Baby Food Recipes: Indian Lentil StewThis post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Lentils, rice and veggies in a “stew” are one of the easiest meals to make for your little one. In India, it’s called “khichdi” – but it’s basically the same as an “Indian Lentil Stew.” I like mixing in some spices to give it additional flavor, and throwing in a variety of veggies to make it a one-pot meal.
You can make it in a crock pot, a pressure cooker, or let it simmer on the stove for hours, there’s very little prep work and a lot of downtime with this recipe.
Essentially, the ingredients are: 2 cups of lentils (any lentil is fine, I’ve used red lentils, yellow split peas, and “moong dal” which you can get at the Indian store), 1 cup of white basmati rice, brown rice or quinoa, a combination of 2-3 bags of veggies (1 bag of carrots, 1 bag of peas, 1 bag of green beans, broccoli, spinach, etc.), and 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp garam masala, and a pinch of salt.
Just throw it all into a pot on the stove, bring it to a boil, and then let it simmer for hours. Or, throw it all into a crock pot and simmer on high for 4-6 hours.
Then I just mash it all up, and serve with 1-2 tbsp yogurt for a healthy and delicious meal! Sometimes I mix this recipe with my broccoli, spinach, cauliflower puree, and Layla gobbles it up.
I think this might be her favorite meal yet!
This is another baby food recipe you can make in bulk and freeze in ice cube trays, or store in the fridge up to 5 days. You’ll end up with a delicious, healthy, one-pot meal for your little one!
Baby Food Recipes: Indian Lentil Stew
- 2 cups of lentils any lentil is fine, I've used red lentils, yellow split peas, and "moong dal" which you can get at the Indian store
- 1 cup of white basmati rice brown rice or quinoa
- 6 cups of water
- A combination of 2-3 bags of veggies 1 bag of carrots, 1 bag of peas, 1 bag of green beans, broccoli, spinach, etc.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Pinch of Salt
- Whole milk organic yogurt for serving
- Put water, lentils, rice/qunioa, veggies, and spices into a large pot on the stove.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and simmer 1-3 hours until it's the consistency you like, stirring occasionally.
- (Alternatively, put all ingredients into a crock pot and cook on high for 4-6 hours)
- Mash up, freeze in ice cube trays or store for 5 days in the fridge.
- Serve with whole milk organic yogurt.