Instant Pot Tomato Soup Recipe (Keto, Low Calorie)This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
This Keto Instant Pot Tomato Soup is creamy and delicious with the perfect amount of subtle spice. It’s also low calorie with less than 75 calories per serving. A healthy, hearty and easy to make classic recipe, perfect for any time of year!
With the cold winter months upon us, warm fireplaces, fuzzy socks, hot soup, and healthy instant pot recipes (electric pressure cooker recipes) become my go-to’s. I make soup every week during this season for a few reasons. It’s super easy, has minimal clean-up, and it’s a great way to get a ton of veggies into one comfort food meal.
This easy, creamy instant pot tomato soup has been a staple in our house for the past few weeks. The first time I made this for my family they were totally wowed! Smoked paprika and cumin round out the sweetness of the tomatoes, and a touch of milk is substituted for traditional cream. This really is the best tomato soup we’ve ever had! Garnish with fresh basil for the perfect herbal note!
Latest Recipe Video!
👩🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- No heavy cream!
- Vegetarian (no chicken broth)
- Creamy tomato soup recipe for winter and fall!
- Pairs perfectly with grilled cheese sandwiches!
- Quick recipe!
- A warm and comforting soup
- Way more flavorful soup than canned tomato soup!
- Uses pantry staples
This hearty soup calls for just a handful of ingredients easily found at your local grocery store! For exact amounts and nutritional information, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Olive Oil: This easy recipe is kept low calorie and keto with the addition of just a little olive oil use to sauté the onions.
Red Onion & Spices: A combination of a few cloves of garlic, ground cumin, salt, and paprika give this soup a depth of flavor and balance the sweetness of the tomatoes. For some extra heat, try a pinch of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes. If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can also use garlic powder.
Diced Tomatoes: Use unsalted, and unseasoned organic canned diced tomatoes. You could also use fresh tomatoes if they are in season. For the best flavor, I like using San Marzano Tomatoes. You will need a total of 28 ounces.
Vegetable Stock: Look for a stock that is low-sodium. If you are not vegetarian, you can use a low-sodium chicken stock as a replacement.
Whole Milk: Keto friendly, whole milk provides just enough richness and creaminess but still keeps it low calorie.
Make it Vegan: It is super easy to make this instant pot tomato soup vegan friendly. Instead of using whole milk, simply substitute with coconut milk or coconut cream. You can use light or full fat, but I recommend using the full fat since the recipe only calls for a 1/4 cup. You can also top it with vegan parmesan cheese!
Keto Tomato Soup: This is already a low carb tomato soup recipe, with under 7g net carbs per serving. But for an even lower carb version, use heavy whipping cream or cream cheese instead of whole milk.
Thicken the Soup: For a bit of a thicker soup, add a tablespoon of tomato paste. This will also give it a deeper tomato flavor.
Whole Tomatoes: If you are making this recipe in the summer, you may want to opt for fresh whole tomatoes rather than a can of diced tomatoes. Summer is the perfect time to enjoy fresh tomatoes (roma tomatoes are my favorite), and it really gives this recipe a new depth of flavor! You can even use roasted tomatoes for extra flavor!
Slow Cooker: You can also make this a slow cooker recipe. Simply add all of the ingredients with the exception of the milk, and slow cook on low for 4 hours. Use the immersion blender to make it smooth and creamy, then stir in the milk.
Make On The Stove Top: Follow the directions for sautéing the vegetables in a large dutch oven. When you add the tomatoes, and stock, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Then add the milk, and blend.
Instant Pot Tomato Soup With Chickpeas: For added protein, add 1.5 cups of canned chickpeas into the soup at the same time you add the tomatoes. The chickpeas will cook down and blend into the soup, but you’ll get a heartier low sugar tomato soup as a result!
Tomato Feta Soup: For more creaminess, top this low carb soup with crumbles of feta cheese or goat cheese!
Saute Onions, Add Spices: Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté function over medium heat. Heat oil, then add 1.5 cups chopped red onion, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 3/8 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp hot smoked paprika. Sauté for 8 minutes, stirring.
Deglaze: Add 4 minced garlic cloves, sauté an additional minute. Deglaze any onion from the pot by adding the vegetable broth and scraping the sides with a spatula.
