Aubergine Curry (Eggplant Curry)
This aubergine curry is made with pan-roasted eggplant, warm spices, and creamy chickpeas. It's a flavor-packed, one-pot meal in a tomato-based curry sauce. Vegan & gluten free!
Servings: 6 servings
Heat 3 tbsp oil in a large pan and lightly cook the aubergine until golden on all sides. Do not overcrowd the pan, you may need to cook the aubergine in batches.
In the same pan heat the remaining oil and sauté the onion until translucent.
Add the ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric and cayenne pepper. Continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add in the diced tomatoes, vegetable stock and chickpeas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring at regular intervals.
Remove the lid and stir through the cooked aubergine, garam masala and salt.
Cook, uncovered, for a further 20 minutes. If the sauce is becoming too thick add a little water.
Adjust seasoning to suit your taste.
Top with chopped coriander and serve with steamed rice.
- Cook the aubergine in batches to ensure even cooking.
- Dice the aubergine into bite sized pieces, making it quicker to cook and easier when eating.
- There’s no need to remove the skin from the aubergine.
- You may want to, however it’s not imperative, to salt the aubergine before cooking to remove bitterness. Simply sprinkle salt over the diced aubergine and allow it to sit for 30 minutes, rinsing off excess salt and liquid after the 30 minutes has past.
- If the sauce starts to become too dry while cooking add a little water or vegetable stock.
Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 1050mg | Potassium: 726mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 10g