How to Dry Basil in the Oven
This easy step by step tutorial shows you how to dry basil in the oven in three simple steps. Using this simple method you'll have basil to use in your recipes throughout the year! It only takes about an hour!
Servings: 1 jar of herbs
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
Wash the entire basil plant well by running under cool water. Pat dry with a paper towel or kitchen towel. Lie flat on towel, and allow to dry completely overnight.
Preheat oven to the lowest setting (usually 170-180 degrees F).
Remove basil leaves from the stem. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Don't overlap. If you have a lot of basil you may need a couple of baking sheets.
Bake for 1 hour or longer (up to 4 hours) - until the basil is crispy and dry. They should crumble easily when you pick them up.
Remove the leaves from the oven. Transfer to a bowl. Crumble with your fingers or use a mortar and pestle.
Let the basil cool, then transfer the crumbled leaves into a spice jar. Seal with lid. Keep in a cool dry place. When stored properly the dried basil will keep for a year or longer!
- Dry as much or as little basil as you like using this simple method.
- Allow the basil to dry overnight. This will reduce the time needed to dry in the oven.
- It typically takes 45 minutes to 1 hour, but could take longer depending on your oven's calibration, and how dry the basil leaves are to begin with. If you dry them overnight, it should only take an hour. You'll have to check on them frequently (every 10 minutes) after the hour mark to make sure they don't burn.
- Store in spice jar in a cool dry place to lengthen the time it will keep!
- Use in your favorite Italian recipes!
- Store in a cool dry place
- Wash basil leaves in a bowl of water with a teaspoon of white vinegar for ten minutes. This will kill any small bugs or bacteria that is on the surface of the leaves.
- Will keep for 1-2 years!
Serving: 1tsp | Calories: 1kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 24mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g