Pesto Without Pine Nuts: Whole Wheat Penne with Walnut Sage Pesto
This healthy pesto without pine nuts is the perfect pasta dish for a quick and easy weeknight meal. The walnut and sage pesto is packed full of earthy flavors and is lower in fat and calories than the store bought.
Servings: 8 people
- 1 10oz bag baby spinach
- 4 zucchini quartered and sliced
- 4 cups cooked whole wheat penne (about 3 cups uncooked)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2.5 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp fresh sage leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 8 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (1 tbsp per serving)
Cook penne according to package directions, cool and set aside.
Spray a pan with cooking spray, heat over medium heat. Add zucchini and 2 cloves minced garlic and stir fry lightly (for about 5 min max). Add spinach, garlic salt and oregano and cook through until spinach is wilted. Set aside.
Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, parsley, and next 5 ingredients (through 1 clove garlic) in a food processor; process until finely chopped, scraping sides.
With processor on, slowly pour broth through food chute, processing until well blended.
Combine penne and pesto in a pot on low heat until combined and heated through. Add pepper and mix well. Add in vegetables and serve warm, top with 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese per serving.
Top tips to make Whole Wheat Penne with Walnut Sage Pesto
- Cook the pasta al-dente (with bite).
- Use whole wheat pasta for added fiber.
- Use chickpea pasta for added protein and to make it a gluten free dish.
- Keep leftovers covered in the fridge and gently reheat. It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. This dish also freezes well.
- Add in any veggies you like! I used zucchini and baby spinach, but asparagus, other squashes, or even broccoli would work well in this dish.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 348mg | Potassium: 415mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g