Lomi vs. Vitamix ComposterThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
In this review of the Lomi vs. Vitamix Composter we will dive deep into the pros and cons of each, along with key similarities and differences. If you’ve been considering purchasing an indoor composter, this helpful guide is perfect for you!
What Is Kitchen Countertop Composting?
Food scraps and yard waste constitute over 30 percent of the annual material we dispose of in landfills. Rather than discarding your kitchen waste, an eco-friendly alternative is composting your food to help slow down and reduce climate change!
You can do this with an outdoor composter but it can be time consuming and takes up a lot of space. Another choice is to invest in a countertop composter!
There are two options: an in home compost bin or an electric countertop composter. Technically an indoor compost bin (without a filter lid) could be sat on your counter, but it will likely get stinky and attract bugs!
An electric kitchen composter, like Lomi, is designed to avoid that odor thanks to charcoal filters while also breaking down foods faster. By composting food waste you are able to take an active role in not only diminishing greenhouse gas emissions but also in giving nutrients back to the soil. You can put the nutrient-rich composted material to good use by adding it in your garden for flourishing, healthy plants!
Does Countertop Composting Actually Work?
While different from other forms of composting, countertop composting does work! With traditional compost bins or outdoor piles you may have to wait 6 months to a year for the final product, requiring a long time of patience and work.
Additionally, you will have to turn the pile every few days to rotate the food scraps and yard waste for oxygen during the decomposition process. With an at home composter like Lomi or the Vitamix FoodCycler, you are able to compost organic materials effectively and efficiently with minimal work and reduced time. Electric composting is a great way to participate in an eco-friendly practice, without any of the typical odor, maintenance, and time that it usually requires!
The Lomi composter for home works by accelerating the composting process. Lomi’s first two stages are heating and grinding, which happen simultaneously and begin the steps to breaking down food scraps and waste materials. The last stage is a cycle that alternates between heating and cooling. This cycle creates an optimal environment to break down food. Generally these stages would take several months, but thanks to the nuanced engineering and biological sciences behind Lomi, it is able to break down food waste in hours.
Lomi Composter Overview
Next in this Lomi composter review, let’s break down some of the key information you’ll want to know so you can find the best food recycler for you and your home!
The Lomi food composter is a compact appliance that can conveniently stay on your kitchen counter without taking up too much surface area!
Lomi requires only a little more than a cubic foot of space making it a great option for apartment dwellers, but it’s really a fit for anyone who doesn’t want to deal with the process of an outdoor compactor. Anytime you have food scraps, you can toss them in the compactor instead of the garbage. No more insects or pests! No more stinky odors! This easy and sustainable method allows you to reduce our food waste problem and transform food items into nutrient-rich plant food.
The best part? This organic waste material will elevate your soil quality and nourish indoor plants and outdoor gardens too!
- Price: The Lomi Basic is $499 and includes everything you need to get started! The Lomi Unlimited is typically $639, but is currently only $399.99 ( that’s $238 in savings!!). With Unlimited, you get an unlimited supply of Filter Refills and LomiPods billed quarterly for $20/month). There is also a Pay It Forward package for $559 where you help contribute to donating a Lomi to a school! Both the Unlimited and Pay It Forward come with a 3-year extended warranty.
- Run Time: Lomi takes 3 to 20 hours depending on the cycle you choose. See the FAQ section for a more detailed breakdown on the cycle times.
- Size/Dimensions: 16″ W x 13″ D x 12” H
- Capacity: 3L
- Cord Length: Standard plug-in with 10’ cord
- Weight: 9 kgs (19-20 lbs)
Shop Lomi Home Composter
Vitamix FoodCycler Overview
The Eco 5 and Vitamix FoodCycler FC-50 makes it easy and effortless for anyone to make a positive environmental impact. With the FoodCycler products, food waste is ground into a fine, dry powder. This nutrient-rich dirt is more easily broken down when mixed with soil.
Composting with the Vitamix countertop composter reduces the volume of food waste by up to 90%. The FC-50 compact machine is a great option if you do not have a lot of space. Simply hit that power button and watch as the in home composter goes to work. Check out some of the information below to help you decide between the Lomi vs FoodCycler!