Add Rest Of The Ingredients: Add 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained, and 1/2 cup vegetable stock (add more if you want a thinner soup). Set on the HIGH pressure cook setting for 15 minutes. Natural release the pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure, and then press cancel.
Puree Mixture: Stir in 1/4 cup whole milk. Use an immersion blender to blend soup to the consistency you like. Or transfer to a food processor or regular blender to create a creamy texture.
Optional: Top with fresh herbs like fresh parsley or basil, crunchy croutons, shaved parmesan cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and black pepper.
❓ Recipe FAQs
A light and creamy tomato soup – has to be one of the most kid friendly soups around! It has a lovely smooth consistency, with a robust creaminess from the whole milk. You can dial back the garlic and paprika if you want it milder. But really it’s such a lovely smooth flavor I doubt you’ll want to change much at all!
I love Organic, Non-GMO canned tomatoes (in BPA free cans) because they’re quick, convenient, and actually have more antioxidants than fresh tomatoes! They work perfectly in this soup, make the soup taste super rich, and cut the prep time down considerably.
Yes! This delicious keto tomato soup recipe is a great healthy option for a few reasons:
High in Vitamins and Minerals: Tomatoes are a good source of several vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, such as vitamin C, potassium, vitamin K, folate, and lycopene, which research suggests may help prevent heart disease.
Low in Fat and Calories: This soup clocks in at under 75 calories, with only 0.4g of saturated fat!
Yes! Tomatoes have under 3g net carbs per 1/2 cup (they come in at 2.4 g of net carbs per ½ cup), which makes them a great low carb option if you’re on a ketogenic diet!
This homemade tomato soup is a healthy low calorie and low fat soup that is full of vitamins and nutrients. If weight loss is your goal, tomato soup is an excellent meal to add to your dinner rotation.
If you would like to freeze this soup leave the milk out of the recipe, and then add it in when you’re ready to defrost and serve. Soups that contain milk don’t freeze well because the milk or cream separates when it defrosts and is reheated.
👪 How To Serve
With Grilled Cheese: Grilled cheese and a simple soup is really the perfect meal. A crispy grilled cheese sandwich on sprouted wheat bread is perfect for dunking into this creamy soup, or you can have some toasted whole wheat pita strips. If you’re on a keto diet, use keto bread to make a grilled cheese!
With A Few Easy Side Dishes: You can also serve this cozy meal with some asparagus sautéed with lemon and pecorino. A peppery side salad with arugula or a hearty kale salad would make a nice addition. You can also try serving this low carb recipe with keto friendly air fryer jicama fries or mozzarella sticks!
💭 Expert Tips
- Use the best quality tomatoes available for this instant pot tomato basil soup.
- Use more vegetable stock, if you want a thinner consistency.
- If you’re making this soup in the winter, stick with canned tomatoes for best results. This is because canned tomatoes are canned while fresh, which gives them a sweet flavor year round (and the best flavor when using tomatoes in the winter!)
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
🍲 More Instant Pot Soup Recipes!
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Curry
- Instant Pot Dal
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Keto Instant Pot Tomato Soup (Low Calorie)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté function. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, add 1.5 cups chopped red onion, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 3/8 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp hot smoked paprika. Sauté for 8 minutes, stirring.
- Add 4 minced garlic cloves, sauté an additional minute. Deglaze onion from the pot by adding the vegetable broth and scraping the sides with a spatula.
- Add 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained, and 1/2 cup vegetable stock (add more if you want a thinner soup). Set to HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup whole milk. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to the consistency you like.
- Optional: Top with fresh parsley, shaved parmesan cheese, and black pepper.
- Use the best quality tomatoes available
- Use more vegetable stock, if you want a thinner consistency.
- To make it vegan, substitute the whole milk for your favorite non-dairy milk, or leave it out, and add a bit more vegetable stock.
- Stick with canned tomatoes. Especially if you’re making this soup in the winter. Canned tomatoes have a consistent flavor. They’re canned while fresh, which gives them a sweet flavor year round.
- Top with fresh parsley, black pepper, and Parmesan.