Carrot Potato SoupThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Easy carrot potato soup is comforting, filling, and full of rich flavor. This plant-based soup is loaded with fresh vegetables and fragrant Italian seasoning for a delicious and healthy appetizer, side dish, or light meal. Ready in under 45 minutes, you can cozy up with a bowl of this hearty soup in no time!
As soon as fall weather hits, I’m ready for a big bowl of delicious soup! It is the ultimate comfort food for those rainy, cold days, or whenever you feel like your body needs a little extra nourishment. This potato and carrot soup recipe is one of my absolute favorite soups with its creamy texture and wholesome ingredients. It has the perfect balance of nutrients and flavor to encourage healthy eating that is far from boring.
If you’ve been looking for healthy recipes to enjoy this fall and winter, it doesn’t get much better than this potato soup with celery and carrots! It is versatile enough so you can add in all your favorite ingredients, yet absolutely perfect just as it is too. With minimal prep required, this can be added to your list of favorite recipes that the whole family will enjoy.
👩🏽🍳 Why You’ll Love This Carrot Potato Soup
- Easy Meal Prep: Make this potato carrot soup recipe in big batches for a simple meal prep that you can have on hand for the next day or so!
- Filling: This creamy soup has potatoes, carrots, and celery to keep you satiated for hours, especially when paired with other tasty side dish recipes.
- Family Friendly: With a creamy, thick texture and kid-friendly vegetables like carrots and potatoes, this is the best soup for the entire family.
- Low In Calories: This is a great soup for a low calorie diet since it uses the pureed veggies to add creaminess instead of heavy cream.
- Versatile: Soup with carrots and potatoes is super customizable, since both work great in so many cuisines. For this easy soup, we go with more of an Italian recipe, but feel free to play around with spices. Add curry powder for a Thai recipe, or cumin for a Mexican recipe flair. Using purple sweet potatoes would draw inspiration from many popular Japanese recipes!
Latest Recipe Video!
This healthy carrot potato soup is pretty self-explanatory, with the main ingredients being carrots and potatoes! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for nutritional information.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is a healthy choice for sauteeing the vegetables.
- Onion & Garlic: Red onions and minced garlic cloves will not only add so much flavor to this soup, but also create a lovely aroma.
- Italian Herbs, Salt & Black Pepper: Use an Italian seasoning blend or fresh herbs to infuse the potato carrot celery soup with notes of basil, sage, thyme, oregano, and rosemary. Salt & pepper are critical to elevating the other flavors in this dish – don’t leave them out and be sure to adjust them to taste!
- Carrots & Potatoes: Russet potatoes and carrots add a soft bite to this soup, while also making for a creamy texture to the portion that is blended.
- Celery Stalks: Celery adds extra nutrients and a subtle crunch to the soup!
- Vegetable Broth: Vegetable broth or vegetable stock will add more flavor to this soup versus plain water.
- Bay Leaf: Infuse the broth with bay leaves for a boost in taste. You will remove the leaves before eating the soup!
🍲 Ingredient Substitutions
- Oil: Swap the olive oil for avocado oil or coconut oil, if you prefer.
- Onions: You can use any onion of your choice. White onions, yellow onions, and even green onions will work in this soup.
- Potatoes: Try this carrot soup with other potatoes such as sweet potatoes, red potatoes, or golden potatoes.
- Broth: If you do not need this to be vegan carrot potato soup, you can use chicken broth.
🔪 How To Make Carrot Potato Soup
Making a carrot celery onion potato recipe is super easy! We will show you how to make this soup on the stove top, but you can always modify it and try out other ways to cook it – like with an Instant Pot or crock pot. Here are the full instructions on how to make this potato soup recipe with carrots:
Saute Onion & Veggies: Heat the oil in a large pot and add the diced onions. Saute onions until soft over medium heat. Next add the garlic, Italian herbs, carrots, diced potatoes and celery. Continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add Broth: Pour the vegetable broth and add the bay leaves to the soup pot.
Boil, Then Simmer: Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to low heat and simmer until all vegetables are very soft; approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and discard the bay leaves.
Puree Half The Soup: Transfer ½ of the soup to a food processor and puree soup until smooth.
Add Seasonings & Pureed Soup: Pour the pureéd soup back into the pot. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, stirring to combine.
Simmer, Then Serve: Heat the soup over a low heat and gently bring to a simmer. Stir to prevent the soup from burning. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve this potatoes and carrot soup warm!
💭 Expert Tips
- Adjust Thickness: This recipe creates a thicker soup. You can adjust the thickness by pureeing more or less of the whole soup. Do not blend the soup if you prefer a chunkier texture.
- Make It Extra Creamy: For a creamier version add ½ cup of heavy cream or half and half. To keep this a vegan potato soup, use canned coconut cream or nut milk.
