You know what’s even better than spinach artichoke dip? Smoky Onion and Kale dip!
With lots of summer cookouts coming up, I wanted to create a lightened-up dip that I could bring to parties that everyone (even meat eaters) could enjoy. The smokiness of this dip evokes a meaty, hearty taste, and the kale brings a great texture that you can’t get with spinach dip.
The unexpected ingredient in this recipe is Organic Chipotle Mayo, and honestly I’m not usually a fan of Mayo. But when the folks at Hellman’s asked me to try their new line of Organic Mayo – I was surprised as to how natural the ingredients were. This mayo gives the dip a spicy kick, the perfect complement to the kale and onions.
It’s super simple and easy to make, and can be served with crusty bread, whole grain crackers, or baked tortilla chips.
It’s perfect for a family gathering or any summer party!
Smokey Onion and Kale Dip
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet Vidalia onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 package 10 oz. bag of baby kale, chopped
- 1 package 8 oz. lowfat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Organic Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese divided
- Spray large nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften and brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in cream cheese, Chipotle Mayonnaise, 4 tbsp Asiago/Parmesan cheese and cook over low heat, stirring, until well blended.
- Spray 1-quart baking dish with olive oil cooking spray, then spoon onion and kale mixture into dish. Sprinkle with remaining Asiago/Parmesan.
- Broil dip until cheese browns and mixture is bubbling, about 3 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with cut up vegetables, sliced whole grain baguette and/or whole grain tortilla chips.