Healthy Homemade Pizza (Vegetarian, Kid Friendly)
This healthy homemade pizza is loaded with veggies, made with a whole grain crust, and topped with gooey mozzarella and fresh parmesan. Ready in 30 minutes and guaranteed to please even the pickiest eaters!
Servings: 8 slices
- 1 bag Fresh Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Like from Trader Joe's
- 1 10oz container Pizza Sauce
- 1-2 yellow, orange or red bell peppers diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves chopped
- 1 tomato cut into thin slices
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Lightly spray a pizza pan with cooking spray - use as the base to spread out the dough. One tip for spreading out the dough - don't try to use a rolling pin if you're using the Trader Joes dough! Use your hands (sprinkle flour on the dough and on your hands), knead it, and then spread it with the palms of your hands.
Once the dough is spread out, top with pizza sauce
Sprinkle garlic, red pepper, onion and tomato slices over the sauce
Top with grated Parmesan and spinach leaves
Bake in the oven for 10-12 min until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling/slightly golden
Top Tips for Making this Homemade Healthy Pizza
- If you're making this recipe for a crowd, you can easily double the dough/sauce and toppings and make two pizzas!
- For alternate crusts - try a flatbread, whole wheat naan bread, whole wheat pita bread, or cauliflower crust for a gluten free option.
- This pizza freezes really well - to freeze, wrap each slice in foil and store in an airtight container in the freezer. To reheat: pop it into the oven or toaster oven for a few minutes at 400 degrees.
- For a perfect pizza, use a pizza stone or a pizza pan: it helps to cook the crust evenly and makes it crispy and chewy.
- If you choose to top your pizza with fresh herbs, make sure to garnish after you have baked the pizza in the oven!
- Feel free to switch up the toppings with whatever you have on hand.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 30.4g | Protein: 8.1g | Fat: 4.4g | Saturated Fat: 1.8g | Sodium: 820.7mg | Fiber: 3.3g | Sugar: 0.7g