Eggs In A Basket
A childhood favorite, eggs in a basket gets a grown up makeover with the addition of smoky paprika, and a green onion garnish. With a gooey yolk center, and buttery toasted crispy bread, this easy breakfast is loved by the whole family!
- 2 slices whole grain bread or preferred bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp butter at room temperature
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp chopped green onions for garnish
Using a round cookie cutter, cut out the center of each slice of bread. Butter the side of each slice of bread including the cutouts / round hole pieces. If you don't have a cookie cutter, you can also use the top of a glass to press into the bread and get a round cutout.
Place a non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. You can also use a griddle. Place the buttered bread including the cutout into the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy. Flip the bread slice and the cutout and add one egg into each hole.
Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
On medium heat, cover the skillet and heat until the egg is cooked to your preferred doneness.
Serve immediately sprinkled with green onions.
- Serve with fresh cracked pepper, and a garnish of green onions.
- Or try thinly sliced avocado and serve on top of the toasted bread and egg.
- Instead of salt and pepper, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
- Make sure skillet is hot before adding the bread. You can flick a few drops of water on the pan, and if they sizzle and pop, the bread is ready to add.
- Cook the egg to your preference. Some people like a runny egg, while others prefer a hard egg. Cover the skillet and cook the egg until you reach your desired doneness. Don't move the egg toast until your egg is ready to be served, otherwise the yolk may break.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 201mg | Sodium: 524mg | Potassium: 149mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g