Vegan BBQ Sauce
This Vegan BBQ Sauce is a simple homemade sauce that is healthier than store bought, and totally amazing! It has a tangy flavor, with a slightly smoky and sweet finish. It works great as a dip, for seasoning veggies, or whatever you enjoy most!
Servings: 16 tablespoons
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp rice syrup depending on how sweet you like your bbq sauce
- ⅛-¼ cup brown sugar depending on how sweet you like your bbq sauce
- 3 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir or whisk until combined.
Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes until the sauce is thick. Cook it for longer if you prefer a thicker sauce.
Store in an airtight container or mason jar in the fridge for up to one week.
- Add some liquid smoke for an extra smoky flavor.
- To make it hotter, add a dash of cayenne pepper, chili powder, hot sauce, or crushed red pepper flakes.
- I chose to use vegan Worcestershire sauce in this recipe. The traditional one would work too but then it wouldn’t be a vegan bbq sauce.
- The flavors in this sauce will taste different when the sauce is hot vs. cold, so if you want to adjust any seasonings, wait until the sauce is cold to taste it.
- Nutrition information is calculated using 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tbsp rice syrup. Tip: To reduce the sugar in this recipe, use 1/8 cup of brown sugar and 1 tbsp of rice syrup. Then each serving of this bbq sauce will have 19 calories and only 3 grams of sugar!
Serving: 1tbsp | Calories: 29kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 188mg | Potassium: 93mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g