Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole
This vegetarian low-carb breakfast casserole is full of protein, savory flavors, and easy ingredients you will love! Made with fluffy eggs, green and red peppers, spinach, mushrooms, and two different types of cheeses, this easy breakfast recipe is the best!
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 8 button mushrooms sliced or diced
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream or half and half or full-cream milk
- 8 ounces frozen spinach thawed
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- red chili flakes optional, for more spice!
Preheat the oven to 340 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add the diced onion. Cook for two to three minutes or until translucent. Be careful not to burn the onion!
Add the crushed garlic, bell peppers, and sliced mushrooms. Cook until all the vegetables are soft and remove them from the heat.
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper. Mix until everything is fully combined.
Grease a 7x11-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray so the eggs do not stick to the sides. Drain the excess liquids from the cooked vegetables and spread an even layer into the bottom of the dish.
Next, layer the frozen, thawed spinach on top of the vegetables and pour the egg mixture over them. Top the eggs with feta and cheddar cheese.
Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes until cooked through completely. The center should not be able to wiggle when shaken and the color of the casserole should be lightly golden brown.
Remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to cool for ten minutes before serving. Cut the casserole into 12 individual pieces and enjoy!
Refrigerator: Store the leftovers of this casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Freezer: Freeze this casserole by placing individual pieces in saran wrap, plastic wrap, or freezer-safe containers and storing them in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge overnight then reheat in the oven at 350 degrees until warmed through before serving.
- Be sure to drain the vegetables before using in the casserole so it doesn't get too watery.
- Make sure to spray the dish with oil so that the casserole can easily be removed from the dish.
- Feel free to use butter or olive oil instead of nonstick spray.
- Buy crumbled feta cheese or crumble your own block of feta.
- Heavy whipping cream can be substituted with full cream / whole milk or half and half. Using cream will produce a richer, more dense casserole.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 144mg | Sodium: 240mg | Potassium: 220mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g