Vegan Honey Recipe
This vegan honey is oh, so good and tastes just like the real thing! Naturally sweetened with whole apples and raw sugar, this really is the best bee-free vegan honey recipe out there. Perfect for adding to all types of foods!
Servings: 16 tbsp
- 10 red apples
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup raw sugar
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
Chop the apples into cubes, then remove the seeds, but keep the peels.
Place the apples in a food processor with the water, and blend until purèed, about five minutes. Don't make it too smooth as that will make it harder to squeeze the juice out. You may need to scratch the sides a few times to be sure you'll get the most juice.
Place the apple puree into a nut milk bag or cheesecloth to separate the juice from the pulp. Squeeze the liquid into a saucepan. You should have about 2 cups of juic.
Add sugar, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice to the saucepan.
Bring the mixture to a boil and steam at low heat until the juice starts to thicken. This process should take 30 minutes, but it can also take longer.
Once the liquid begins to thicken (it will get even thicker when cold), stir it regularly. After two to three minutes, remove it from the stove. Be careful not to caramelize the honey at this point, or it will get super hard when cold, like candy.
Let the honey cool in the saucepan. Next, transfer it to a jar with a lid.
- Keep the honey at room temperature for a light and spreadable consistency.
- Avoid high heat as it can overcook the honey.
- Use a clear, airtight jar to store the honey in. It will keep at room temperature for a few months thanks to its high sugar content!
- If you prefer thicker honey, then place this vegan honey in the refrigerator, but it's not necessary to store it in the fridge.
- Makes 1 cup total, 1 serving = 1 tbsp
Serving: 1tbsp | Calories: 71kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 51mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g