Veggie Shawarma with Marinated Tofu
This veggie shawarma is stuffed with crispy savory tofu, chopped greens quick pickled onions and a super creamy yogurt sauce. Everything is tightly tucked into a soft and pliable naan bread warmed to perfection.
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 whole wheat naan bread, or sprouted wheat tortilla
- 1 cup chopped greens like baby spinach, kale, etc.
In a bowl combine tofu with olive oil, lemon juice, curry, paprika, garlic powder, coriander, oregano, ginger and salt and pepper. Marinate for 10 minutes.
While tofu is marinating, thinly slice onion. Submerge onion in 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.
Make the yogurt sauce. Combine yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, garlic powder and salt. Whisk together to combine.
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the marinated tofu and juices and cook for 10 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Remove from heat.
Massage greens with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Spread yogurt sauce over the naan/tortilla. Add crispy tofu and top with the greens and quick pickled onions. Roll into a wrap and serve!
Top Tips for Making the Best Veggie Shawarma
Note: Nutritional information is based on using a 10 inch sprouted wheat tortilla. If you use a whole wheat naan, some of the nutrition facts stay the same. Here is what changes: Calories: 528, Fat: 28.9, Carbs: 48.3, Fiber: 6.9g, Sugar: 5.8g, Protein: 20.3g
- Marinate the tofu for a minimum of 10 minutes. The longer you're able to marinate the tofu, the more flavorful it will be!
- Use extra firm tofu, and press the tofu prior to marinating. This helps eliminate the access water in the tofu and produces a firmer texture.
- Prepare on medium high heat. Allow tofu to get crispy.
- If you don't have whole wheat naan bread you can also use whole wheat pita bread. For the most amount of fiber and complex carbs, use a sprouted wheat tortilla.
- If you don't like onions, add any additional veggies you like, or make your own variety of pickled vegetables. Pickled carrots would pair well with this sandwich.
- Warm the bread in the oven prior to serving to help make the bread more pliable.
- To make this gluten free, just use a gluten-free tortilla.
Calories: 438kcal | Carbohydrates: 37.3g | Protein: 18.3g | Fat: 25.4g | Saturated Fat: 3.6g | Cholesterol: 8.8mg | Sodium: 1079mg | Potassium: 31.2mg | Fiber: 7.9g | Sugar: 1.8g