The Best Natural Products for Babies (2020 Guide)This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
There are so many things to learn when you’re a new parent. Beyond all of the baby-care basics, there’s the whole world of figuring out what products you need, what items you want in your nursery, and how to ensure that everything you buy is safe and non-toxic for your baby! That’s where this guide comes in: these are the best natural products for babies including skin care, diapering, food, formula, shampoo and bath products.
When I first got pregnant, I remember being overwhelmed with the sheer volume of information that was thrown at me.
It was hard enough to figure out what to buy, let alone determine whether those items were manufactured using nontoxic or organic ingredients.
While I was always conscious about ingredients in food, I never really thought about the ingredients in skincare, shampoo, clothing, etc. until I became a mom.
But once I learned about the laundry list of toxic ingredients that can be found in skincare products – I realized I wanted to be more careful when choosing the best products for my kids!
Why Are Natural Products for Babies Important?
If you look at most products made for babies (and adults!), you’ll find that they very likely contain ingredients that are linked to hormone disruptions, allergies, inflammation or are carcinogenic in nature.
This is because FDA regulations are pretty relaxed when it comes to skincare and other products, so these ingredients tend to be pretty prevalent.
Babies are the most susceptible to the effects of these chemicals, because their bodies are still growing and developing, and they don’t have the same ability to detox from harmful substances as adults do.
The good thing is, there are plenty of safe, natural baby products available! When it comes to which ones to prioritize, just do whatever works with your budget – having some natural products is better than none!
How To Find the Safest Baby Products
Here’s what I looked for when determining this list of the best natural products for babies:
- EWG Verified, Made Safe Certified, or USDA Organic
- Free of These 20 Toxic Ingredients
- No artificial fragrances
- No animal testing
- Ingredients you can (generally) pronounce
What Are The Best Natural Products for Babies?
Top 10 Best Skincare & Lotion Products for Babies
EarthMama is USDA Certified Organic, NSF/ANSI 305 and Non-GMO Project Verified. Their lotion has no added fragrance, no petroleum, mineral oil, or parabens.
Beautycounter is committed to using 100% clean ingredients in their products. While they are not 100% organic, they do use some organic ingredients and they are EWG verified.
Nature’s Paradise is organic, hypoallergenic, non-toxic, vegan & cruelty free. Their products contain no chemicals, parabens, phthalates or GMOs.
Many of Babo Botanical’s products are EWG verified. This particular lotion is hypoallergenic, fragrance free, gluten, soy and dairy free. It is also enriched with Babo’s Organic Nutri-Soothe™ Complex packed with vitamins.
Baby Boo’s lotion contains all natural and organic ingredients. It is paraben free, dea free, cruelty free and vegan.
This is a great balm for super sensitive skin (and they have a money back guarantee)! It’s Certified Organic, paraben free, alcohol free, fragrance free and contains no toxins, phthalates, petrolatum, mineral oil and cruelty free.
All of Baby Mantra’s products are EWG verified, Natural Products Association Certified, PETA Certified and vegan. They’re natural, organic, non-toxic and hypoallergenic. This lotion doesn’t contain any sulfates, parabens, phthalates, dyes, and synthetic fragrances or chemicals.
While Puracy isn’t 100% organic, they do use many organic ingredients. They are also Certified Cruelty-Free, plant-based, nontoxic, hypoallergenic, contain no silicones or parabens, vegan, gluten-free, and biodegradable.
All of Pleni Natural’s products are certified non-toxic through Made Safe. They are also certified vegan, cruelty-free, dermatologist-tested, allergy-tested, and gluten-free.
Mambino is made with organic ingredients, is vegan, free of chemicals and synthetic preservatives.
Safest Diapers and Wipes for Babies
The main thing to look for when it comes to diapers/wipes/etc. is that they don’t include any of these ingredients:
- No dioxins (chlorine bleach)
- No volatile organic compounds (VOCs – e.g. toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene)
- No TBT
- No fragrances or dyes that contain parabens/pthalates/etc.
- No formaldehyde-releasing chemicals (e.g. formaldehyde, quaternium-15, DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, polyoxymethylene urea, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol (bromopol) and glyoxal)
- No Propylene glycol or polyethylene glycol, no SLS or SLES (Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate), no Triclosan, no Methylisothiazolinone (MIT)
Here are the best natural diapers and wipes I’ve found:
These diapers are biodegradable, chlorine free, cruelty free, FSC Certified. They’re free of harmful chemicals and all known allergens, and have a unique three-layer design and super-absorbent core that can stand up to multiple wettings—even overnight!
Earth + Eden is free from lotions, parabens, latex, fragrance, and chlorine bleaching. It’s cruelty free – not tested on animals; made with SFI Certified sustainably sourced fluff; printed with non-toxic water-based inks and produced in a zero waste to landfill facility!
These aren’t your typical Pampers diapers. They’re made from 100% certified sustainably sourced wood pulp. They are also made without chlorine bleaching, fragrance, lotion, parabens, and EU 26 allergens. rnMade with premium cotton, soft plant-based fibers, and other thoughtfully selected materialsrnPampers Pure Protection diapers are gentle and hypoallergenic, for unbeatable skin care vs. Honest diapers (based on Size 4)rnUp to 12 hours of trusted Pampers leak protection. Size 4 (22 – 37lbs)rnMade with 100% certified renewable electricity and sustainably sourced wood pulp
These wipes have just two ingredients: 99.9% water with just a drop of fruit extract. The wipe material is a blend of 80% polyester and 20% viscose, which makes 20% of the wipe biodegradable. They are vegan society accredited, hypoallergenic, contain no parabens or sulphates, and received the national Eczema association of America seal of acceptance.
