Vegan Chicken Sandwich
There's nothing better than a crispy "chicken" sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and mayo! This vegan chicken sandwich makes a satisfying, flavor-packed lunch or dinner. Serve this crispy yet tender plant-based chicken sandwich with a side of french fries and vegan ranch!
Servings: 4 servings
- ½ cup silken tofu
- 2¼ cups vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp vegan-friendly chicken seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup pickle juice
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ tsp hot sauce
For The “Chicken” Seitan
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the tofu, ¼ cup chicken broth and worcestershire sauce until well combined and the tofu is in small pieces.
In a separate bowl whisk together remaining seitan ingredients.
Gently fold the ingredients together to form a dough.
Using your hands, bring the dough together into a ball. Do not overwork the dough otherwise it will result in chewy “chicken” patties.
Cut the dough into 4 even pieces and shape into patties.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 176 C.
Place the patties in a large baking dish and cover with 2 cups of vegan chicken stock (or vegetable broth). Cover and cook for 1 hour, turning the patties at the 30 minute mark and recovering to continue cooking.
Once cooked remove from the broth and allow the patties to cool for 30 minutes.
For The Coating
Whisk all flour coating ingredients together.
Once the patties have been marinating for 2 hours remove from the marinade.
Dust 1 patty in the coating mixture, making sure to cover all surfaces. Dip the patty back into the marinade liquid and then into the flour coating again. Repeat with remaining patties.
Heat oil in a large pot, fry each patty for 4-5 minutes or until lightly golden and crispy. Remove and drain on paper towel.
Serve crispy patties on a whole wheat bun, with lettuce, sliced tomato and vegan mayo.
- Make sure not to overwork the dough when preparing the patties otherwise this will produce a rubbery patty.
- If you like a little more spice in the seasoning add 1 tsp cracked black pepper or even dried red chili flakes.
- Patties can be prepared ahead of time up to step 8 and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen for 2 months, before soaking in the brine and continuing to cook as described above in the recipe. If freezing patties ensure they are completely defrosted before coating and frying.
- You can add any of your favorite sandwich fillings to this delicious chicken sandwich.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 286kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 1386mg | Potassium: 374mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g