- Food Processor Alternatives: Use an immersion blender (stick blender) or high speed blender to puree the soup if you do not have a food processor. A potato masher can also work, although it won’t be as efficient.
- Brothy Potato Soup: For a broth based potato soup that is less creamy, skip the puree step in the recipe. Leave all the veggies whole and enjoy as a hearty vegetable soup.
- Carrot Ginger Soup: Ginger goes perfect with the taste of carrots! Add in some freshly grated or minced ginger to this recipe for an extra kick of flavor. You can also add in a dash of lemon juice to cut down the spice of the ginger.
- Carrot Leek Potato Soup: Swap the red onions for leeks to make this a hearty leek soup with loads of flavor.
- Add Protein: To give this soup a protein boost, add one 15 ounce can of cannelini beans (or any white beans) into the food processor when you blend the soup. You won’t be able to taste the beans at all but it will add a healthy amount of protein to this recipe! Make sure to adjust / increase the seasonings to taste once you add in the beans as well.
- Make It Spicy: Add some spice to this potato and carrot soup with cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Enjoy this potato carrot onion soup as your first course of a fall dinner, or any time that you are craving something warm and comforting! It goes great with a side of crusty bread or buckwheat sourdough bread and a fresh seasonal salad like this roasted pumpkin salad. We love serving this soup with a variety of toppings including:
- Fresh grated parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan
- A drizzle of heavy cream or coconut milk (great if you love rich soups)
- A dollop of yogurt or sour cream
- Croutons, crackers, or crunchy chickpeas
- A sprinkle of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or pecan pieces
- A garnish of fresh herbs like fresh parsley, cilantro, chives, or rosemary
Any way that you serve this soup with potato and carrot will turn out absolutely amazing and delicious!
🙌 Dietary Adaptations
This carrot and potato soup recipe is gluten free, dairy free, and vegan to meet many dietary needs. If you follow a medically restrictive diet, you can swap any of the ingredients needed and still get a tasty soup. For a low FODMAP option, leave out the garlic and onion. You can use a garlic infused oil instead, or throw in some chives!
If you happen to not eat the whole thing in one sitting, you can easily store this soup to enjoy later. Here is how to store and keep carrot and potato soup:
- To Store In The Fridge: Store leftover potato carrot celery onion soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To Freeze: This carrot potato soup recipe is freezer friendly. Store it in the freezer for up to one month.
- To Reheat: When ready to reheat, simply place in a pot on the stove top with a small amount of water. Stir occasionally to help the frozen soup break apart.
Yes! This soup is very healthy and full of nutrients. Soup with potatoes and carrots is an easy way to load up on essential vitamins and minerals. Carrots promote healthy vision and can regulate blood pressure, while potatoes can help with digestive health and heart health. This recipe provides vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, and so much more!
It depends on what type of soup you are making! If you are looking for a brothy soup with solid bites of potato, opt for a waxy potato like yukon gold. If you are looking for a creamy soup, starchy potatoes like russet potatoes work great.
In this creamy carrot potato soup recipe we use russet potatoes since we will be blending half of the soup for a thicker consistency. The starch allows for the perfect thickness. With the other half of the soup not being blended, you will get a nice, soft potato piece that almost melts in your mouth!
This again depends on what type of soup you are looking to make. For a brothy soup, I suggest soaking them first to remove excess starch. For this potato soup with carrots recipe there is no need to soak the potatoes first! Skip that step and save time for an easy, quick meal.
If you follow this recipe, you should end up with a flavorful potato celery carrot soup! If your soup lacks flavor, you can add more salt and pepper, along with any spices and seasonings that you prefer. Also, be sure to saute the veggies for long enough to draw out their naturally delicious flavors.
🥣 More Healthy Soup Recipes!
- Mushroom Soup Without Cream
- Butternut Squash Bisque
- Vegan Black Bean Chili
- Italian Chickpea Soup
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Garbanzo Bean Soup
- Spaghetti Squash Soup
- Sweet Potato And Carrot Soup
- Curried Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegetarian Taco Soup
- 41 Vegan Soup Recipes
Love this plant based soup recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Carrot Potato Soup
- Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the diced red onion until soft.
- Next add the garlic, Italian herbs, carrots, diced potatoes and celery.
- Continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and add the bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until all vegetables are very soft; approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and discard the bay leaves.
- Transfer ½ of the soup to a food processor and pureé until smooth.
- Pour the pureéd soup back into the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Heat the soup over a low heat and gently bring to a simmer; stirring to prevent the soup from burning. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.
- Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Chicken broth can be used instead of vegetable broth if preferred.
- For a creamier version add ½ cup of heavy cream, half and half, canned coconut cream mor nut milk.
- Adding nut milk to the soup will make the soup slightly little thinner.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Do not blend the soup if you prefer a chunkier texture.