Lebanese Lentil Soup
A rich and flavorful Lebanese Lentil Soup made with spinach and served with a dollop of cool yogurt and cilantro is hearty, healthy, and easy dish to pull together for a weeknight meal.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic about 4 cloves
- 1 Tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1.5 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper optional
- 3 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1.5 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 16 oz package steamed lentils I use the kind from Trader Joe's, or you can use 1.25 cups dry brown lentils
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt more to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro use about 1 tsp per serving
- 1/4 cup plain 2% greek yogurt use about 1 Tbsp per serving
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil to pan, add onion, sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, sauté 1 minute. Add curry powder and cayenne pepper, cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Add broth, vinegar and lentils. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes.
Turn off heat. Take an immersion blender and blend the lentil mixture. Once the soup is blended, bring it back to a low simmer.
Add in spinach, salt, and pepper to the pot, stir until spinach wilts, about 5 minutes.
Stir in 2 Tbsp cilantro. Serve with yogurt and remaining cilantro.
Top Tips for Making Lebanese Lentil Soup
Inspired by CookingLight
- Use pre-cooked lentils to reduce cooking time. If you don't have pre-cooked lentils, you can use 1.25 cups of dry brown lentils. If you use dry lentils, be sure to either cook them fully before adding them to the soup, or increase your cooking time to ensure the lentils are soft before immersion blending them!
- You can add any veggies to this soup that you have on hand. Carrots, celery, other leafy greens would all work well. Serve pureed or chunky.
- If you have young kids, you can reduce the amount of spices or omit certain spices like the cayenne, to make it more palatable for little ones.
- Serve this soup with a dollop of plain yogurt, fresh chopped cilantro, and whole wheat pita chips for added crunch!
Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 14.7g | Fat: 1.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.2g | Sodium: 754.7mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 5.5g