You're going to love this healthy cornbread recipe! Just like Jiffy, but way better, this southern cornbread recipe is delicious, subtly sweet, and crumbly! With vegan and gluten-free cornbread options, this recipe is fitting for almost anyone! This traditional cornbread is the perfect addition to any dinner and is a great side dish or snack for the whole family!
Servings: 16 servings
Preheat the oven to 338 degrees Fahrenheit or 170 degrees Celsius. Line an eight-inch square baking pan with wax paper. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Whisk together until combined. Set aside.
In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the milk, lemon juice, honey, eggs and oil. Whisk until well combined.
Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until the batter is smooth with no lumps.
Fill the prepared cake tin with the cornbread batter.
Bake the cornbread for 10-15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Remove the cornbread from the oven and allow it to cool in the tin for five minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
Cut into sixteen equal pieces.
- Be careful not to overcook the cornbread.
- Cook until the cornbread is golden brown.
- Do not overmix the cornbread batter or the cornrbead will be rubbery.
- Store in an airtight container in a dry place for up to three days.
- Freeze the cornbread in the freezer for up to two months.
- To make this recipe gluten free substitute gluten free flour 1:1 for whole wheat flour.
- To make this recipe vegan, substitute the milk for unsweetened almond milk or soy milk, remove the eggs and substitute with ½ cup apple sauce and an additional tsp of baking powder (3 tsp in total) and ¼ cup sugar instead of honey.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 125kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 161mg | Potassium: 143mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g