Honeycomb Cake (Vietnamese Pandan)
This vibrant green honeycomb cake gets its color from Pandan Extract. This traditional Vietnamese cake is known as Bánh Bò Nướng. This cake has a spongy, soft texture, and lightly sweetened. The pandan leaf extract is nutty and pairs nicely with the rich coconut milk and coconut shavings on top!
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp Pandan Extract
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- cooking spray to grease the cake pan
- ¼ cup shredded coconut optional topping
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C degrees.
Crack eggs and beat lightly with a fork. Do not overbeat otherwise your cake won’t have the beautiful honeycomb texture.
Add in water, coconut milk and pandan extract and mix until combined.
Mix all the dry ingredients together.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix slowly until fully combined.
Grease the Bundt tin (you can also use loaf tin) with cooking spray and pour the prepared batter to the pan.
Bake for 50-55 minutes. Turn off the oven but keep cake in the oven with the oven door partially open for 20 minutes.
Remove the cake from the form and let it cool. Top with shredded coconut (optional) and serve.
- Use a quality Pandan Extract. There are many different varieties out there, some are of low quality with added artificial ingredients. Use an extract that is pure, and bright green in color.
- Break up the yolks of the eggs with a fork, and then beat. This will help keep you from over beating the eggs which can cause the cake to have too much air.
- Fold the ingredients together gently. You don't want to over mix the batter and lose the airy quality.
- Remove the cake from the cake pan to cool right away! This will keep the cake from collapsing on itself in the pan.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 181kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 44mg | Potassium: 169mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g