Alfredo Sauce Without Heavy Cream
This recipe for alfredo sauce without heavy cream is delicious with your favorite pasta! Made with parmesan cheese, black pepper, skim milk, and garlic powder, you will want to prepare this creamy sauce for your next fettuccini alfredo recipe. This comfort food recipe is the best and family-friendly!
Servings: 4 people
- 2 cups low-fat milk 500 ml
- 2 tablespoons corn starch (also called cornflour)
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 3 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley chopped
Heat milk in a pot over medium heat until it starts to simmer.
While milk is heating, combine the cornstarch and cold water in a small mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
When milk has just started to simmer, pour the corn starch mixture into the milk while whisking continuously to ensure no lumps form. Reduce heat and continue to stir until sauce has thickened and is smooth.
Next, add the grated parmesan cheese, cream cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and whisk until smooth. Adjust seasonings if needed.
Stir the chopped parsley through the mixture and serve immediately tossed with your favorite pasta.
- If you want the sauce to be a little thicker, add more of the cornstarch mixture.
- Toss this tasty sauce through cooked fettuccine pasta to create the perfect dinner option.
- Ensure the milk doesn’t come to a boil otherwise the corn starch mixture, when added, will form large lumps very quickly.
- Always use cold water to mix with cornflour before adding to the heated milk.
- Serve with your favorite pasta.
- For a vegan version: Use soy milk or unsweetened almond milk instead of low fat milk and substitute the cheese in this recipe for ½ cup vegan parmesan cheese and 6 tbsp nutritional yeast. You may need to add some additional corn starch to ensure the sauce is at the desired thickness.
Calories: 137kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 306mg | Potassium: 219mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g