Sweet Potato Curry with ChickpeasThis post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
It is FRIGID temperatures in Ann Arbor this week. Like below freezing all day long. The high today was 20 degrees, the low was in the negatives. That’s a high of 7 degrees below freezing (if you’re looking at the Celsius scale!) It’s that type of cold that makes it really really hard to get out of bed in the morning. That’s because even though our house has amazing insulation it is still freezing when we come downstairs – since we keep the heat on upstairs but turn it off downstairs when we go to bed.
I literally spent about 90 minutes sitting directly in front of our fireplace with the kids this morning before I started getting ready for the day.
I could probably write this entire post about how much I hate the cold.
I know, I know, I have chosen to live here. And I love living here, I do. And I actually don’t mind the winter when it’s like 30-40 degrees. But gees, weather. C’mon.
ANYWAY — this stew made me feel a lot better about the wintery weather outside.
It’s a warm, spicy, sweet potato curry that is packed with detoxifying nutrients (perfect post-holidays). It is one of those “dump meals” – where you can just throw everything into one pot and let the deliciousness happen.
It doesn’t even require a ton of spices to build flavor. Garlic, ginger, salt, and curry powder do the trick. But you have to get the right curry powder – and by that I mean the best curry powder I have found on the market today. It’s Simply Organic Curry Powder, and it is SO good. Just a couple tbsp of that one spice makes this dish taste like it’s been building flavors all day long. This curry powder has the perfect balance of warm spices, sweet spices and a little bit of heat – I love it!
I hope this recipe warms you and your family up on a cold day, like it did for us. My daughter loved this recipe and ate it for dinner for 3 days straight!
Sweet Potato Curry with Chickpeas
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz box of baby spinach or baby kale
- 2 15 oz cans of chickpeas
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers diced
- 2 sweet potatoes diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 5 celery sticks diced
- 7 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 heaping tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 30 oz crushed tomatoes 1 can
- 15 oz light coconut milk 1 can
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion, carrots, celery and bell peppers. Sauté for 8 minutes, stirring often until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, corn, spinach/baby kale, and curry powder. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.