Superfood Salad with Healthy “Ranch” DressingThis post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
It has been a HOT summer so far, and being 36 weeks pregnant has just made the weather feel even hotter!! It might be a combination of not wanting to spend a ton of time cooking near a hot stove, or wanting to find more cooling meals, but I have been making a lot of salads lately.
Salads are kind of the perfect summer staple. The produce is so great this season, with tons of fresh fruits and veggies to choose from, so why not throw them all in a bowl together with a nice tangy dressing and gobble it up? It tastes great, is totally guilt-free, and can be kid friendly too!
My main tip for making salads kid friendly: a super flavorful dressing and veggies that are cut up small — so we do a lot of “chopped salads” in our house.
This particular salad was a big hit: fresh broccoli florets, bright blueberries, crisp Fuji apples, sweet red onion, shredded red cabbage, baby spinach and baby kale (for the base – I used Taylor Farms’ mix), and a tiny bit of dried cherries and pine nuts sprinkled on top for some texture and even more flavor.
I topped it off with a healthier version of “ranch” dressing, made from Stonyfield Organic Greek Yogurt and buttermilk. We ate this as a light dinner paired with some crusty bread spread with herbed goat cheese – it was delicious!
Superfood Salad with Healthy “Ranch” Dressing
- 1 cup Broccoli florets chopped
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1 large Fuji Apple diced
- 1 cup chopped Red Cabbage
- 2-3 cups Baby Spinach/Baby Kale Blend I used Taylor Farms
- 1/8 cup dried cherries unsweetened
- 4 tbsp Pine Nuts
- 3/4 cup Plain Greek Yogurt I used Stonyfield
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 scallions minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- Toss all of the salad ingredients (broccoli through pine nuts) in a bowl.
- For the dressing: In a small jar with a tight fitting lid, combine buttermilk and greek yogurt. Using a small whisk, beat until fully incorporated. Add rest of the ingredients (scallions through paprika). Place lid on jar and shake until all seasonings are mixed in.
- Toss 1/2 the dressing with the salad, and right before serving, drizzle some (or the rest) of the dressing on top. Taste and add more salt & pepper if needed.