Healthy French Toast
This easy healthy French toast is incredibly indulgent and packed with flavor! You will love how versatile this delicious breakfast recipe is - it's easily made vegan or gluten free, and includes so many different ideas for toppings!
Servings: 4 people
- 8 slices thick slices of whole wheat sourdough bread Can also use sprouted whole wheat bread, plain sourdough
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup milk unsweetened almond or organic low fat dairy milk
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- zest of 1 orange
- Fresh berries
- Maple syrup
- Greek yogurt
- Sliced banana
- Slivered almonds
Whisk all ingredients from eggs to maple syrup in a medium mixing bowl until well combined. Pour the egg mixture into a flat, shallow dish.
Place 4 slices of bread into the egg mixture and allow to soak for 2 minutes before turning over and soaking again for another 1 minute.
While the bread is soaking, melt 1 tsp of coconut oil in a large skillet over a medium heat.
Remove the bread from the egg mixture and cook two to three minutes on each side until golden brown. Repeat with 3 bread slices. Then repeat: melt 1 tsp coconut oil in a large skillet again, and use that to cook the remaining 4 bread slices.
Serve this recipe with your favorite toppings!
Nutritional information calculated using whole wheat sourdough, 1% organic milk, and no additional toppings.
- Feel free to substitute the coconut oil with organic grass-fed butter
- Have the eggs at room temperature to reduce the "eggy" flavor
- Use two-day-old bread for the best results (and to avoid soggy french toast). If using fresh bread, it will not be as good.
- Use gluten-free bread instead of sourdough when you're wanting gluten-free French toast.
- You can easily make the egg mixture ahead of time. Store the mixture in an airtight container overnight in the fridge and use it the next day. Just give it a quick whisk before using.
- You can use skim milk, whole milk, soy milk, almond milk, or any other nut milk.
Serving: 2slices | Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 167mg | Sodium: 313mg | Potassium: 302mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g