Cookie Monster CookiesThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with our Cookie Monster cookies – soft, chewy, and packed with delightful surprises. Whether you’re hosting birthday parties or just making a sweet treat for your family, these bright blue color cookies are sure to be a hit! This blue monster cookie recipe will bring out the kid in everyone!
This Oreo Cookie Monster cookies recipe is not only delicious but also captures the essence of the beloved Sesame Street character, Cookie Monster!
Whether you’re a fan of Sesame Street or simply love cookies, this blue monster cookies recipe is sure to bring joy to your taste buds. With its vibrant blue color, melty chocolate center, and delightful mix-ins, these Oreo monster cookies are great for any occasion!
We love making these vibrant blue cookies for parties, get togethers, and just about any time we are craving a fun sweet treat. These monster Oreo cookies are easy to make, delicious, and can be adapted for various dietary needs (see our notes below for making them lower in sugar, vegan, and gluten free too!)
Get ready to dive into a world of cookie heaven with our easy and irresistible blue Cookie Monster cookies recipe!
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Quick and Easy: Ready in just 10-12 minutes, perfect for a quick baking session.
- Bright Color: Vibrant blue color from liquid food coloring makes these Sesame Street cookies visually appealing and fun for parties.
- Perfect Results: Easy recipe with simple ingredients and step-by-step instructions.
- Make Your Own: Versatile variations allow for customization to suit different preferences.
- Special Treat: Loved by cookie lovers everywhere, making them so much fun for all occasions.
Latest Recipe Video!
To create this recipe for Cookie Monster cookies, you will need the following simple ingredients:
- Regular Flour: All-purpose flour adds structure and texture to our cookies, giving them the perfect balance of softness and chewiness.
- Cornstarch: This secret ingredient creates a tender and melt-in-your-mouth texture and keeps the cookies super soft on the inside!
- Baking Powder: This is critical to helping the cookies rise!
- Butter: Butter adds richness, moisture, and indulgence to the cookies, making them tender and full of flavor. You can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Sugar (White and Brown), Vanilla Extract, & Salt: You can’t make cookies without sugar! White and brown sugar combine to create the perfect amount of moisture and texture for these cookies. Vanilla extract and a pinch of salt enhances the overall flavor, and balances the sweetness.
- Applesauce: Applesauce adds moisture while reducing the fat content, resulting in healthier yet incredibly delicious cookies.
- Blue Food Coloring: A few drops of blue food coloring transform the cookies into vibrant Cookie Monster creations, adding a fun and playful element.
- Chocolate Chips: We used a combination of white chocolate chips and regular chocolate chips, which melt during baking, creating pockets of indulgent goodness in every bite.
- Crushed Cookies & Chopped Mini Oreos: Crushed cookies & Mini Oreos add a delightful crunch and extra texture to the dough, giving a playful twist.
- Oreo Cookies: The pièce de résistance! Whole Oreo cookies are placed in the center of each cookie, creating a melty, chocolatey surprise that will make your taste buds dance with joy.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is recommended for these cookies, but feel free to explore different flours. Try whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour for a heartier cookie, but keep in mind that the texture of the cookie may change slightly.
- Oreo Cookies: While Oreo cookies bring a delightful surprise to these treats, don’t be afraid to switch it up with other chocolate sandwich cookies or even peanut butter-filled cookies for unique flavor combinations. Let your creativity shine!
- Chocolate Chips: Indulge in the combination of semi-sweet chocolate chips and mini chocolate chips. For flavor variations, try swapping in dark or milk chocolate chips. Save some chips for a delightful, melty topping!
It’s time to bring these irresistible blue monster cookies to life! Follow my simple instructions to whip up these delightful treats that will leave everyone craving for more. Get ready to bake up a batch of pure cookie magic!
Mix Dry Ingredients: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, cornstarch, and baking powder until well combined.
Beat Butter and Sugar: In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the softened butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. You can also use an electric mixer and a large bowl.
Add Blue Color: Add the applesauce, vanilla extract, and 3-4 drops of blue food coloring to the butter mixture. Beat until smooth.
Add Dry Ingredients: Gradually fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients with the paddle attachment on low speed until a dough forms.
Add Mix-Ins: Stir in the white chocolate chips, chocolate chips, crushed cookies, and chopped mini Oreos.
Shape Dough: Scoop out equal portions of 2 tablespoons of blue dough and press it flat into the palm of your hand. Place an Oreo cookie in the center of the dough and cover it with more cookie dough. Shape into a ball and place it on the prepared baking sheet.
Form Cookies: Repeat the process with the remaining dough and Oreo cookies.
Bake: Press some chocolate chip cookie pieces and any remaining white chocolate chips into the top of the cookie dough balls. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool Cookies: Allow the bright Cookie Monster Oreo cookies to cool on a wire cooling rack before serving.
