Strawberry Crunch ToppingThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Sprinkle this easy strawberry crunch topping over your favorite desserts, snacks, and sweet breakfasts! This tasty topping is ready in just 12 minutes and uses only 3 simple ingredients!
Homemade strawberry crunch topping is one of the easiest recipes and can be used in so many different ways! It’s similar to a strawberry shortcake crumble, and tastes like the outside of those strawberry shortcake ice cream bars from your childhood.
This delicious dessert is so versatile, and elevates any dish. Whether you sprinkle it on a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the perfect summer dessert, add it as a topping for cupcakes, or add it to the moist layers of strawberry cake, you are sure to be in absolute heaven!
There are so many amazing dessert recipes, but this strawberry shortcake crunch topping really stands out. It enhances the flavor of anything it is added to, and is so simple to make!
With one bite of this strawberry crunch crumble recipe you will be back to your childhood, running down the street to the ice cream truck. The strawberry bars were always a favorite of mine, but I think we can all agree that the crunchy crumbles were the best part!
If you love strawberry desserts then you will absolutely love this recipe!
👩🏽🍳 Why You’ll Love This Strawberry Crumb Topping
- Super Easy: Good news! This make ahead topping is perfect for anyone, no matter your baking skills. With 5 minutes of prep time and 7 minutes of cook time, this strawberry crunch recipe is a breeze!
- Only 3 Ingredients: You will only need 3 convenient ingredients to make this strawberry cookie crunch topping!
- Fun: Have fun sprinkling the crunchy topping onto all your favorite treats and recipes!
- Delicious: The combination of classic cookies and sweet strawberry flavor makes for the most delicious topping for cakes, cupcakes, ice cream, chocolate covered strawberries, and more!
Latest Recipe Video!
This strawberry shortcake crumble recipe only requires 3 ingredients, easily found at your local grocery store. See the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for exact measurements.
- Golden Oreo Cookies: Using golden Oreo cookies adds the best sweetness and subtle vanilla flavor without adding vanilla extract.
- Strawberry Jello: You will use 1 packet of strawberry jello (or any strawberry gelatin brand) for this recipe for strawberry crunch crumbs. For this crumble, you will not be making the jello but simply using the powder for flavor. Note: To keep this recipe vegetarian friendly, use a plant based jello.
- Butter: Use regular unsalted butter or vegan butter to help the Oreos and jello combine in this strawberry shortcake crumble topping.
🍲 Ingredient Substitutions
- Cookies: You can try out other crushed cookies like shortbread cookies, vanilla wafers, or even graham crackers. Add in vanilla frosting if you’d like, to accommodate for the missing Oreo filling.
- Freeze-Dried Fruit: Instead of jello, you can also use a cup of freeze-dried strawberries for a flavorful strawberry cookie crumble!
🔪 How To Make Strawberry Crunch Topping
With a few simple steps you will have your very own strawberry shortcake crumbles! Follow along with these detailed instructions. Here is how to make homemade strawberry crumble topping:
Preheat Oven, Blend Oreos: Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Add the Oreo cookies to a food processor and pulse several times until desired texture is achieved.
Mix All Ingredients: Transfer the crushed cookies to a mixing bowl and add melted butter and strawberry jello powder. Thoroughly mix until well combined.
Bake Strawberry Crunch Topping With Jello: Spread the strawberry crunch mix in an even layer over the prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges.
Stir: Remove and gently stir to break up the cooked topping.
Let Cool: Allow the strawberry shortcake crumbs to cool to room temperature before serving.
💭 Expert Tips
- Food Processor Alternative: If you don’t have a food processor you can place the Oreo cookies into a ziploc bag and break up using a kitchen meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- Do Not Overcook: Keep an eye on the topping while cooking as you don’t want it to burn. Check after 5 minutes of cooking and every minute after that.
- Do Not Over-Pulse: Don’t pulse the cookies too much as you want to keep some texture for more coarse crumbs.
- Add Sprinkles: Mix in rainbow sprinkles for a birthday cake strawberry crunch topping with golden Oreos!
- Add Chocolate Chips: Make this a chocolate covered strawberry variation by adding in some mini chocolate chips.
- Raspberry Crunch Topping: Use raspberry jello mix or freeze dried raspberries for a fun and tasty alternative flavor!
