Vegan Tacos with Black Beans and Avocado
These healthy and delicious vegan tacos are great for an easy weeknight meal. Packed with black beans, veggies, and spices, they're full of flavor, ready in 30 minutes, and perfect for the whole family!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 Soft corn tortillas
- 1 red onion diced
- 15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained 1 can
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 15 oz diced & fire roasted tomatoes 1 can
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt more to taste
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning more to taste
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1 avocado mashed with some lime juice basically guacamole
- chopped cilantro to taste
Warm corn tortillas in the oven or microwave and chop all your veggies/toppings
Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp olive oil and saute the onion, black beans, peppers, tomatoes, corn, garlic, salt and taco seasoning until heated through - about 10 minutes.
While the bean mixture is cooking, mash your avocado and add salt & lime juice to taste.
Assemble your tacos! Start with your tortilla, add the bean mixture, top with mashed avocado/guac and cilantro.
Top Tips for Making Vegan Tacos
Vegan Tacos Variations
- Use a soft tortilla rather than a crunchy shell for less calories and fat.
- Top with your favorite Mexican sides!
- If you don’t like a smoky flavor, switch out the fire roasted tomatoes with regular diced tomatoes. If you enjoy smoke and spice, feel free to add more of the tomatoes and peppers as well.
- If you are looking for another alternative to the tortillas, I recommend looking for chickpea tortillas or a whole grain tortilla. There are options out there!
- Add the bean mixture to the bottom of the taco to hold the other ingredients
- For more veggies, add in 6oz chopped baby spinach to the black bean mixture
- Make sure to adjust the salt and spices to taste. If you like your tacos super spicy, feel free to add some cayenne pepper to the black bean mixture!
- If you don't have cilantro (or don't like it), try shredded lettuce or fresh parsley instead
- Change up the veggies! Roasted cauliflower, carrots, squash, zucchini or sweet potatoes would all work well in these tacos.
- Try making some vegan taco "meat" by crumbling tofu and sautéing it with taco seasoning or chili powder
- Try using refried black or pinto beans instead of whole beans
- Add pico de gallo as one of your toppings in addition to salsa
- Add some more fresh ingredients like shredded romaine lettuce and other fresh herbs
- Try different salsas like: mango salsa, tomatillo salsa, pineapple salsa, or even a tahini sauce instead of salsa!
Serving: 2tacos | Calories: 357kcal | Carbohydrates: 56.1g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 11.3g | Saturated Fat: 1.7g | Sodium: 489mg | Potassium: 922mg | Fiber: 14.3g | Sugar: 6g