Pampers Hypoallergenic Wipes are made with 99% pure water and 1% dermatologically tested cleansers. Free of alcohols (ethanol or drying alcohol), dyes, parabens, and fragrances.
Best Natural Diaper Rash Cream for Babies
100% organic, dermatologist tested and clinically tested for irritation. No petroleum, parabens or artificial fragrance. Can be used as a diaper balm for diaper rashes or just to prevent diaper rash; can also be used as a balm for any other irritated skin as well!
EWG Verified, formulated with non-nano zinc oxide, this diaper cream treats and helps prevent redness and irritation with safer ingredients.
Best Natural Baby Food
When it comes to baby food, your best option is really to make your own to ensure it’s 100% organic and has no added sugars or preservatives! But if that’s not possible, the next best thing is to find healthy baby food pouches that meet these criteria:
- No added sugars, and less than 8g of natural sugar (from fruits) per pouch
- Only contain vegetables, or are vegetable-forward (e.g. 3 vegetables listed first on the ingredients list and then 1-2 fruits listed as #4 and #5).
- High in fiber (2g or more)
Best Natural Baby Formula
When it comes to baby formula, there are a few things to look for to find the best option for your little one:
- Organic and Non GMO: Either certified USDA organic, or EU certified organic. This means that it was produced without pesticides, GMOs, hormones, and should have no artificial or synthetic ingredients.
- Whey:Casein Ratio: You want to find a formula that has a whey: casein ratio of 60:40, which most closely mimics breast milk.
- Grass Fed: Since organic formulas use cow or goat milk look for ones that are grass fed.
- No Added Sugars in the form of syrups or syrup solids (e.g. brown rice syrup, corn syrup, glucose syrup solids)
- No Soy or Carrageenan
This guide outlines the best natural baby formula options on the market today!
Shampoo and Bath Products
No chemicals, no artificial fragrance, non-nano zinc. Water resistant, UVA/UVB protection, contains organic ingredients. NSF/ANSI 305 Certified by Oregon Tilth.
Water-resistant, formulated with non-nano zinc and California Poppy, UVA/UVB protection, Reef-friendly and eco-friendly.
80 minutes water and sweat resistant, 100% Non-Nano Zinc Oxide Sunscreen, contains organic ingredients, hypoallergenic. Free of: Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Peanuts, Almonds, Walnuts, SLS, Sulfates, Parabens, Phthalates, Synthetic Fragrances, Dyes, Sodium chloride, Formaldehyde, MEA, DEA, TEA, and most common allergens. UVB/UVA protection.
Has only 7 simple ingredients: non-nano zinc oxide, organic sunflower oil, organic beeswax, sunflower vitamin E, organic chamomile, organic calendula, and organic seabuckthorn. Gluten-free & hypoallergenic, UVA/UVB protection, water resistant for 40 minutes. Reef-safe. EWG certified. Eco-friendly and biodegradable. 98% organic ingredients. Non-GMO and contains no dyes, parabens, or other artificial ingredients.
Reef safe, made without oxybenzone and octinoxate. Formulated without: PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano particles. UVA/UVB protection.
Other Things To Consider
- Switch to Organic Cotton Bedding: According to the Organic Trade Association (OTA), 25% of the world’s insecticide use and more than 10% of the world’s pesticides are for cotton crops. These chemicals can be toxic or allergy-inducing for babies. Avoid the risks by using organic cotton which is grown without the use of toxic pesticides or fertilizers, and has a lower environmental impact.
- Choose Organic Clothes & Stuffies: For the same reasons as above, look for clothing brands that use 100% organic cotton; in addition look for dyes with low impact, heavy metal-free colors which do not contain harmful chemicals (PVC and phthalate free), don’t use chemical bleaches and are formaldehyde free.
- Choose BPA Free Bottles/Accessories: To help reduce exposure to chemicals found in many plastics, try switching to products made without the toxic chemical Bisphenol-A or “BPA,” which can disrupt hormones and may lead to a number of health problems. Switching to BPA free containers for food storage will help keep your baby from digesting chemicals being transferred to their food.
- Look for BPA/Toxin Free Toys and Teethers: Avoiding plastics overall can sometimes be challenging, so checking the resin code/number is always a good idea. Plastics labeled 1,2, 4, or 5 are considered safer. If you want to completely avoid plastics altogether, choose natural materials like unpainted wooden toys and organic cotton cloth or plush toys. Many toys/teethers made from these safer materials are available to help you stay away from plastic! Also, another tip is when buying painted toys, make sure the paint is non toxic and lead free.
- Buy Safer Cleaning Products/Detergents: Most conventional cleaning products contain lots of toxic chemicals which would be harmful to anyone and especially a growing child. Try choosing only natural, eco friendly cleaning products (which clean just as well as conventional cleaners without the added toxins).
I hope this guide helps you find the best products for you and your little one!
Note: These products are based on my own personal recommendations and what I would use for my own kids. I am not a medical professional, and you should always consult with a doctor before trying any products I recommend with your child(ren).