Cheese Buns Recipe
Delicious, soft, fluffy, cheddar cheese buns are tender on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside, and make perfect dinner roll alternative! Filled and topped with gooey cheese, these cheese bread rolls are great as a side dish, for a snack, or for sandwiches too!
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time25 minutes mins
Rising Time1 hour hr 30 minutes mins
Total Time2 hours hrs 10 minutes mins
Course: Appetizer, Bread, Breakfast, Brunch, Side Dish, Snack
Servings: 8 buns
In a mixing bowl whisk together both of the flours, yeast, salt and 1 cup of grated cheese. Reserve ½ cup of cheese for the topping.
In a separate bowl heat the almond milk and honey until lukewarm, stir through the oil and make sure the honey has melted.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry to form a dough.
Use your hands to bring the dough together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes.
Place in a bowl, cover and rest in a warm place for 1 hour to allow the dough to double in size.
Turn the dough out and divide into 8 equal pieces. Shape the pieces into balls, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Cover and allow to rise in a warm place again for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 338 degrees F / 170 C
Lightly brush the tops of the dough balls with the whisked egg and sprinkle the reserved cheese on top.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through.
- Allow the dough to rest, covered, in a warm place.
- Turn these into mini cheese buns by using half of the dough for each roll - you'll end up with 16 buns and each one will have 150 calories and 6 grams of protein.
- To make these cheddar cheese buns vegan friendly substitute the cheese for vegan cheese, swap the honey for maple syrup and brush the tops of the buns with almond milk.
- To make this recipe gluten free, substitute the flour for gluten free flour.
- Store cooked buns in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Buns can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Serving: 1cheesebun | Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 344mg | Potassium: 127mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g