Vegan Butternut Squash ChiliThis post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Ok guys, this vegan chili is pretty freakin’ awesome 🙂
This is one of those recipes that you think will be really complicated because of the long ingredients list, but once you have everything bought and on your counter, it’s actually pretty easy to make!
Made with sweet butternut squash, savory and warm spices, fiber and protein-packed black beans, crunchy corn, and acidic tomatoes, this chili has just about every flavor you could possibly want!
It’s the perfect winter meal: it’s stick-to-your-ribs good.
The husband was skeptical of this recipe because he’s not a huge fan of butternut squash. “It’s too squishy,” he says. After all these years he still has textural issues when it comes to some foods 🙂
But I was determined to make butternut squash taste great even to him! I figured, if he liked this recipe, then most people probably would too. And I was right!
This recipe turned out to be a huge hit.
It’s vegan and gluten free, and for those of you who are vegetarian and love cheese, feel free to top each bowl with 1 tbsp shredded cheese as well! It’s slow-cooker friendly too – I’d just saute the onion and garlic beforehand, and then you can throw everything else into the slow cooker and let it simmer all day. The longer it cooks, the better the flavors will be.
Layla loved this recipe and literally asked for it 4 days in a row. Success on all fronts 🙂
I hope you love this as much as we did!
Vegan Butternut Squash Chili
- 3 lb butternut squash
- 3 carrots
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 peppers
- 1 large onion chopped
- 12 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 cups low sodium vegetarian broth
- 2 10oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 30 oz black beans 2 cans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp regular paprika
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Chopped green onions to serve
- Shredded cheddar cheese to serve (non-vegan option)
- Adapted from The Kitchn
- Peel the squash and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Peel the carrots and cut into 1 inch pieces
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Stir in the butternut squash, carrots, bell peppers, onion, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, beans, and corn.
- Stir in all the spices (chili powder through cayenne).
- Bring back to a simmer then reduce the heat and cook for at least 1 hour, or until the squash and carrots are tender. The longer it simmers, the better the flavors will be!
- Serve hot with chopped green onions and 1 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese per bowl (optional!)