Lentils, rice and veggies in a “stew” are one of the easiest meals to make for your little one. In India, it’s called “khichdi” – but it’s basically the same as an “Indian Lentil Stew.” I like mixing in some spices to give it additional flavor, and throwing in a variety of veggies to make it a one-pot meal.
You can make it in a crock pot, a pressure cooker, or let it simmer on the stove for hours, there’s very little prep work and a lot of downtime with this recipe.
Essentially, the ingredients are: 2 cups of lentils (any lentil is fine, I’ve used red lentils, yellow split peas, and “moong dal” which you can get at the Indian store), 1 cup of white basmati rice, brown rice or quinoa, a combination of 2-3 bags of veggies (1 bag of carrots, 1 bag of peas, 1 bag of green beans, broccoli, spinach, etc.), and 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp garam masala, and a pinch of salt.
Just throw it all into a pot on the stove, bring it to a boil, and then let it simmer for hours. Or, throw it all into a crock pot and simmer on high for 4-6 hours.
Then I just mash it all up, and serve with 1-2 tbsp yogurt for a healthy and delicious meal! Sometimes I mix this recipe with my broccoli, spinach, cauliflower puree, and Layla gobbles it up.
I think this might be her favorite meal yet!
This is another one you can make in bulk and freeze in ice cube trays, or store in the fridge up to 5 days. You’ll end up with a delicious, healthy, one-pot meal for your little one!
Baby Food Recipes: Indian Lentil Stew
- 2 cups of lentils any lentil is fine, I've used red lentils, yellow split peas, and "moong dal" which you can get at the Indian store
- 1 cup of white basmati rice brown rice or quinoa
- 6 cups of water
- A combination of 2-3 bags of veggies 1 bag of carrots, 1 bag of peas, 1 bag of green beans, broccoli, spinach, etc.
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Pinch of Salt
- Whole milk organic yogurt for serving
- Put water, lentils, rice/qunioa, veggies, and spices into a large pot on the stove.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and simmer 1-3 hours until it's the consistency you like, stirring occasionally.
- (Alternatively, put all ingredients into a crock pot and cook on high for 4-6 hours)
- Mash up, freeze in ice cube trays or store for 5 days in the fridge.
- Serve with whole milk organic yogurt.
TAGS: baby food recipes