- Price: FC-50 is $399.95. The Eco 5 is $599.95. Both come with a 3-year full warranty.
- Run Time: 3-8 hours, with most people reporting it to take closer to the 8 hour mark.
- Size/Dimensions: FC-50 is 12.6” W x 11” D x 14.2” H. The Eco 5 is 13.5” W x 10.9” D x 13.8” H
- Capacity: FoodCycler FC-50: approximately 10.5 cups/2.5L, Eco 5: Approximately 5L
- Cord Length: Standard plug-in with 2’ cord
- Weight: The Eco 5 is 30 lbs
Shop Vitamix FoodCycler
- Comes in two size options to fit a variety of composting needs
- Mess free & odor free – will not attract bugs or pests!
- Eco friendly, reduce waste by up to 90%!
- Easy to use, easy to clean, compact
- Can compost almost anything!
- 3 year warranty
Comparing Lomi vs. Vitamix
When comparing Vitamix vs. Lomi there are many factors to consider. We will be examining things like ease of use, odor control, attraction of bugs, noise levels when composting, ease of cleaning, types of things each will or will not compost, how each looks on the counter, filter replacement requirements, maintenance, and more! First up are the pros and cons for both the Lomi electric composter and Vitamix home composter!
- Easy to use
- Odor free
- Will not attract bugs or pests
- Noise is minimal, same level as dishwasher
- Almost everything you eat can be composted with Lomi
- 3 different modes: eco express, lomi approved, and grow mode
- Can compost small bones and meat scraps
- Can compost fruit rinds, banana peels, and coffee grounds
- Can compost Lomi approved bioplastics and papers
- Compact, clean design – looks nice on the counter
- Subscription options for filter replacements with 10% off
- Save money when you buy more filter packs
- Offer Lomi Pods that create the healthiest, nutrient-rich soil
- Lomi Earth can be added directly to your plants
- Compost bucket holds up to 3L- not too big or too small
- Different cycle options – can pick what dirt quality you’d like
- Lomi Unlimited has 3 year extended warranty
- On the pricier side for kitchen appliances
- Might feel too big for small spaces
- Need to replace filter every 2-3 months
- Filter can break down quicker if you run a lot of highly scented foods through Lomi like fish, broccoli, and curries
Vitamix FoodCycler Pros
- Easy to use
- Odor free with carbon filter lid
- Will not attract bugs or pests
- Quiet cycles, minimal noise
- Can handle scraps like chicken bones, fruit cores, veggie peels, and dairy products
- Easily clean- removable waste bucket goes in dishwasher
- The FoodCycler FC-50 fits almost anywhere – can keep removable bucket on counter or under sink and FoodCycler™ in the garage or on counter too
- Options for sizes, with a more compact size holding 2.5L or larger size holding 5L
- Eco 5 offers refillable filter with carbon pellets
- 3 year full warranty
- Quick operation time with a 4-8 hour processing time
- Eco 5 offers 2 colors to blend in with other countertop appliances
Vitamix FoodCycler Cons
- On the pricier side for kitchen appliances
- 2.5L feels a bit small, while 5L feels a bit too large for kitchen
- Does not offer subscription for filter replacements
- Some food can stick to bucket
Major Similarities Between Lomi And Vitamix
Both the Lomi countertop composter and Vitamix FoodCycler allow for food waste to be broken down and turned into plant fertilizer.
Both are able to be stored on your kitchen counter for convenience and ease. With either product, you are able to cut down on your waste and send less food to the landfills. In turn, you help our environment and reduce carbon emissions.
Currently you can get both the Lomi Unlimited and the Vitamix FC-50 for $399! Overall, when comparing the Vitamix composter vs Lomi there are many similarities and both would do a good job.
Major Differences Between Lomi And Vitamix
One of the main differences when examining the Lomi composter vs Vitamix FoodCycler is that Lomi counter-top composter can break down compostable plastics, paper products, and other packaging materials. This Lomi unit also has 3 operation modes compared to Vitamix’s single mode.
Vitamix’s end product has to be mixed with garden soil and left for several weeks before planting with it, whereas Lomi Earth can be used right away and added directly to plants.
Additionally, many Vitamix food composter reviews complained about food sticking to the bin. This is something I didn’t notice when using my Lomi, and when looking over Lomi reviews.
