Roasted Chili Corn Salsa (Chipotle Copycat)
This mild salsa has all the flavor without the heat. It's the perfect example of a copycat recipe that is easy to duplicate.
Servings: 6 servings
- 16 ounces Frozen corn defrosted
- ½ Red onion finely diced
- 1 Green bell pepper or poblano pepper finely diced
- 2 Jalapeno peppers seeds removed, finely diced
- ¼ cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Roast the pepper: On a gas range or grill, hold the poblano or bell pepper over a gas flame with tongs to char the skin. Make sure you blister the pepper on all sides, until the skin is mostly black. Place charred pepper into a bowl and cover with cling film. Allow to cool. (If you don't have a gas range you can also do this in the oven on the broil setting). Meanwhile dice your onion, seed & dice the jalapeno and chop the cilantro.
Bring a pot of water to the boil and add the corn kernels. Boil for 3-4 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
When the pepper has cooled, remove the charred skin and seeds and finely dice.
Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl and toss to combine. Make sure to add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with tortilla chips.
- The amount of heat / spiciness level is up to you. Change the peppers based on what you find at the grocery store and what looks freshest.
- Charring your product is a great way to increase flavor. Roasting your corn is a great option if you have the time.
- This fresh salsa is perfect on chips as it has so much flavor. It's also delicious on top of your own burrito bowls.
- Since it lasts for 5 days in the fridge, it's an easy dish to make ahead of a party or game day celebration to free up your time.
- Cilantro can be substituted with parsley if you don’t like it or omitted all together.
- You can use fresh corn cobs for this recipe by adding 3-4 large cobs to the pot of boiling water and cooking for 5-7 minutes. Drain and allow to cool. Using a sharp knife, slice the kernels off the cob.
- Salsa can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Aren't a fan of plastic wrap? It's used here to help "sweat" the peppers to allow the skin to release easily. It doesn't touch your food and in a pinch you can use aluminum foil or a plate as a lid to the bowl!
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 291mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 173IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg