Panera Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich RecipeThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
This healthy, easy Panera Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich recipe is a delicious copycat version of Panera’s most popular veggie sandwich! Packed with hummus, greens, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and vegan feta cheese, it only takes 10 minutes to make and it tastes better than the original!
This copycat Panera Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich is one of the best sandwich recipes ever! The whole family will love the creamy, flavorful hummus paired with crunchy veggies on soft whole wheat bread.
It tastes great and is perfect for those busy days when you think you don’t have the time to prepare a healthy lunch. It will literally take less time to make this healthy sandwich than to order takeout, and you’ll save about $10 by making this sandwich at home instead of buying it!!
Latest Recipe Video!
Use homemade or store-bought hummus to bring together the flavors with the layers of veggies in this sandwich. In fact, swapping out the creamy hummus is one of the simplest ways to amp up or alter the flavor. Roasted red pepper hummus, cilantro jalapeno hummus, black bean hummus, or even a garlic hummus are all yummy options to try on this mediterranean veggie sandwich recipe.
This mediterranean panini recipe is a delicious meal all on its own, but you can also cut the sandwiches in half to pair the half sandwich with a steaming cup of soup or a fresh green salad!
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Super easy recipe!
- Healthy sandwich that’s fewer calories than the restaurant version
- This Panera bread vegetarian sandwich is perfect for lunch!
- Takes 10 minutes to make
- Simple ingredients you can find in any grocery store
- So much flavor in every bite!
- Kid friendly lunch you can customize with their favorite veggies
- One of the best vegan sandwich recipes ever!
You don’t need anything fancy at all to make this copycat Panera veggie sandwich recipe. It’s made with simple ingredients you keep on hand, like whole wheat bread, hummus, and fresh veggies. For a complete list of ingredients and quantities, refer to the recipe card below.
- Whole Wheat Bread: While Panera uses slices of Tomato Basil Bread for this sandwich recipe, I used vegan-friendly whole wheat bread. I love Dave’s Killer Bread, but if you can’t find that, try one of these healthy bread brands. You can also use any type of bread you like – try a rustic sourdough or for a gluten free option, try our gluten free bread or buckwheat bread.
- Salad Greens: Use whatever salad greens you like to keep on hand. I typically like to buy a green leaf lettuce blend, or you can opt for plain lettuce (emerald greens), spinach, arugula, or sprouts alone.
- Vegan Feta Cheese: You only need about an ounce of feta cheese on each sandwich. The tangy flavor of feta goes a long way. If you don’t have or don’t like feta, you can leave it out!
- Roasted Red Pepper: Make homemade roasted red bell peppers or use the jarred kind for convenience. They’re delicious either way. Panera’s version is made with peppadew peppers, so if you can find those in a store near you, grab them.
- Fresh Vegetables: I used red onion, sliced tomato, and a sliced mini cucumber to stay as close to the Panera version as possible. For the tomatoes, I typically choose vine-ripened tomatoes or Roma tomatoes. Kalamata olives or black olives are also yummy on a Mediterranean sandwich.
- Hummus: Use your favorite brand of pre-made hummus or feel free to make your own hummus at home.
- Salt and Pepper: Added to taste. I recommend fresh cracked black pepper and a sprinkle of kosher salt or sea salt for the best flavor.
Add different fresh veggies: Swap out any of the veggies you don’t like for other Mediterranean veggies. Try alfalfa sprouts, artichokes, eggplant, bell peppers, or even zucchini.
- Try different greens: Swap out the mixed salad greens for any that you prefer. Fresh dandelion greens would be scrumptious, as would arugula or fresh baby spinach.
- Try a different spread: Not a fan of hummus? Tzatziki is a fabulous spread for a homemade Mediterranean veggie sandwich recipe, especially those that have cucumber! Spinach and feta dip is a lovely green dip that’ll add color to this Panera Bread veggie sandwich recipe
- Swap out the cheese: While feta is fabulous for many Mediterranean dishes, some don’t enjoy the strong flavor. If you’re looking for something a bit milder, try vegan Ricotta cheese, or vegan queso fresco. If you don’t need this sandwich to be vegan, you can also try goat cheese or blue cheese.
