Mediterranean Style PaninisThis post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Today is one of those “too-hot-to-cook-need-something-easy-for-dinner” types of days.
This afternoon I got home after my weekly grocery shopping trip, looked at the kitchen, and felt like lounging around a lot more than I felt like cooking.
And so, I decided that the husband and I would be having these amazingly easy and delicious grilled paninis for dinner. I had just picked up a bunch of Mediterranean ingredients: creamy feta, red onion, red peppers, tomatoes, olives inspired by the weather outside, and I thought it would be perfect to throw into a sandwich.
It’s a much healthier version of the classic panini, thanks to the whole wheat bread, less cheese and the addition of veggies — and if you want even more veggies a light spinach salad would go great with this dinner.
It took only 15 minutes to make – which is exactly the amount of time I wanted to spend in the kitchen today 🙂
The husband loved it, and I know this is going to become a staple in our house in the coming weeks!
- Whole wheat bread (2 slices per panini) – I like Rudi’s organic flax seed bread
- Feta cheese (2 oz per panini)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Olives, chopped
- salt, pepper, garlic cloves, oregano, crushed red pepper, or any herbs & spices/seasonings you like
Step 1: Chop your veggies, and slice the cheese into approx. 2 oz slices
Step 2: Layer your panini: cheese first, then toppings (as much as you like!). Top with salt/pepper/oregano/crushed red pepper — basically any spices you like.
Step 3: Grill your panini! I used a panini press, but you can also use a grill pan if you don’t have a panini press.
When it’s done it will look like this:
That is it!
Now just plate it…
And eat it 🙂
Each panini has 317 calories, 15g fat, 936mg sodium, 34.8g carbs, 6g fiber, 5g sugar, and 17g protein. The more veggies you add to your panini, the more fiber it will have.
And if you add only 1 oz of cheese to your panini, you will end up with 241 calories per panini, 9.3g fat, 620mg sodium, 33.6g carbs, 6g fiber, 5g sugar, and 13g protein.
Mediterranean Style Paninis
- Whole wheat bread 2 slices per panini - I like Rudi's organic flax seed bread
- Feta cheese 2 oz per panini
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 tomato sliced
- olives chopped (use 3-4 olives per panini)
- salt pepper, garlic cloves, oregano, crushed red pepper, or any herbs & spices/seasonings you like
- Chop your veggies, and slice the cheese into approx. 2 oz slices
- Layer your panini: cheese first, then toppings (as much as you like!). Top with salt/pepper/oregano/crushed red pepper -- basically any spices you like.
- Grill your panini! I used a panini press, but you can also use a grill pan if you don't have a panini press.