💭 Expert Tips
- Softened Butter: Soften the butter to room temperature for easier mixing and better texture.
- Gel Food Coloring: Use gel food coloring for vibrant and consistent blue color. To avoid artificial colors, you can also use natural food coloring – but it may have a slightly different brightness than artificial food coloring.
- Chop Small: Chop the cookies and mini Oreos to a similar size as the chocolate chips for even distribution throughout the dough.
- Chewy Cookies: For a chewier cookie monster cookie recipe, reduce the bake time by a minute or two. This results in soft, tender cookies with just the right amount of chewiness. Keep a close eye on the bake time for that perfect consistency.
- Melted Chocolate Center: For a gooey soft center, swap out the Oreo cookies with 2 large chocolate discs before baking.
- Candy Monster Cookies: Mix in ¼ cup of colorful candy-coated chocolates or sprinkles to the dough for a festive touch.
- Different Extracts: For a slightly different flavor, replace the vanilla extract with mint or almond extract. Remember, a little goes a long way, so use it sparingly!
- Double Chocolate Monster Cookies: Add cocoa powder to the dough and replace the white chocolate chips with additional mixed chocolate chips for an extra chocolatey experience.
- Peanut Butter Monster Cookies: Add ¼ cup of creamy peanut butter to the dough and use peanut butter chips instead of white chocolate chips.
- Cookie Monster Stuffed Cookies: Replace the Oreos in the center with your favorite cookies, such as Chips Ahoy cookies or other flavor sandwich cookies.
🙌 Dietary Adaptations
- Gluten Free: Substitute the all-purpose flour, chocolate chips, crushed cookies and Oreos with gluten free options for a gluten free cookie.
- Vegan: Use vegan butter and vegan chocolate chips! Oreos are technically vegan, but you can also buy vegan certified chocolate sandwich cookies and use those instead!
- Low Sugar / Sugar Free: Light brown sugar and white sugar work together to provide the perfect sweetness. You can also experiment with sugar substitutes like coconut sugar for a lower glycemic option, or you can cut the amount of sugar by 1/3 for a lower sugar option. To make these cookies sugar free, you can substitute the sugar for stevia or monk fruit.
👨👩👧 Serving Suggestions
- Coffee Or Hot Drinks: A cup of freshly brewed coffee or a creamy latte makes for a perfect companion for these easy Cookie Monster cookies. Try my Biscoff latte recipe, golden latte, or my creamy mocha latte. They are all great companions for this easy cookie recipe. Not a fan of coffee drinks? No problem! Enjoy your cookie with my oat milk hot chocolate for a decadent treat.
- Milk: Chocolate cake and a glass of cold milk is a perfect pairing. You can use dairy milk or dairy free alternatives like almond or oat milk.
At Room Temperature: Store the baked Cookie Monster Cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. To reheat and enjoy warm cookies, place them in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F / 180 C for a few minutes until they are slightly warmed.
To Freeze: You can freeze the baked cookies in an airtight container or a freezer bag for up to 2 months. Thaw them at room temperature before enjoying them.
Cookie Monster cookies are a playful and whimsical treat inspired by the beloved Sesame Street character. These thick cookies are typically vibrant blue in color and often feature Oreo cookies or other chocolate sandwich cookies at the center, giving them a fun surprise.
Absolutely! While the blue color adds to the Cookie Monster theme, you can omit the food coloring for regular cookies with the same delicious taste.
- Powdered Peanut Butter Cookies
- Domino’s Marbled Cookie Brownie
- Mochi Cookies
- Dried Fruit Cookies
- Lemon Biscuits
- Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Halloween Monster Cookies
- Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Lemon Blueberry Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar
Love this plant based dessert recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Cookie Monster Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 180 C.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, cornstarch and baking powder until well combined.
- Add the softened butter and both sugars to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy.
- Combine the apple sauce, vanilla extract and 3-4 drops of blue food coloring. Beat until smooth.
- Fold in the flour mixture to form a dough.
- Next, add the choc chips, chopped cookies and chopped mini oreo cookies to the dough and stir though.
- Scoop out 2 tbsps of dough and press it flat into the palm of your hand.
- Place an oreo cookie into the center of the dough and cover with more cookie dough.
- Shape into a ball and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on a cooling rack before serving.
- To make these vegan-friendly cookies, substitute the butter and chocolate chips with vegan-friendly options.
- Substitute the all-purpose flour, chocolate chips, crushed cookies and Oreos with gluten free options for a gluten free cookie.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Adjust the amount of food coloring to obtain the brightness in color.
- Chop the cookies and Oreos the same size as the choc chips.
- Cookies can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- Swap out the Oreo cookies in the center of each cookie with 2 large chocolate discs to create a melty chocolate center.