Healthy Edible Cookie Dough (Vegan, Gluten Free)This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
This healthy edible cookie dough recipe is totally irresistible! Grab a spoon, and dig in! This gluten free and vegan cookie dough is made with all natural ingredients and has no raw flour or egg. Dotted with dark chocolate chips in a subtly sweet almond flour dough with a hint of sea salt! It’s so decadent you won’t realize it’s healthy. It’s the ultimate treat!
Calling all cookie dough lovers! Are you guilty of licking the spatula when you’re making chocolate chip cookie dough? I know I am! It’s so irresistible! The cookie dough is sometimes even better than the chocolate chip cookie itself!
However, eating raw cookie dough is not such a good idea, as we all know. Raw eggs and raw flour (commonly found in cookie dough recipes) contain harmful bacteria that can do quite a number on your tummy!
That’s why I created this edible vegan cookie dough recipe that uses all natural whole food ingredients, and safe raw ingredients! It’s eggless cookie dough that tastes just as good as traditional cookie dough. And the best part: you can enjoy this no-bake treat guilt-free and not have to worry about an upset stomach at all!
Latest Recipe Video!
It’s the perfect sweet snack to cuddle up under a warm fuzzy blanket, sit back, and watch your favorite movie!
Simple and quick to prepare using pantry ingredients, you can whip up this treat and satisfy your sweet tooth in just 15 minutes!
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Made with 7 simple ingredients
- Ready to enjoy in 15 minutes
- Safe to eat raw!
- Low sugar, naturally sweetened
- Vegan friendly
- Guilt-free treat!
This recipe is super easy to make and requires only 7 basic ingredients easily found in your pantry or at your local grocery store! For detailed instructions and quantities, see the recipe card below.
Almond Flour: Unlike other flours, such as all-purpose flour, almond flour is perfectly okay to eat raw. It is simply blanched almonds that have been ground to a fine powder like consistency. It’s very light, has a nutty flavor, and is the main ingredient for this recipe. You can also use coconut flour if you don’t have almond. And if you have a nut allergy, you can use oat flour. Oat flour is also safe to eat raw, and the consistency of it works well in this recipe.
Chocolate Chips: If vegan, be sure to get a dark chocolate chip without milk. I also recommend using the mini chocolate chips in this no bake dessert. I like the ones from Enjoy Life!
Coconut Oil: Make sure that the coconut oil is softened but not liquid. This will help to keep all the ingredients bound together. Coconut oil adds healthy fats to this healthy cookie dough recipe too!
Almond Milk: I used unsweetened and unflavored almond milk. You can also use an oat milk, or soy milk here if you prefer – any non-dairy milk of your choice will work. Just make sure you choose one that is unsweetened and unflavored.
Maple Syrup: For a light and natural sweetener use organic maple syrup. You can also use coconut sugar, brown sugar, agave syrup, or honey (but if you use honey, it won’t be a vegan cookie dough anymore!)
Vanilla Extract and Sea Salt: The vanilla extract brings out the natural flavor of the other ingredients while the sea salt helps to balance the sweetness.
Add Nuts: If you like your chocolate chip cookies with nuts, why not try them with your cookie dough! Add chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds!
Healthy Chickpea Cookie Dough: Use 1 cup of garbanzo beans and 1/3 cup almond flour as the base for this recipe! All of the other ingredients will remain the same – and just be sure to use a food processor to blend everything together (you won’t be able to use a mixing bowl and a spatula when you’re adding the chickpeas in!)
Make Ice Cream: Break up the cookie dough into small pieces, and then add it into your favorite pint of vanilla ice cream for a semi-homemade chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream!
Healthy Edible Cookie Dough Bites: Turn this ultimate edible cookie dough recipe into cookie dough balls! After you’ve chilled the dough, use a large cookie scoop and put individual scoops of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roll each scoop in between your hands to get a smooth ball shape. Chill for another 1-2 hours before serving.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to this recipe!
Vegan Protein Cookie Dough: To amp up the protein in this recipe, add 1-2 tablespoons of nut butter and 1 scoop of your favorite vegan protein powder! I like using chocolate or vanilla flavored protein powders since they go well with the flavors in this recipe.
Mix Ingredients: In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and sea salt. Mix until ingredients form a crumbly consistency.
Add Milk: Add the almond milk and stir well again.
Fold in Chocolate Chips: Fold in the chocolate chips until they stick into the mixture well.
Chill: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the mixture for 30 minutes in the fridge.
Serve: Divide this healthy snack into eight small bowls and enjoy!
It will likely not turn out well. This dough is not meant to be baked. It’s meant to be eaten raw and chilled. Baking the dough will likely result in a soft cookie that doesn’t hold together.
Edible cookie dough, unlike regular cookie dough, uses ingredients that are gentle on the stomach, and perfectly safe to eat in their raw form. For example, edible cookie dough does not include any raw egg, or raw flour that will irritate your stomach and could give you food poisoning.
No, I do not recommend you eat raw cookie dough that comes in the tube in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. That cookie dough is not meant to be eaten raw, and therefore has ingredients that must be baked before eating.
Eating raw dough from the grocery store could potentially make you sick. There are however, other brands that make a cookie dough that is meat to be eaten raw. For example, BHU Foods, makes a Keto Protein Cookie Dough that comes in a jar.
Chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 5 minutes before serving. Scoop portions into small individual bowls. Top with chopped nuts, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, or sprinkles. Or simply eat it plain with a spoon!
Absolutely! And with the almond flour, it’s grain free as well!
🧊 How To Store
Refrigerator: Chill in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Freezer: Transfer this healthy cookie dough to a freezer safe zip-lock bag. Push all air out of the bag, and seal. Label and date. It will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Defrost: When ready to enjoy, transfer from the freezer to the refrigerator and allow to defrost for at least an hour before eating.
💭 Expert Tips
- Be sure to measure out the ingredients accurately for the best consistency and texture.
- Use mini-chocolate chips for an even distribution of chocolate.
- Add in some creamy peanut butter, almond butter or even cashew butter for a more nutty flavor.
- Don’t blend the ingredients with an electric mixer! Use a spatula or spoon. The dough is delicate, and doesn’t need any beating.
🍪 More Healthy Dessert Recipes!
- No-Bake Cookies without Peanut Butter
- Low Sugar Desserts
- Edible Brownie Batter
- Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge
- Vegan Ferrero Rocher
- Vegan Pudding
- Healthy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Healthy Edible Cookie Dough
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and sea salt. Mix until ingredients form a crumbly consistency.
- Add the milk and stir well again.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until they stick into the mixture well.
- Chill the mixture for 30 minutes in the fridge. Divide evenly into four small bowls and enjoy!
- Refrigerator: Store leftover cookie dough in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- Freezer: The dough can also be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
- Defrost: When ready to enjoy, defrost frozen cookie dough in the refrigerator overnight or until thawed through
- Mini Chocolate Chips: Use mini-chocolate chips for an even distribution of chocolate.
- Stir In Nut Butter (Optional): Add in some creamy peanut butter, almond butter, or even cashew butter for a more nutty flavor.
- Hand Mix: Don’t blend the ingredients with an electric mixer! Use a spatula or spoon. The dough is delicate and doesn’t need any beating.
- Make Cookie Dough Balls (Optional): Make little cookie dough bites for snacking adding to ice cream, and more! Using a small cookie scoop or spoon, scoop little balls of cookie dough and roll until smooth. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and freeze for 6-8 hours, or overnight. Move the cookie dough balls to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Enjoy individually frozen, sprinkle onto vegan ice cream, or fold into homemade cream to make cookie dough ice cream!