- Strawberry Crunch Cake Topping: For a special occasion, make strawberry crunch cupcakes or cake. You can decorate the top of the cake with the topping for a crunchy texture or even mix some into the cake batter.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
There are so many delicious ways to serve this easy strawberry shortcake crumble with Oreos! I love it with breakfast recipes or dessert recipes the most! Here are a few of my favorite ways to use these strawberry crunchies:
- On Cake: I love sprucing up a classic vanilla white cake or mixing the crumbles into a boxed cake mix. Want to make the ultimate strawberry crunch cake recipe? Try making a strawberry poke cake (use vanilla pudding mix so it’s extra moist). Add a homemade whipped topping using powdered sugar and softened butter. Then sprinkle the crumbles and fresh strawberries on top!
- On Waffles: Put this topping on any waffle of your choice but these nutella waffles are exceptionally good! You can even try it with croffles!
- On Pancakes: Add the strawberry crunch crumbles to the top of your favorite pancakes, like these oat flour pancakes or mochi pancakes.
- On Yogurt: Sprinkle this strawberry crunch crumble topping on your morning yogurt for a tasty yogurt bowl. I like it on this peanut butter yogurt bowl for a pb&j feel! Feel free to add some high protein granola for extra crunch and protein.
- On Chocolate Desserts: Strawberries and chocolate go perfectly together! Put this topping over chocolate almond milk pudding or dipped on top of chocolate donuts.
- For An Ice Cream Party Spread: Serve this strawberry crunch crumble with golden Oreos as part of an ice cream sundae spread! It’ll taste great on top of your favorite ice cream like lychee ice cream, vanilla ice cream, strawberry ice cream, or chocolate ice cream! Use other items like strawberry simple syrup, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, cherries, whipped cream, crushed nuts.
🙌 Dietary Adaptations
This strawberry shortcake topping recipe is already dairy-free with the vegan butter option, but can be made vegan or gluten-free too.
Vegan Option: For a vegan strawberry crunch topping recipe you will need to use a plant-based jello which you can find at places like Walmart or Amazon.
Gluten-Free Option: For a gluten-free version, you can use any gluten free sandwich cookie that you find! Some brands include Goodie Girl, Simple Mills, or Glutino.
This easy recipe is also easy to store! Here’s how to store and keep this strawberry shortcake crunch:
To Store In The Fridge: Store these strawberry crunch sprinkles in an airtight container or zip-top bag in a cool, dry place. It will keep for up to one week. The next time that you are ready to enjoy the cookie crumble, simply open the container and sprinkle some on top of your favorite foods!
This easy strawberry crunch recipe is made of 3 ingredients: golden Oreos, strawberry jell-o, and butter! While there are other variations to this recipe, I find this to be the most delicious and simple.
Strawberry shortcake crunch topping is more of a treat than a healthy snack, but if you make it with freeze dried strawberries instead of jello, it will be healthier than many desserts and other similar toppings! In the classic recipe, there is added sugar in this due to the jello and the Oreos, but you won’t be eating this in super large servings. Adding a little crunch topping to healthy recipes like unsweetened yogurts or whole grain pancakes makes for the perfect balance of sweet and nutritious!
You can’t use fresh strawberries in this strawberry crumble as is, as they will make the crumble soggy. While I find the easiest method is using strawberry jello powder, the next best choice would be to use freeze dried strawberries. If you only have fresh strawberries on hand, you would need to dry them first and then blend.
Your strawberry crunch dessert might be sticky for two main reasons: First, you added too much butter. Second, the topping was not properly stored, allowing air to get in and the topping absorbed moisture. If this happens, bake your topping in the oven again for about 4-6 minutes until dry.
🍓 More Easy Strawberry Recipes!
- Strawberry Juice
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Bahama Mama Smoothie
- Strawberry Milk Tea
- Strawberry Smoothie Bowl
- Strawberries And Cream Oatmeal
- Vegan Strawberry Pop Tarts
- Breakfast Fruit Salad
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Strawberry Crunch Topping
- 22 golden oreo cookies
- 3 oz packet of strawberry jello
- ¼ cup butter or vegan butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 180 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the oreo cookies to a food processor and pulse several times until desired texture is achieved.
- Transfer the crushed cookies to a mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Thoroughly mix until well combined.
- Spread the mixture in an even layer over the prepared baking tray and bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges.
- Remove and gently stir to break up the cooked topping.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- If you don’t have a food processor you can place the Oreo cookies into a ziplock bag and break up using a kitchen mallet or a rolling pin.
- Use vegan butter if preferred.
- Some delicious ways to serve strawberry crunch topping is to sprinkle on top of yogurt, waffles, pancakes or even sprinkled on top of cupcake frosting!
- Keep an eye on the topping while cooking as you don’t want it to burn. Check after 5 minutes of cooking and every minute after that.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 week.
- Don’t pulse the cookies too much as you want to keep some texture in the cookie crumbs.