot with chopped nuts or hazelnuts.
Unless you are making your own Nutella at home, store bought Nutella is not healthy to eat regularly because it is loaded with refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and other processed ingredients. Homemade nutella is much healthier, and you can make it refined sugar free (or even completely sugar free) since you can control the ingredients!
🍮 More Delicious Dessert Recipes!
- Vegan Protein Balls
- Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Banana Pudding Lasagna
- Vegan Nutella
- Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge
- White Chocolate And Raspberry Blondies
- Pear Gorgonzola Pizza
Love this plant based dessert recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Nutella Pizza (Dessert Pizza!)
Dessert Pizza Dough
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (Homemade Nutella)
- First, preheat the oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, and salt.
- Add the olive oil and the warm water to the flour mixture and form a dough. Turn the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes, until dough is smooth. Cover dough and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half to make two 8-inch round pieces. Roll the pizza dough portions out to ½-inch thickness in between baking or parchment paper. Use a fork to poke holes into the bases and spray with oil.
- Bake for five to ten minutes until just cooked through. Allow the pizza to cool while you make the nutella spread.
- Add the roasted hazelnuts to a food processor and blitz until they resemble breadcrumbs. Next, add the coconut sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, and cocoa powder and blend until smooth. Adjust sweetness to taste.
- Once the pizza bases have cooled, spread them with a layer of hazelnut spread (about 1/4 cup per pizza base), sliced bananas, crushed hazelnuts, and toasted coconut. Cut the pizza into eight pieces and serve immediately.
- Dough Tips:
- The dough can be made in either 2×8-inch pizzas or one large pizza.
- Don’t overwork the dough or it will become tough.
- Allow the dough to rest, covered, on the bench before rolling out.
- Bananas: For best results, don’t use overripe bananas or the pizza will be mushy.
- Pizza Storage: Store the leftover pizza in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Nutella Spread Storage: Store the excess chocolate hazelnut spread in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to one week.
- Gluten-Free: To make this pizza gluten-free, use 1-to-1 gluten free flour in place of the whole wheat flour.