I know what you’re thinking: raisins on a pizza??
I agree, they’re not the standard pizza topping.
But they do make for a nice change of pace when you’re looking for a twist on the traditional pizza. And when paired with the other ingredients in this recipe: light zucchini ribbons, tangy feta, and crunchy pine nuts, these raisins make the pizza taste absolutely delicious!
What are zucchini ribbons? They are basically thin strips of zucchini that you make by running a vegetable peeler down the side of a zucchini length wise.
They are super easy to make, and take less than 5 minutes — it feels just like peeling a vegetable, but instead you’re peeling the entire zucchini until all you have are the ribbons.
This pizza is perfect for a quick, weeknight meal. It takes about 30 minutes to make and, when paired with a glass of wine, will make you feel like you dined at a nice California Bistro on a summer evening – without ever leaving your kitchen!
Zucchini Ribbons Pizza
- 1 package whole wheat pizza dough I like the one from Trader Joe’s
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 cup or about 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese or soft goat cheese
- 1/3 cup Sun-Maid Golden Raisins or Natural Raisins
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine the olive oil, garlic and lemon zest in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, use a vegetable peeler along the length of the zucchini to make thin “ribbons.” Mix zucchini ribbons thoroughly with the olive oil mixture.
- Either crumble the feta or spread the goat cheese evenly over the pizza crust.
- Sprinkle the raisins evenly over the cheese. Add the zucchini ribbons evenly on top of the pizza, lightly folding and mounding them.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
- Bake the pizza either on the oven rack directly or on a baking sheet for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy.
Now here’s the fun part. In honor of this recipe, and in the spirit of back-to-school, I’ve teamed up with Sun-Maid for a raisin and dried fruit prize pack giveaway!
One lucky reader will win a prize pack filled with a variety of 5 different Sun-Maid products — of which there are tons to choose from:
To Enter: You can enter in one of four ways (each option below counts as a separate entry):
- Subscribe to The Picky Eater via RSS or via email
- Follow me on Twitter (@pickyeaterblog)
- Like The Picky Eater on Facebook
- Follow me on Pinterest
Then post a comment here letting me know which option(s) above you chose.
This giveaway will be open until Sunday, September 30th at 11:59pm PST. I’ll be selecting the winner at random (via random.org) and will contact them via email. I’ll be announcing the winner in the comments of this post on Monday, October 1st.