- Make a wrap: Swap out the bread for your favorite tortilla or wrap, add the toppings and fold it up like a burrito!
- Turn it into a Mediterranean veggie panini: If you’re not a cold sandwich person, make the sandwich, then grill it on a grill pan or in a panini press for a hot mediterranean panini!
🔪 How To Make The Best Panera Bread Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
Prep Your Ingredients: Grab 4 slices of bread, and slice your veggies ahead of time to make assembling the sandwich simple and easy. Spread a generous amount of hummus on two slices of bread.
Layer Your Sandwich: Add greens to one side, and top with roasted red peppers, tomato slices, cucumber slices, red onion slices, feta cheese, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Finish: Top this delicious sandwich with a final slice of bread and slice in half.
Make A Second Panera Bread Mediterranean Sandwich! Repeat the steps with the remaining bread and ingredients. Serve and enjoy!
❓ Recipe FAQs
These sandwiches don’t store that well, because the water content from the veggies will make the sandwiches soggy the longer they sit in the fridge. I recommend enjoying these sandwiches freshly made. Cut the recipe in half if you only need one sandwich.
However, if you do want to make them both at once and save one for later, you can prep all the ingredients, but keep the veggies, hummus and bread in separate airtight containers or sandwich bags. Then, when you’re ready to eat, spread the hummus on the bread slices, add your toppings, and you’ll have your sandwich ready to go in 1 minute!
Serve this Mediterranean vegetable sandwich with a simple salad, a bowl of soup, or some crispy French fries.
No, Panera’s version is not vegan because it’s made with regular feta cheese crumbles, and Panera’s Tomato Basil Bread is made with honey. If you’d like to make it vegan, skip the feta, and use one of their vegan breads.
But it’s super easy to make Panera’s mediterranean veggie sandwich vegan with two simple swaps! THIS version of the sandwich is completely vegan because we use a plant-based bread (honey-free) and vegan feta (or tofu feta).
Per VeggL, vegan breads at Panera include the French Baguette, Classic Sourdough, Rustic Sourdough, Black Pepper Focaccia, and Artisan Ciabatta.
The answer is – sort of! It’s got some great nutritional value — it’s high in fiber, high in protein, and has tons of veggies. But it’s also high in calories – one sandwich will run you about 630 calories. Instead, you can save money, time and make our healthier version at home! You can enjoy our whole sandwich for under 300 calories!
💭 Expert Tips
- Don’t put these sandwiches together until you’re ready to eat them. The veggies and hummus will make the bread too soggy if put together far in advance.
- Toast the bread to add a little extra crunch and structure to your sandwiches.
- Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over the sandwiches before adding the last slice of bread to brighten up the flavors.
- Add another layer of sandwich ingredients and a third slice of bread to turn this into a veggie club!
🥪 More Easy Sandwich Recipes!
If you like this copycat Panera Mediterranean veggie sandwich recipe, you’ll also enjoy these recipes:
- Vegan Chicken Sandwich
- Vegan Reuben
- Greek Pita Sandwich
- Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich
- Grilled Cheese With Pickles
- Gourmet Banana Peanut Butter Sandwich
- Sourdough Grilled Cheese Sandwich
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Panera Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich (Copycat Recipe!)
- Have all ingredients sliced and ready to use.
- Lay two slices of bread on the cutting board. Spread a layer of hummus on each slice.
- Add a layer of salad greens to one slice.
- Top with remaining ingredients. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Finish with a final slice of bread to finish off the sandwich.
- Repeat with remaining bread and ingredients to make a second sandwich.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
- To make this gluten free, use a gluten free bread
- Feel free to swap out the mixed salad greens for any that you prefer. Fresh dandelion greens would be scrumptious, as would arugula or fresh baby spinach.
- Try a different spread: Not a fan of hummus? Try tzatziki or spinach and feta dip.
- These sandwiches don’t store well, so enjoy them right after you prepare them. They will keep for a couple of hours at room temperature if you want to make them slightly in advance.