Home Composter FAQs
When comparing the Vitamix FoodCycler vs Lomi, I do believe Lomi is the best home composter. The size and style of Lomi is more pleasing to the eye, in my personal opinion. Vitamix has an overall 4.6 star rating with 788 reviews in total, and Lomi has an overall 4.71 star rating with 3,505 reviews in total.
With that, we can conclude that more people enjoy their experience with the Lomi composter vs Vitamix. With 3 modes and a more diverse range of acceptable compost materials, Lomi is the better option. While either of these electronic composters will be helpful in reducing the speed of global warming, Lomi feels like the best way to go.
Yes! Lomi makes it their mission to be as environmentally friendly as possible! In fact, it is the only certified Carbon Neutral electric composter on the market today. The Lomi device reduces your carbon footprint by up to 127%.
Additionally, Lomi only uses a little bit of energy, with 1kWh of electricity per cycle. That is ½ the energy usage of running a dishwasher, for reference. Lomi’s 2023 reduction plans include utilizing more biobased materials in the production and making future Lomi models 10% more energy efficient.
Lomi Earth is much more environmentally friendly and safe versus synthetic fertilizer most commonly used on farms in the United States. It has high organic matter and feeds vital microorganisms.
Aside from Vitamix, this kitchen composter review would not be complete without the mentioning of a couple other contenders.
Other Lomi composter alternatives include the Beyond Green Composter and the Reencle Prime.
The Beyond Green runs for $429.99 with a compact size of 20″ x 12″ x 20″. It is made from recycled and recyclable materials! It does take longer to compost than Lomi, requiring around 5 days with automatic mixing, heating, air pump, and air filter technology.
Another alternative is the Reencle Prime, which offers no odor, low hassle, and super-silent operation. The Reencle runs for $499, but currently has a sale for $449. It comes with 2 free filters, 1 shovel, and microbes and allows you to compost 2.2lbs of food scraps each day. The carbon filters last for 2 years. The Reencle Prime is taller at 12”D x 13”W x 18.4”H and is best suited for the floor like a small trash can.
Either of these home composters can be good choices as Lomi alternatives depending on what you are looking for!
The Lomi kitchen composter can break down food and transform it into nutrient-rich fertilizer in 3 to 20 hours. The time it takes to make Lomi compost depends on which cycle you choose, along with what foods are in your Lomi! Eco-Express mode is the fastest method taking 3-8 hours. With this eco mode you are able to reduce food waste, take trash out less, and minimize odors and smells in the trash. You can dispose of this in your green bin. Grow mode takes longer (12-20 hours) but is the most nourishing and can be added to your plants! Grow mode is for fruit and vegetable scraps only and cannot process bioplastics or processed/cooked foods.
According to the Lomi website, Lomi Earth is a great addition to your soil for added nutrients! The most beneficial end result is made during Grow Mode and when using a LomiPod. LomiPods help to further increase the microbial population and soil organic carbon content in soil. Having that boost of microbial life in soil increases the availability of nutrients such as nitrogen to plants, allowing them to grow healthier!
Lomi dirt is high in organic matter, vital nutrients, and organic carbon, allowing it to store key nutrients in the soil. Nutrients won’t get washed away and your plants will grow and thrive. Lomi dirt also holds more water, allowing plants to be more drought resistant and saving you time on watering. This is great for both small or large gardens!
Final Thoughts: Is Lomi Composter Worth It?
I hope you found this Lomi vs Vitamix Composter review to be insightful and resourceful! If you have been looking for a way to reduce your food waste and cut down on methane emissions, then the Lomi countertop composter is definitely worth it!
While it is a bit pricey, the finished product is a nutrient-rich compost that can be used to grow flourishing plants and healthier food from your garden. If troublesome fruit flies and smelly odors have been an issue for you in the kitchen, Lomi is an excellent solution with so many benefits! It is aesthetic and sleek enough for the kitchen counter and offers an effective and easy way to dispose of kitchen scraps. It is so much easier than a traditional compost pile and will deliver the best results.
When you are ready to compost, it only takes the push of a button and you’re all set! If you have been looking for the best electronic kitchen composter, this may very well be it!