Vegan Bechamel Sauce
Vegan bechamel sauce is a delicious sauce that can be used for so many dishes. It’s made with vegan butter, flour, dairy-free milk, salt and pepper, and nutmeg. This vegan version of béchamel sauce is easy to make, uses simple ingredients, and is ready in just 15 minutes!
Servings: 5 servings
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Heat the milk in a microwave-safe container until warm (1-2 minutes).
Whisk the warm milk into the butter mixture until smooth.
Continue to cook, stirring with a wooden spoon or whisk, for 7-8 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
Remove from the heat and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg if using, whisk to combine.
- You can use any plant-based milk to make this bechamel sauce.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools.
- If the sauce is too thick, add an additional ¼ cup of milk.
- This sauce can be used when making pasta dishes, lasagna or moussaka.
- This basic white sauce recipe uses simple ingredients that you can find at the grocery store.
Serving: 0.5cups | Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 118mg | Potassium: 156mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g