Mocha Latte (Starbucks Copycat Recipe!)This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Creamy and rich, this homemade, delicious mocha latte recipe is just as good as Starbucks! It’s easy to make with only three ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time!
There’s nothing quite like a caffeinated pick-me-up! There are just some mornings when strong coffee is what I need to have a productive day. As much as I love a hot coffee from Starbucks, the line can be ridiculously long, and it’s not exactly budget friendly to buy coffee every day!
As it turns out, coffee drinks are easy to make in the comfort of your own home, and they cost a fraction of the price! This decadent coffee drink requires just three ingredients: hot chocolate powder, dairy milk (or plant based milk), and espresso.
This easy mocha latte is creamy, rich, and indulgent. It comes out perfect and without the need for expensive equipment. A steam wand is great, but not necessary for frothy milk. So grab your favorite coffee mug and a whisk, because the addition of chocolate takes this regular latte up a notch!
Latest Recipe Video!
👩🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to customize, will satisfy your sweet tooth!
- Only 3 ingredients!
- Tastes just like the Starbucks version!
- No special equipment necessary
- Made with simple ingredients
- All natural, no artificial flavors
- Ready in less than 5 minutes
- Easy to make vegan, and a super healthy option too!
- Perfect combo of chocolate and coffee flavor
This simple recipe requires only three ingredients, found at most grocery stores!
Hot Chocolate Powder: Hot chocolate powder is made of cocoa powder, sugar, and sometimes milk powder. I prefer Ghirardelli, but you can buy whichever hot chocolate mix you like. Mocha syrup can also be used.
Espresso Coffee: If you have an espresso machine, that’s great! If you can’t pull shots of espresso, no worries! You can make espresso with a French press, a Moka pot, or instant espresso powder as well. If you’re in a bind, you can make this homemade recipe with instant coffee too.
Low-Fat Milk: Hot milk is frothed to achieve that coffee shop texture. I prefer low-fat milk, but feel free to use whole milk if you like a richer drink. Oat milk, soy milk, almond milk, and coconut milk are creamy dairy-free options.
Local coffee shops know how to put a spin on a latte! Try one of these delicious variations to elevate your morning cup of coffee in the comfort of your own kitchen.
- Vegan Mocha Latte Recipe: Replace the milk with almond milk or a plant-based alternative. Be sure to buy a hot chocolate mix without dairy or animal products.
- Iced Mocha Latte: Combine the espresso and cocoa mix until dissolved then refrigerate. Once the mixture is cold, pour it over ice and top with milk.
- Peppermint Latte: Replace the hot chocolate powder with two tablespoons of vanilla syrup and 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract.
- White Mocha Latte: Replace the hot chocolate powder with white chocolate sauce.
- Caramel Mocha Latte: Add one tablespoon of caramel sauce to the espresso and chocolate mixture. Top the whipped cream with caramel sauce.
- Skinny Mocha Latte Recipe: Use sugar-free hot cocoa powder and non-fat milk, or unsweetened almond milk for fewer calories!
- Healthy Mocha Latte: For a healthier version, use 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder + 1/2 tablespoon hot cocoa mix, or use 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder + 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup. Use unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk. Then you will end up with a 100 calorie drink with only 5 grams of sugar!
Dissolve Chocolate Powder: Pour the cocoa mix into your coffee mug. Pour in the hot, strong coffee and stir until the powder dissolves.
Froth The Milk: Heat the milk in the microwave or on the stovetop in a small saucepan then froth it. To froth the milk, use a handheld milk frother (a frothing wand) or a whisk. Carefully whisk the hot mixture vigorously until it’s light and frothy.
Pour Into Coffee: Pour the frothed milk into the coffee and chocolate mixture.
Enjoy: Enjoy this delicious latte with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and chocolate sauce!
❓ Recipe FAQs
A mocha latte is a coffee drink made with espresso, milk, and chocolate sauce. It can be hot or iced and customized however you like. It’s also referred to as a caffe mocha or just a mocha.
Yes, you can make a latte with strong brewed coffee. Just make sure it’s dark and strong to mimic the flavor of espresso. Leave plenty of room on top for steamed or frothed milk.
A homemade mocha latte is best enjoyed immediately. It can be stored in the refrigerator (in an airtight container or mason jar) for later, but you will lose the frothiness of the milk. An iced latte can be prepared ahead of time, and then all you have to do is add ice.
The easiest way to get a shot of espresso is by an espresso maker, but it’s not the only way! An Aeropress, a Moka pot, and a French press all make espresso with a similar flavor. Instant espresso is always an option too.
💭 Expert Tips
- If you don’t have hot chocolate powder, chocolate sauce works great too! Replace the cocoa mix with 1.5 tablespoons of chocolate syrup then follow this easy recipe as directed.
- Be sure to use the right type of coffee beans, look for espresso beans. Most varieties are made with arabica coffee beans, but espresso beans are typically a dark roast.
- If you like a sweeter flavor, add 2 teaspoons of white sugar to the hot chocolate powder.
- This mocha recipe is delicious on its own, but tastes even better with toppings! Whipped cream, chocolate shavings, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, chocolate sprinkles, cacao powder, cookie crumbs, or mini chocolate chips are good options.
- To make this homemade latte recipe with more natural chocolate flavor, add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the hot cocoa mix (or replace half the mix with unsweetened cocoa powder).
☕ More Delicious Drink Recipes!
- How To Make Tea
- Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows
- Healthy Hot Chocolate With Cinnamon
- Ube Latte
- Honey Latte
- Lavender Latte
- Butterfly Pea Flower Latte
- Vegan Horchata
- Biscoff Latte
- Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- Moon Milk
- Golden Latte Recipe
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Mocha Latte Recipe
- 1 tbsp hot chocolate powder can use up to 2 tbsp for a more decadent drink
- ½ cup espresso coffee
- 1 cup low-fat milk or unsweetened plant-based milk
- whipped cream optional
- chocolate syrup optional
- Add the hot chocolate powder to a glass or mug.
- Pour in the prepared espresso coffee and stir until the powder has completely dissolved.
- Heat the milk and froth using either a handheld milk frother or alternatively use a whisk and whisk vigorously to form light frothy milk.
- Pour the frothed milk into the coffee mixture.
- Top with whipped cream (if using), a dusting of chocolate powder and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
- If you don’t have an espresso machine you can use brewed coffee or even instant coffee.
- To make an iced mocha latte prepare the recipe up to step 2, place it into the fridge to cool completely. When cold add ice to a tall glass, pour the chilled expresso over the ice and fill the glass with chilled milk. Top with whipped cream, a dusting of chocolate powder and chocolate syrup.
- To make this vegan friendly simply substitute the milk with any plant based milk and use vegan-friendly whipped coconut cream.
- For a healthier option, use 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder + 1/2 tbsp hot chocolate mix and unsweetened almond milk, (then you will only have 5 grams of sugar per cup and only 100 calories per cup)!
- This recipe has 8 grams of added sugar per cup, the remaining sugar is natural sugar from the milk.