Start your day with these decadent, easy chocolate doughnuts! They are light, fresh, delicious, and healthier when homemade! They make for the perfect special breakfast, brunch or dessert!
Servings: 8 doughnuts
For The Icing / Toppings
- ¾-1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- Shredded coconut OR vegan-friendly sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray donut pan with vegan-friendly cooking spray (vegetable oil, extra virgin olive oil, etc.).
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and salt.
Next, add the wet ingredients: almond milk, applesauce, melted coconut oil and apple cider vinegar.
Mix all ingredients well until a thick batter forms.
Scoop the donut batter in a piping bag and squeeze it into the donut pan. You will have to do this in 2 batches since the batter makes 8 donuts.
Bake for 15 minutes and allow to cool.
To make the topping, mix together confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and almond milk. Mix vigorously and well.
Once the donuts are cooled, use a spoon to spread the cocoa topping on each of the donuts. Sprinkle with either shredded coconut or sprinkles.
Top Tips For Making Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts
- Don’t overmix the batter, or they will be dense and stiff.
- It’s best to wait to add the frosting until the doughnuts have had time to cool completely.
- Don’t forget to grease or spray the donut pan. Otherwise, they may stick, and you will have a mess on your hands.
- Don’t fill the doughnut pan too full. You’ll need to fill each around ¾ full, so it doesn’t bake over the top of the pan.
- The chocolate donuts are done baking when you can insert a toothpick into the doughnut, and it comes out clean.
- After the donuts have cooled, remove them from the pan. Be sure to let them stay in the pan to cool, or they may be too warm and fall apart.
Serving: 1donut | Calories: 209kcal | Carbohydrates: 37.9g | Protein: 2.4g | Fat: 6.3g | Saturated Fat: 5.2g | Sodium: 164.8mg | Potassium: 80.2mg | Fiber: 3.5g | Sugar: 24g