Southwestern Tofu Scramble
This incredible Tofu Scramble is loaded with lots of healthy veggies, beans, warm spices, and cheese. It's the perfect 30-minute breakfast, brunch or dinner idea that the whole family will love. If you're looking for a vegan friendly alternative to scrambled eggs, this easy tofu scramble is for you!
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 14 ounce package extra firm tofu pressed, and cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 2 yellow bell peppers diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 box of baby spinach shredded
- 15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained 1 can
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt more or less to taste
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 4 green onions sliced (use for topping)
- 2 tomatoes diced (use for topping)
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mexican cheese blend optional, use a vegan cheese to keep this vegan friendly (use 2 tbsp per serving, as a topping)
- 1/2 cup Prepared salsa use 2 tbsp per serving, as a topping
Press your tofu for at least 5 minutes to get the water out, then cut it into 1 inch cubes. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add onions, peppers and tofu, and cook - stirring until the tofu begins to brown. Add corn and all of the spices. Cook 5-10 minutes.
Add the black beans, spinach and salt. Stir to combine. Cook an additional 5-10 minutes until all of the ingredients are combined and the spinach is wilted.
Top with green onions, tomatoes, cheese and salsa: serve in a wrap, as soft tacos, as a topping for nachos, or enjoy on its own!
How To Serve This Recipe
There are all kinds of ways to serve this easy tofu scramble! Some of our favorites include:
Top Tips For Making The Best Tofu Scramble
- Over toast with chopped cilantro or parsley on top
- As a topping for nachos
- As a filling for tacos
- As a "burrito bowl" topped with your favorite Tex Mex toppings
- As a side dish for pancakes or french toast
- As a filling for a breakfast burrito or wrap!
- In order for the tofu to cook to the right texture, I recommend pressing it for about 5 minutes. This will allow it to crisp up nicely and not be too watery.
- Dice all the veggies, so they are on the small size. Make sure they are uniform sized, so they cook evenly. Feel free to change up the veggies with any you like!
- Make sure you use vegan shredded cheese or omit the cheese altogether if you want this recipe to be 100% vegan friendly.
- If you want your tofu to have an actual egg flavor, use kala namak (black salt) in this recipe. A little goes a long way - you can start with 1/8 tsp and work your way up from there based on how "eggy" you want the tofu to be. If you add black salt, adjust the amount of regular salt you use accordingly so that this tofu scramble isn't too salty!
- Top with your favorite Southwestern toppings!
Calories: 158.6kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.1g | Protein: 11.2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1.8g | Cholesterol: 6.3mg | Sodium: 294.8mg | Potassium: 404.1mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1.7g