BBQ Flatbread (Black Bean Pizza)
This healthy, flavorful BBQ Flatbread pizza with corn, black beans and red peppers is easy to make at home and is low in calories. Loaded with fresh veggies, this black bean pizza recipe is a fun twist on traditional pizza and keeps in the fridge for up to 4 days!
Servings: 8 slices
- 1 package Whole wheat pizza dough I like Trader Joe's fresh pizza dough!
- 4-5 Tbsp Barbecue sauce Try to get one with the least amount of sugar!
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 15 oz can black beans
- 8 oz can corn
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread out the dough on a pizza pan, spread the barbecue sauce on top
Heat a large pan over medium heat, add 1 tsp olive oil, black beans, diced red onion and chili powder - cook until heated through and onions begin to caramelize (5-10 min)
Spread black bean mixture over barbecue sauce
Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Then sprinkle diced red pepper and corn on top of the cheese.
Bake in oven for 10-15 min (depending on pizza dough and heating instructions)
Remove from oven, drizzle 1 Tbsp barbecue sauce over the pizza. Serve and enjoy!
Top tips for making Barbecue Black Bean, Red Pepper, and Corn Pizza
Adapted from EatingWell.com
- Be sure to pre-heat your oven before cooking the pizza.
- Use a whole wheat pizza dough for extra goodness. For store-bought refrigerated dough, let it sit it at room temperature for two hours prior to baking.
- Use a barbecue sauce that is low in sugar.
- If planning to freeze this pizza for future use before baking, place a piece of parchment on a metal pizza pan or heavy-duty piece of cardboard, assemble your pizza on the cardboard (or pan) and freeze altogether.
- To make vegan, just substitute the mozzarella with a vegan cheese. You could also omit the cheese completely and it'll still taste great!
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 547mg | Potassium: 299mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g