Gourmet Black Bean TacosThis post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
My husband and I love Mexican food. A while back, we were at this restaurant where the tacos came out open-faced and with a bunch of gourmet toppings on top (cabbage slaw, cojita cheese, etc.). I decided to make my own version at home with a few traditional ingredients and one or two fun toppings to give it some extra flavor and a gourmet feel. I served them open faced and they looked beautiful!
These tacos are also especially healthy because I used soft corn tortillas (for extra fiber and none of the fat of crispy tacos), black beans (fiber + protein), tons of veggies – tomatoes, corn, red onions, avocado (antioxidants), and fresh shredded sharp cheddar (more protein).
The ingredient list was relatively simple: Soft corn tortillas, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (I used about 2-3 Tbsp per taco), 1 15oz can black beans, 1 15oz can of diced & fire roasted tomatoes, 3-4 cloves garlic, 1/2-3/4 cup frozen corn (not pictured), 1 avocado mashed with some lime juice (basically guacamole), 1 red onion diced, chopped cilantro (to taste)
Step 1: Warm corn tortillas in the oven or microwave and chop all your veggies/toppings
Step 2: Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add 1-2 tsp olive oil and saute the onion, garlic, tomatoes, corn and black beans until heated through.
Step 3: Assemble your tacos! Start with your tortilla, add the bean mixture, top with mashed avocado/guac, cheese, diced onions and cilantro.
My husband loved these and they were such a quick and easy meal to make – perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Gourmet Black Bean Tacos
- 8 Soft corn tortillas
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese I used about 2-3 Tbsp per taco
- 15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained 1 can
- 15 oz diced & fire roasted tomatoes 1 can
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/2-3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1 avocado mashed with some lime juice basically guacamole
- 1 red onion diced
- chopped cilantro to taste
- Warm corn tortillas in the oven or microwave and chop all your veggies/toppings
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add 1-2 tsp olive oil and saute the onion, garlic, tomatoes, corn and black beans until heated through.
- Assemble your tacos! Start with your tortilla, add the bean mixture, top with mashed avocado/guac, cheese, diced onions and cilantro.